This is the Canon RF lens roadmap

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
Bets for that 135 1.4.... I bet for 3500$, and would be amazing (and cheap in some sense, with a 1,4x would be almost a 189mm f2)
I find it puzzling at times to see that for a new range of mirrorless cameras that are inherently lighter and in many cases smaller than their DSLR equivalents, the first lenses put on the market are the biggest, heaviest (and most expensive) for a particular focal length or zoom range. A high-quality relatively compact RF 135mm f:2.5 IS Macro under $1,000 would sell like hot cakes. Affordable good quality glass would help cushion the initial investment in new camera bodies.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I find it puzzling at times to see that for a new range of mirrorless cameras that are inherently lighter and in many cases smaller than their DSLR equivalents, the first lenses put on the market are the biggest, heaviest (and most expensive) for a particular focal length or zoom range. A high-quality relatively compact RF 135mm f:2.5 IS Macro under $1,000 would sell like hot cakes. Affordable good quality glass would help cushion the initial investment in new camera bodies.
But as has been explained many times in the past, losing a mirror and pentaprism does’t make the lenses optical formulae different, and the ever increasing demand for lenses to have “higher IQ” (resolution and across the frame sharpness) means those optical formulae are not going to get smalleR but larger.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Conspicuous in their absence from the list: 300mm f/2.8 or any DO lenses...
I believe canon is no longer distinguishing DO lenses. There was an article here a while back that implied DO optics will be used in many lens designs going forward, some L and some not, but none with the green ring. So some of these longer ones may be DO. Size and weight will be the clues, once we know them.

-Brian

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
The market for 135mm prime lenses is actually pretty small, especially considering that the common focal length range for macro lenses is 90mm-100mm range and they will continue to offer that option. So it makes most sense to have a lens, which is the most expensive but also the most unique. Can be used for portraits or shooting indoor sports as well.

A 135 2.5 IS Macro is neither compact (it has to extend a lot more, slower focus as well) nor cheap.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... Canon’s lens roadmap for the remainder of 2020 and likely into 2022 ...
Honestly I believe this to be a roadmap likely into 2024. But if they're faster it'll be welcome.

I'm still missing a midrange 50 mm prime, e.g. 50/1.8 IS STM macro. It seems Canon sees no market in that as they didn't see with the EF equvalent for aeons.

But this
RF 24mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro
looks really fascinating...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Honestly I believe this to be a roadmap likely into 2024. But if they're faster it'll be welcome.

I quite honestly agree. Given Canon has released about 17 RF lenses (and two converters) so far (forgive me if I forgot one) this looks a lot like a three year road map. And although I believe these lenses will appear over a three year period, I do believe Canon will additionally release about five - eight lenses , which are not listed/ rumored at the moment.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Can someone explain to the
  • Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro
What would this lens be best used for and what types of shot will this lens be effective for? Portraits up close? Landscape? Macro of flowers and bugs? Please help. want to learn about lenses and uses and how this in future could be paired with r5 camera.Thanks
Actually, this is my most anticipated lens, next to the 135mm. This will be the king of video lens in my eyes. Small, bright and wide enough for in crowd videojournalistic shots such as weddings, street manifestations, tight spaces as in a metro and buses, dancing during a party. It is light enough for any table-top product videography, handheld and you don't have to extend your hand too much; over-the-table food sliding, punch-in and orbit of any product videography. The R5 will be very happy with it: using different crops and IBIS you can get, without changing a lens, 24mm, 35mm and 40mm and you can handheld it for a long time. It is the macro property that gets me exited. This means that I can punch in, then transition to something else, while still in focus. I would choose from where to defocus in post. Finally, it is my most used focal length for gimbal work. I favor the R5 over any video camera for that reason.
Photography-wise, I am not seeing much need. I prefer a 35mm, even when shooting in tight room such as hotel bedroom, or bathroom. Yet, I have seen people using it for portrait. I have used wider lenses on cosplay photography, but that is not for everybody. It allows you to put the lens right at the tip of a weapon, using it as a leading line to the face of the cosplayer.
Hope that gives you more idea on how I intend to use it.
The 135mm is my preferred focal length for portraiture and fashion. The current EF lens is to prone for lens flare. Some people adore flares, not me.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
The market for 135mm prime lenses is actually pretty small, especially considering that the common focal length range for macro lenses is 90mm-100mm range and they will continue to offer that option. So it makes most sense to have a lens, which is the most expensive but also the most unique. Can be used for portraits or shooting indoor sports as well.

A 135 2.5 IS Macro is neither compact (it has to extend a lot more, slower focus as well) nor cheap.
Points taken, I had put macro more in the sense of the current RF 35 and 85 IS non-L primes, where macro seems to indicate more a "better than average minimum focusing distance" rather than purpose-driven lenses such as EF 100 or 180mm which do indeed drive up bulk and weight. New lenses are not automatically heavier / bulkier in RF, I sold my EF 35mm f:2 IS and bought the RF 35mm f: 1.8 IS which is lighter notably thanks to a much smaller front element.

Upvote 0

Mahk43

EOS R6
CR Pro
Feb 28, 2020
France
www.clarenc.art
Can someone explain to the
  • Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro
What would this lens be best used for and what types of shot will this lens be effective for? Portraits up close? Landscape? Macro of flowers and bugs? Please help. want to learn about lenses and uses and how this in future could be paired with r5 camera.Thanks

Yeah these things, and even more!
Those 1.8 lenses are cheap, with not the best but quite good quality, compacts, and very short focus distance to make proxy photography if you want, but you can also shoot anything.
I think this one will be very compact, maybe a pancake? Could be awsome

Upvote 0

ctk

Refurb EOS R Kit
Mar 25, 2020
It's a little disappointing to me that they aren't planning on releasing a 24 1.4 any time soon...this would be the perfect lens in RF mount!
If they make a 24L it will probably be a 1.2.

After the disappointment of the 50 1.8 I am holding out hope for Samyang and Sigma to port some existing primes over. I loved the Samyang 45 1.8.

Upvote 0
Still holding out hope for a 24-70F4 L IS!

-Brian

My feeling is that the 24-105 f/4L IS is sharp enough that the minor reduction in volume and weight along with the need for a lower price point would not make sales volumes and profit margins high enough to make it a priority. The other lenses on this list fill gaps. A 24-70 f/4L IS would not.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I’ll do you guys a favor.

I’ll go ahead and drop $3000 on a 100-500L and the 1.4X.

Guaranteed that twenty seconds after my “return by” date expires Canon will announce a 200-600L f4 - 5.6 for $4000.

Ain’t that always the way?

That didn't work when I tried to get them to release the M5 mark II by purchasing an M6 mark II.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 17, 2019

Don't see the RF 200-600mm F5.6 on there, I believe this one is be a best seller. and would be the answer to sony's 200-600mm and nikon 200-500 f5.6.
I know canon is trying to get some small light beginner lenses out there but don't forget about the enthusiast level and pros who would jump at a lens like this.
For pro this zoom would sit nicely on a second body with their big telephoto prime for that occasion the subject gets too close to the lens to get the shot.
Funny reading some blogs of photographers taking out their iPhone to get pics because their subject got closer than they anticipated.

Upvote 0
Don't see the RF 200-600mm F5.6 on there, I believe this one is be a best seller. and would be the answer to sony's 200-600mm and nikon 200-500 f5.6.

I actually liked the way handled the situation. 100-500mm is a loooot more versatile and more useable in so many situations. It also is lighter and shorter. The 200-600mm is quite long...
Since there are several telephotos and Converters available I'm quite sure Canon sees the need for another zoom lense. If they do, I'd actually hope the go for a "real telezoom wildlife lense". I think on canon news there once was a patent for like 250-700mm or even 800mm. That'd fit quite nice in the portfolio.

Upvote 0