Small question about RF 35+85 STM lenses

Friends, recently I was in a store and wanted to buy R5 + RF STM 35 mm and 85 mm (both lenses have stabilization and macro mode, you know). What surprised me was the speed of focusing in video mode! Everything is terribly slow! In photo mode everything is fine, but as soon as I turn on the video mode, the lenses don't have time to focus on my wife's eyes, for example. And I so wanted to shoot a blog about children and our dog. Very very very slow, on any settings!

After reading the forums and reviews, I realized that Canon specifically slows down the STM motor so that the sound does not spoil when recording in video mode. But I don't need to record audio, I use a directional microphone or recorder.

Question! How do I get these two lenses, which are great in their characteristics, to focus faster, in both the two photo and video modes equally? I tried all the settings I could find. Nothing helps! Do you also have these two lenses focus slowly in video mode? Or did I miss something? With 50 /1.2 and 24-105 /4 video mode works fine.

Thanks!

Last edited:

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
For the R at least, this is setting you should look for, I think:

View attachment 194416

Should be similar on the R5.
Have you adjusted it already?

On my R5 setting it to +2 makes it noisy and slow instead of just slow. I don't really notice a difference between the speeds when having it set to 'during shooting', it seems equally glacial regardless of recording status. I tested with the RF50 f/1.8, but the RF85 f/2 behaved pretty similar in the past. The 85mm is less annoying since my kids will be further away when filming, which means the STM motor has to work less for large-ish adjustments.

The RF50 and RF85 L variants focus a lot faster in movie mode.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
For the R at least, this is setting you should look for, I think:

View attachment 194416

Should be similar on the R5.
Have you adjusted it already?

Yes, I did it in the first minute. After searching for another half hour, I found other settings for tracking the object, keeping it in focus, and set everything to maximum. And nothing happened, it feels like (((

• Sad
Upvote 0
On my R5 setting it to +2 makes it noisy and slow instead of just slow. I don't really notice a difference between the speeds when having it set to 'during shooting', it seems equally glacial regardless of recording status. I tested with the RF50 f/1.8, but the RF85 f/2 behaved pretty similar in the past. The 85mm is less annoying since my kids will be further away when filming, which means the STM motor has to work less for large-ish adjustments.

The RF50 and RF85 L variants focus a lot faster in movie mode.

Have you tried RF 24-70 /2.8 or even 28-70 /2.0 ? Do they work fast? I consider them as a replacement for 35+85, but of course I would not like to, these two lenses would be perfect for my shooting.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Have you tried RF 24-70 /2.8 or even 28-70 /2.0 ? Do they work fast? I consider them as a replacement for 35+85, but of course I would not like to, these two lenses would be perfect for my shooting.

I only tried the 24-70 for still when I had it, the 28-70 is scheduled to get rented next May :) Since they both have USM motors I'm going to assume they can focus faster in video mode, but I have no direct video experience with them.

Upvote 0