Are you looking for fast autofocus prime lenses for your EOS M camera? Viltrox may have what you want

Well Canon apparently never intended to make a wide variety of lenses for the M system: All they've ever produced since 2013 is four zooms and three primes. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Canon will produce EOS M cameras as long as people buy them and with the lenses... it's gonna remain the same. Slow or no progress as it always has been.
This is all Canon has: 11-22mm, 15-45mm, 18-150mm, 55-200mm, 22 f/2, 28mm f/3.5, 32mm f/1.4

Think is that covers 11 to 200 mm, and is likely all the target audience needs.

Not that I agree with it of course. But since I like a 50 on FF as an all arounder/walk around I have often been tempted to simply by a M mount camera and that 32 f1.4 for my every day camera/lens combo and call it a day.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Think is that covers 11 to 200 mm, and is likely all the target audience needs.

Not that I agree with it of course. But since I like a 50 on FF as an all arounder/walk around I have often been tempted to simply by a M mount camera and that 32 f1.4 for my every day camera/lens combo and call it a day.

I find myself reaching for my M6-II with its Tamron 18-200 (the EF-M version, not the noisy EF-S one) a lot. I know a lot of people had trouble with the 18-200 but it has worked well for me. To be sure the lens looks a bit big on the M6-II but I take pictures with it, not of it. :D

EDIT: I just realized that will seem (justifiably) to be off topic since this is about primes. I was really responding to the notion that EF-Ms can be very convenient.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've been impatiently awaiting the Viltrox 23mm and 56mm ever since I bought my M5 six months ago. Searching for large aperture, autofocus lprime ens options for the camera, I learned about the Viltrox that had been available for e-mount and X-mountr and was happy to hear they were promising the same for EF-M "soon". Just what I wanted and great quality, value (according to all the reviews in the other mounts).

Finally! A full year after releasing them for Sony and Fuji, here they are!

But I won't be buying them.

I don't want SILVER lenses!

That may sound like nitpicking, but I bought an M5 largely to use for street photography and candid portraiture (plus for some travel, when we're able to do that again). I already have several DSLRs for sports, action, wildlife, macro, landscapes and studio portraiture. Those are big, intrusive cameras and lenses. The M5 needed to be just the opposite... Small, unobtrusive, downright "touristy" looking to not attract attention and not scream "I'm taking your picture" to anyone it's pointed at.

Silver lenses on a black camera pretty much spoil that low-profile scenario. Sure, they can look great on a partly silver camera body and aren't any problem for other types of photography. But a silver lens sticks out like a sore thumb on a black camera when you don't want to be noticed any more than necessary.

Viltrox says they'll eventually produce them in black, too. When? Do I have to wait another six months or year? They aren't saying.

In the meantime I guess I'll have to get a Canon 22mm and Sigma 56mm to use on my M5. Maybe I'll like those enough I won't want to switch to the Viltrox if and when they paint theirs black (like they've done with every other lens until now).

Too bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Viltrox strikes me as a cheap and inferior brand so I don't have my hopes up.

There are a number of reviews online for the Fuji and Sony versions that give the Viltrox very high marks (they've been available a year longer than the Canon versions, but are basically the same).

Some reviewers even go so far as to say that in some cases Viltrox are superior to similar OEM lenses. Do a search for videos and written reviews for any model that interests you.

Upvote 0

Linteria

EF-M Evangelist
Oct 23, 2020
I've been impatiently awaiting the Viltrox 23mm and 56mm ever since I bought my M5 six months ago. Searching for large aperture, autofocus lprime ens options for the camera, I learned about the Viltrox that had been available for e-mount and X-mountr and was happy to hear they were promising the same for EF-M "soon". Just what I wanted and great quality, value (according to all the reviews in the other mounts).

Finally! A full year after releasing them for Sony and Fuji, here they are!

But I won't be buying them.

I don't want SILVER lenses!

That may sound like nitpicking, but I bought an M5 largely to use for street photography and candid portraiture (plus for some travel, when we're able to do that again). I already have several DSLRs for sports, action, wildlife, macro, landscapes and studio portraiture. Those are big, intrusive cameras and lenses. The M5 needed to be just the opposite... Small, unobtrusive, downright "touristy" looking to not attract attention and not scream "I'm taking your picture" to anyone it's pointed at.

Silver lenses on a black camera pretty much spoil that low-profile scenario. Sure, they can look great on a partly silver camera body and aren't any problem for other types of photography. But a silver lens sticks out like a sore thumb on a black camera when you don't want to be noticed any more than necessary.

Viltrox says they'll eventually produce them in black, too. When? Do I have to wait another six months or year? They aren't saying.

In the meantime I guess I'll have to get a Canon 22mm and Sigma 56mm to use on my M5. Maybe I'll like those enough I won't want to switch to the Viltrox if and when they paint theirs black (like they've done with every other lens until now).

Too bad.

I have a silver/black M6ii, so i have the opposite feelings towards silver lenses. Bring em on! But i see your point about being low-profile. And yea, on a black body the silver looks kinda wrong. On my camera, either color works so half of my lenses are silver.

I'm considering that 56mm Viltrox. I wanted the Sigma, but i can't justify spending upwards of 400 on it for those flat, dull colors and the chunky body. The Viltrox seems to have better color science at over 100 bucks cheaper. It's also smaller and i assume lighter, more in line with the Canon lens profile. The reviews from Fuji and Sony users i've seen show really great results. The only downside i've found is some CA when wide open and pixel peeping, but otherwise it's pretty sharp for its price.

Also, you've had the M5 for 6 months and STILL don't have the pancake?! Watcha waiting on? It's literally the best value on the system. $200 brand new, less on ebay.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
No time like the present to leave that club. Such a wonderful lens for 200 bucks.

Appropos that comment, I also own an M6...but don't have any of the longer zooms, and have no use for the 15-45mm kit lens I do have. By far the most commonly used lens on that camera is the 18-200 from Tamron, native EF-M mount (it also comes as an EF-S but it's really loud). I have the 11-22, the 22mm and 32mm. Never saw the need for the 28, but that could change someday.

Upvote 0

Linteria

EF-M Evangelist
Oct 23, 2020
Appropos that comment, I also own an M6...but don't have any of the longer zooms, and have no use for the 15-45mm kit lens I do have. By far the most commonly used lens on that camera is the 18-200 from Tamron, native EF-M mount (it also comes as an EF-S but it's really loud). I have the 11-22, the 22mm and 32mm. Never saw the need for the 28, but that could change someday.
The 28mm is actually one of my faves. While IMO it's not quite as sharp as the 32mm or 22mm in non-macro shooting, it does surprisingly well in low light and even better in daylight considering it's not the fastest. Naturally, in macro and super macro it really shines.

Upvote 0