Battery compatible with Canon EOS R6

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I consider the long-term health of my camera, and I stick with original Canon. I don't mind using the older original Canon batteries in my R6 as backups for a couple of the new ones.
I agree. I also found out that LP-E6N batteries behave just as Lp-E6NH in my R5 as far as continuous modes are concerned (Green High Speed plus, etc). I just got a few powerbanks to charge them in place (Using plural in the word powerbank is a funny story and destined maybe for a different thread....)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I only use Canon batteries in my R5 and R6, I have 3 total LP-E6NH batteries and 1 LPE6N battery. I did buy a set of RAVpower batteries for $36 because they came with a USB charger I can use with my powerbanks (I never charge batteries in Camera, easier to replace a melted battery than a whole Camera body).

I do not use the RAVpower batteries in the R5 or R6 but they seem fine in my old 7D, if you can justify the cost always go with Canon batteries.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Once, while traveling in an area without access to good stores or camera supplies, I needed a battery for my 5Diii. I was very fortunate to come across a knockoff at a market in one of the cities. It worked but the battery became quite warm with charging and did not provide many shots after signaling a full charge. Once I was back in civilization, I got some new OEM batteries and the temporary replacement was sent to the recycling bin.

I know that there are many brands of batteries in the correct sizes out there and we've seen recommendations of many used with great success in these forums. But, after spending thousands on my R5, I don't want to risk the camera being harmed. So for me, I am using the Canon LPE6NH that came with the camera, and 4 old Canon LPE6N's from my now sold 5Div.

BTW, even though there is an option to do so, I do not charge batteries in the camera. My paranoia says heat is not a good thing for our devices and I don't want to heat up the battery while charging in the camera.

Upvote 0
BTW, even though there is an option to do so, I do not charge batteries in the camera. My paranoia says heat is not a good thing for our devices and I don't want to heat up the battery while charging in the camera.
A very sound position to take. I've never felt secure charging batteries in the camera - even Canon will suffer the odd dud, on the law of probabilities, and I don't want it to be one that's in my camera at the time! I think if you have an option, you should always charge out of the camera.

Upvote 0
I have yet to encounter a third-party battery for any respectable-brand product that is anywhere near as good as an OEM. One time when I left a camera for repair, my barely-functional Lenmar battery (which I mostly used as a backup) was inside. When I got it back, it had an actual Canon battery in it. Out of guilt I made two trips to try to swap back before the shop said, "Meh, it's just for running cameras while we test, we don't need that good of a battery, don't bother with it."

Upvote 0
This just came out this morning:

The upshot: the new LP-E6NH batteries don't give you much more capacity after initial wear (about 8 recharges). Benefit is all about communication with camera firmware in the new R5/R6.

There will be some third party batteries (older ones from 5+ years ago) added for comparison over next few weeks. -tig

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
This just came out this morning:

The upshot: the new LP-E6NH batteries don't give you much more capacity after initial wear (about 8 recharges). Benefit is all about communication with camera firmware in the new R5/R6.

There will be some third party batteries (older ones from 5+ years ago) added for comparison over next few weeks. -tig
Thanks for that, most useful.

Upvote 0