Patent: More patents related to a new style of ILC from Canon

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon News has uncovered a pretty interesting and pretty in-depth set of patents for what looks to be an interchangeable lens gimbal style camera, though there may not actually be a gimbal here.
From this Canon patent
In recent years, a video distribution service using a communication network such as the Internet has become widespread, and a user can upload captured video content to the video distribution service. Further, when a user shoots a moving image, it is required to shoot a moving image in a free posture in various situations and to take a moving image from various angles. As a related technique, an imaging device of Patent Document 1 has been proposed. The image pickup apparatus of Patent Document 1 makes it possible to invert the display of the display unit according to the orientation of the lens unit while rotating the lens unit...

Continue reading...

domo_p1000

EOS-1D X MkIII | EOS-1D X MkII
CR Pro
Aug 22, 2013
I wonder if this will be an EF-M mount? I like the inclusion of the hotshoe as well...It will be interesting to see how this works - especially if they choose to go with an APS-C sensor.
Looking at the arrangement of lens mount contacts, it is EFM (I appreciate that this image only shows EF-M and EF - I will let someone else try to find the RF mount image, but I don't think RF matches the main diagram).
Canon Mounts.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
EFM makes sense for size/weight, and this would make a sizable dent in the OSMO market. It would also make an excellent camera for a drone (lose the hand grip and put the gimbal on the airframe), which is exactly where the OSMO came from in the first place.

I seem to recall suggesting a few years ago that a 'lens cap' camera would be in interesting product. Which this could be the basis of.

Interesting times.

Upvote 0
If I counted the lens pins on that thingy I see 11 pins directing towards RF mount. With some APS-C like size (or Super35 like the Cxx cameras) maybe the C30 ...
Hopefully the two round things on the handle are dial wheels which would make it a perfectly ergonomical camera for a lot of things.
Hopefulle 401 and 402 do not only pan and tilt for changing the perspective but also will add some gimbal stabilization.

Finally a very interesting concept and with RF mount it would be compatible with RF 35 IS + with EF-M mount it would be compatible with EF-M 22 and 32 ...

Upvote 0
I look at the pics and feel: "Horisont is going to dance!" . Nah, why can't they just use gimbal ... Are they going to do hardcore IBIS, to get horisont right ... ? Or is the sensor and lens on a disc, which rotates or turns accoding to (against ) handle grip, in order to keep the horisont staight? Can't really see any future in product, which does not automaticly keep the horisont staight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon News has uncovered more patents relating to the vlogging style ILC that follows the release of patents last month about the same product.
This patent goes into some detail and both DPReview and Canon News thinks we may be looking at an EF to EF-M adapter on this device. Which would make some sense considering the size and weight of EF-M lenses, keep in mind that drawings aren’t always an accurate depiction of certain things.

We also get a pretty detailed photo of a shotgun microphone attached to this new camera type.
Whatever is going on here, we’re up to almost 10 detailed patents about this product. Be sure to...

Continue reading...

Upvote 0

Joel C

EOS R6, EOS R, EOS RP
CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Tacoma, WA
It's just such a strange project really. I am kinda excited to see what this is going to be, or if it pans out at all. Obviously this will be mainly for video function which i would be able to get a lot of use out of it, but, begs the question will it actually record video for under 2k$? Time will tell.

Upvote 0