Breakthrough Photography launches the ‘Breakthrough R’ drop-in filters for the Canon EOS R system

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
I'll bet you a steak dinner that the new RF50/1.2 requires a filter to achieve any kind of water resistance. I think, if memory serves the old EF 50/1.2 was the same.
Note - the new RF L lenses do not require a filter on the front of the lens to maintain or achieve their weather resistance to dust and moisture. I believe Canon started changing that design element of their L-series lenses when they came out with the version II of the 100-400mm and the 70-200mm. For example, my 70-200mm is the version I (the original EF f2.8L IS) and it is recommended for complete/robust weather-sealing to place a filter on the front. I don't use mine that way and have never had an issue. I have shot in the rain but not heavy elements, nor in an ocean-spray, or fresh-water spray atmosphere - only 'medium' to light rain.

Upvote 0
Sweet! More options for my filter adapter!
I was excited to hear about these drop in filters. I could use my Sigma 14mm f/1.8 with a light pollution filter inserted into my Canon drop in adapter. I ordered and payed for one right away in August hoping get to use it in the fall.

it is now January, 2021 and I still have not received it. I’ve contacted them several times and each time been told that it will ship shortly.
Canon Rumors shouldn’t post that something is not available from such an unreliable manufacturer. Great idea from Breakthrough Photography but don’t sell something that doesn’t exist!

Upvote 0
thanks for the feedback guys.. guess I'll be crossing them off.. the idea certainly intrigued me but always wary of products that aren't yet produced and shipping.

You can always wait until it's available in the retail channels, but it'll take longer. I had ordered their glass filter (rectangular plates) system when they were first developed and launched on kickstarter, and yes, it took longer to get in-hand than what they had estimated, but I am happy with the product. I used to use B&W, but Breakthrough's high density filters were better. I also like their combo ND/polarizer screw in filter.

Upvote 0

ColorBlindBat

CR Pro
Aug 30, 2018
An update.

I just received an email from breakthrough that my clear drop in filter has shipped. My VND's will ship shortly (that could mean anything).

Dingo,

When did you place your order?

I ordered an X4 Clear and VND-R 2-11 stop drop in filters on August 5th the day after their announcement.

Still nothing from them regarding an approximate shipping date.

Upvote 0

ColorBlindBat

CR Pro
Aug 30, 2018
On the Sept 14th.

Oh heck. You should have got some sort of notification by now.

Dingo,

Did you order the X2 or X4 clear filter?

If the X2, maybe they are having problems producing the X4s.

If you also ordered the X4 clear filter, then it will be time for another attempt at communicating with them via email.

Upvote 0
I sent an email the other day because if you go on the site it tells you to place an order I was told they are only sending out clear filters I wrote back you posted on the site first 500 people that order gets a free clear filter. I wrote back I was one of the first ones to place an order how come I did not get one she never responded. And I have an email stating I was one of the first ones. I have two orders one for $447.00 and $557.00

Upvote 0

ColorBlindBat

CR Pro
Aug 30, 2018
I sent an email the other day because if you go on the site it tells you to place an order I was told they are only sending out clear filters I wrote back you posted on the site first 500 people that order gets a free clear filter. I wrote back I was one of the first ones to place an order how come I did not get one she never responded. And I have an email stating I was one of the first ones. I have two orders one for $447.00 and $557.00

Now I am even more nervous as I ordered on August 5th, one day after the announcement here.
Guessing that would put me in the first 500, but who knows.
Hopefully this isn't going to be end up being a credit card dispute.

Upvote 0

ColorBlindBat

CR Pro
Aug 30, 2018
I did not order any particular clear filter the add stated anyone of the first 500 will get a clear filter. I ordered ND filters and Polarizers.
I already had the adapter and circular polarizer. I ordered the clear filter so that I could use the mount adapter without the losses of a CP when not needed, and a variable neutral density filter. They were ordered on August 5th.

Upvote 0
I am just going to wait and see what happens.If you go on the site it no longer say’s taking pre orders now it say’s add to the cart so when I seen that I figured I would send an email the women got an attitude and said if your not happy I gladly refund your money. I did not say a dam thing to her to get an attitude.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I already had the adapter and circular polarizer. I ordered the clear filter so that I could use the mount adapter without the losses of a CP when not needed, and a variable neutral density filter. They were ordered on August 5th.

was it the breakthrough adapter and polarizer filter or a canon one and you were just trying to get a clear filter?

Upvote 0