Canon cameras that I’m told are coming in 2021

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Yes they do. But they do not have a R5a.

What would an R5a really offer that the Ra does not for astronomy?

Eye AF is useless for astro work.
Faster frame rates are useless for astro work.
IBIS isn't useful if one is using a tracking mount.
8K video is useless for astro work.
Smaller photosites (i.e. higher resolution) aren't that much more useful for anything but planetary astro work.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Anyone like to setup a table of features/differentiators for each camera (price, mp, fps, max video rate, dual/single card, etc)? By descending price...
R1
R5s
R5
R6
R7? (APS-C?)
R8? full frame
R9? full Frame

I get that an APS-C sensor will be great for birders IF it has a greater pixel density than the R5 ie >17mp. It could be a cut down version of the R5s given the rumour is for >2x R5 ie ~100mp. How that fits into enhanced videography is a good question. It won't be an A7Siii competitor in that case.
The smaller sensor should give a cost benefit but that would fit into a lower end version to replace the M system. Ideally, the M5ii's 32mp sensor put into a RF mount would be a good match but that doesn't fit the full frame rumour.

I think that a full frame entry level will be a great second body for R5/R6 etc.

Well....

If the R5s is 115MP, then the R7 would be 45MP in an APS-C format. Just right for 8K video... ;)

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I said "high-res body". A 100MP sensor doesn't make any sense for video does it? I also said "I'd love to see..." I'm not even TRYING to satisfy the blog-o-masses.

You'd still be constrained by the 43.27mm diagonal, unless you want to create lenses with larger image circles.

A square format would work out to about 30.6 x 30.6 mm, which is only 936mm², or only 8.33% more area than the standard 36 x 24 mm 3:2 FF format. That's not even worth the difference compared to the mass confusion it would cause.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
It's not just that. People also shoot APS-C because it's a lighter kit, and it's cheaper. That's also why some use micro 4/3, for an even more dramatic benefit than APS-C.

Honestly, there's not much, if any weight difference between my 5D Mark IV + 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II and my 7D Mark II + 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II.

The difference is in reach when shooting sports under the lights and f/2.8 is not negotiable.

Oh, and the $4,000 cost difference between a 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II and an EF 300mm f/2.8 L IS II.

... and another 5D IV or R5 instead of 7D Mark II for my "long" body since I'm also using the 5D Mark IV I already own for my "short" body with a 24-105/4 (takes a licking and keeps on ticking - perfect for a second body hanging off a shoulder on the sidelines of field sports), 24-70/2.8, or 16-35/2.8... plus with a 300/2.8 that can't zoom out to 100mm, you still need the 70-200/2.8 plus another FF body to bridge the gap between 35mm/70mm and 300mm.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I doubt Canon has invested in 5 stills cameras, and 3 cine cameras. That's a big investment in both R&D and manufacturing lines in a shrinking economy and corona crisis. I'm sure there are 7D & 1DX replacements in the pipe, as well as an 8K cinema camera, but not 8 cameras in one year.

Two of those eight have already been released in 2020.

Most of the others were already in the pipe before COVID-19 happened.

Supply chain issues probably does mean they won't all be introduced in 2021.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Has any other company created a new camera system and abandoned it as fast as Canon has abandoned the M mount?
Exactly as fast (given that all that we hear about "Canon has abandoned the M mount" so far is just rumors) is unlikely.

Nikon 1 and Samsung NX were definitely faster, though.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
What would an R5a really offer that the Ra does not for astronomy?

Eye AF is useless for astro work.
Faster frame rates are useless for astro work.
IBIS isn't useful if one is using a tracking mount.
8K video is useless for astro work.
Smaller photosites (i.e. higher resolution) aren't that much more useful for anything but planetary astro work.
I haven't used the Ra, so I'm not an expert on it's limitations. I would hope that it could take decent daylight photos after correcting the red channel for daylight use.

Regarding the points you made, I would agree in general, although IBIS might help for quicker lightweight tripod shots in windy conditions that are to be stacked later, or for handheld shots at twilight etc. And realistically, I could see them coming out with a R6a instead of an R5a reasoning that larger pixels are more appropriate for astro work and to get costs down so it sells enough to warrant production.

The one point that would be useful for me would be to have a 2nd body to pair with my existing R5. It would be able to take beautiful astro shots of the sky, as well as (hopefully) daylight photos once the red channel is properly adjusted for them. And almost all the controls, menus, and features would be the same as the R5. And for my travels when I take only one body, taking it would give me access to day and night shots. And it might have additional upgrades from the R5 so I might to use it as my 1st body.

For those that would be buying their first R body, or upgrading to a better body of R5 or better, they could get a great body and (hopefully) also one that would take great astro shots.

Now I do assume that an R5a probably won't be built, or else be built well after those like the R5s or R1 are built. I may decide to get the R5s as a 2nd body when it comes out - I'm undecided on that as 90MP isn't compelling to me as I don't really think the images will be much better than the R5 and I'd have undesirably bigger files to deal with - But it may have other appreciable upgrades over the R5, we'll see.

Upvote 0