Canon cameras that I’m told are coming in 2021

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
What Olympics`? With the Biden win, the world will be forced in permanent lock down as it will be ruled from the geriatric fear for covid 19 level policy..
No the first new olympic games will be in 4 years..
I thought we're supposed to avoid politics in this forum. I suggest you do the same, lest others with opposite views start voicing their opinions and the thread is overrun with non-photographic content.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I haven't used the Ra, so I'm not an expert on it's limitations. I would hope that it could take decent daylight photos after correcting the red channel for daylight use.

Regarding the points you made, I would agree in general, although IBIS might help for quicker lightweight tripod shots in windy conditions that are to be stacked later, or for handheld shots at twilight etc. And realistically, I could see them coming out with a R6a instead of an R5a reasoning that larger pixels are more appropriate for astro work and to get costs down so it sells enough to warrant production.
They've made the 20Da in 2005, the 60Da in 2012 and now the EOS Ra in 2019.

It is safe to say that it is a very niche market and they won't make any more for quite a few years.

But if the R6a is what you desire, any camera can be modified for astrophotograhy. It's not that big of a deal.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
They've made the 20Da in 2005, the 60Da in 2012 and now the EOS Ra in 2019.

It is safe to say that it is a very niche market and they won't make any more for quite a few years.

But if the R6a is what you desire, any camera can be modified for astrophotograhy. It's not that big of a deal.
Thanks for the reply, padam. What would be involved to modify an R5 to get the better H-Alpha response? I also use DXO PL4 in post, and wonder if it is possible there to alter the red channel so that it would take daylight balanced photos? I know it would void the warranty, but that's only got half a year left for me anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I thought we're supposed to avoid politics in this forum. I suggest you do the same, lest others with opposite views start voicing their opinions and the thread is overrun with non-photographic content.

I agree, this isn't the place. And I may or may not agree with the original poster. Doesn't matter, this is NOT THE PLACE.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Thanks for the reply, padam. What would be involved to modify an R5 to get the better H-Alpha response? I also use DXO PL4 in post, and wonder if it is possible there to alter the red channel so that it would take daylight balanced photos? I know it would void the warranty, but that's only got half a year left for me anyway.

No R5 or R6 yet but I would be very surprised if they didn't offer it later down the line although you probably can use something that's considerably cheaper than these cameras, you can check EOS Ra images taken in normal condition, I think I would rather just use a non-converted camera for that.

Almost all of the time I buy from the grey market so it does not matter to me, never ever had any problem with a Canon but in the worst case they would probably repair it for a fee (unlike Nikon).

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA

No R5 or R6 yet but I would be very surprised if they didn't offer it later down the line although you probably can use something that's considerably cheaper than these cameras, you can check EOS Ra images taken in normal condition, I think I would rather just use a non-converted camera for that.

Almost all of the time I buy from the grey market so it does not matter to me, never ever had any problem with a Canon but in the worst case they would probably repair it for a fee (unlike Nikon).
Thanks, padam, for all the information! :)

After reading these reviews, I don't think I'm interested in getting an Ra, for the following reasons:
* They only put a different filter on the sensor, and put a 30x magnification feature on it.
* They don't have a nighttime red-only view in their LCD and EVF. That's just a software patch which would have been easy!
* They have no nighttime illumination on their buttons (well, neither would a R5a, but a R1 aftermarket-modified would I assume)
* They have no astro-tracker feature, which a future R5a(or any Rxa) should have by now.
* Their daylight photos are great (yes that's a plus, but also means any future Rxa or aftermarket-modified one would too)

So, I'll wait to see what the R1 looks like as it seems it's the first (and maybe only) top level R body to come out this year.
Come August it may be the best decision to modify my R5 with a H-Alpha enabling filter and just enjoy that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You'd still be constrained by the 43.27mm diagonal, unless you want to create lenses with larger image circles.
But that diagonal is only required because the corners are where they are. (correction: same diagonal, no difference regardless of format). If you went to 4:5 the corners would come in from the side and expand up and down. Sure that's an insignificant gain in area, 6% if I'm doing my math correctly, BUT it's a proportion that's much more useful to me as an architectural photographer.

As it is, I'm almost always combining exposures for a vertical panorama, so to speak. If I had that extra height, I could save a lot of time splicing in PS. If I want that proportion in a single shot now, I have to crop out the sides, wasting pixels--and it is very difficult for me personally to compose by top and bottom edges (as opposed to width) looking into my viewfinder on location. Yeah, I've tried various tricks, like framing a scene with a longer lens first or setting the viewfinder masking to 4:5. So I will happily admit a 4:5 format is a personal preference that would likely outrage the masses if adopted. Beats me why, though. All manner of ratios exist even now and have existed for the history of photography--and art, for that matter.

If it's not already obvious I've got nothing better to do, take a look at my attachment for a visual comparison. In the PSD version I do several other formats. This is only 2:3 and 4:5.

</rant>

Attachments

• FormatComparison.jpg
    FormatComparison.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
But that diagonal is only required because the corners are where they are. If you went to 4:5 the corners would come in from the side and expand up and down. Sure that's an insignificant gain in area, 6% if I'm doing my math correctly, BUT it's a proportion that's much more useful to me as an architectural photographer.

As it is, I'm almost always combining exposures for a vertical panorama, so to speak. If I had that extra height, I could save a lot of time splicing in PS. If I want that proportion in a single shot now, I have to crop out the sides, wasting pixels--and it is very difficult for me personally to compose by top and bottom edges (as opposed to width) looking into my viewfinder on location. Yeah, I've tried various tricks, like framing a scene with a longer lens first or setting the viewfinder masking to 4:5. So I will happily admit a 4:5 format is a personal preference that would likely outrage the masses if adopted. Beats me why, though. All manner of ratios exist even now and have existed for the history of photography--and art, for that matter.

If it's not already obvious I've got nothing better to do, take a look at my attachment for a visual comparison. In the PSD version I do several other formats. This is only 2:3 and 4:5.

</rant>
Well 20x16 is on of my fav print formats so you won't get any argument from me!

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Well 20x16 is on of my fav print formats so you won't get any argument from me!
I've had a 4:3 format (M43) camera and now a 3:2 (R5) camera. I don't really care which aspect I have to use. BUT with either one of them I have to rotate the camera 90 degrees to take a portrait shot, and the back LCD menu text doesn't rotate so it's hard to read. It also complicates putting the camera on a tripod in portrait mode since you now need an L bracket Arca-Swiss adapter and the L part will interfere with your fully articulating screen.

If you're going to change the aspect ratio at all, I'd prefer to change it to 1:1. No more rotation for portraits. No more double grips when you want a bigger battery on bottom. No more BS with an L bracket A.S. adapter. And I'd put a pair of Arca Swiss grooves on the bottom edges of the body so it's tripod ready (again, for landscape or portrait). And I really prefer 1:1 crops for my photos whenever possible, and a 1:1 sensor would not only give the biggest sensor area possible within the same image circle, but all if it would be available for a 1:1 image display instead of cropping down a rectangle to get a square. (And yes, you'd have less remaining when you crop a square down to 4:3 or 3:2)

If I was the designer (and had a green light to do so), I'd make it a 1:1 slightly larger square sensor for a slightly larger image circle so that you get get a slightly bigger 1:1 image for those lenses that can tolerably illuminate the corner and also have a slightly bigger sensor area (than what it would be otherwise) when you decide to crop it down to 4:3 or 3:2 for landscape or portrait use. Then, maybe everybody could be happy enough. :unsure:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Parler is for hate?
So politics is ok on CR as longs as it's Lefty.
If CR was for Lefty politics then it'd be just as swamped with angry posts as it would be if it was for Righty politics.
That's why we (and the moderator) have asked for no politics to be used.
Let's just have fun with taking photographs, please! :)

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I haven't used the Ra, so I'm not an expert on it's limitations. I would hope that it could take decent daylight photos after correcting the red channel for daylight use.

Regarding the points you made, I would agree in general, although IBIS might help for quicker lightweight tripod shots in windy conditions that are to be stacked later, or for handheld shots at twilight etc. And realistically, I could see them coming out with a R6a instead of an R5a reasoning that larger pixels are more appropriate for astro work and to get costs down so it sells enough to warrant production.

The one point that would be useful for me would be to have a 2nd body to pair with my existing R5. It would be able to take beautiful astro shots of the sky, as well as (hopefully) daylight photos once the red channel is properly adjusted for them. And almost all the controls, menus, and features would be the same as the R5. And for my travels when I take only one body, taking it would give me access to day and night shots. And it might have additional upgrades from the R5 so I might to use it as my 1st body.

For those that would be buying their first R body, or upgrading to a better body of R5 or better, they could get a great body and (hopefully) also one that would take great astro shots.

Now I do assume that an R5a probably won't be built, or else be built well after those like the R5s or R1 are built. I may decide to get the R5s as a 2nd body when it comes out - I'm undecided on that as 90MP isn't compelling to me as I don't really think the images will be much better than the R5 and I'd have undesirably bigger files to deal with - But it may have other appreciable upgrades over the R5, we'll see.

You have absolutely no idea whatsoever what the difference is/was between the R and the Ra, the 60D and the 60Da, or the 20D and the 20Da, do you?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
But that diagonal is only required because the corners are where they are. If you went to 4:5 the corners would come in from the side and expand up and down. Sure that's an insignificant gain in area, 6% if I'm doing my math correctly, BUT it's a proportion that's much more useful to me as an architectural photographer.

</rant>

If the image circle diameter does not change, then the diagonal does not change, regardless of the aspect ratio. The diagonals of the two boxes in your little drawing are identical.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
What advantages could an APS-C R7 32Mp have besides more pixel to crop? could someone explain?

what i see: cropping, possible cheaper lenses, adaptation of existing cheaper lenses.

neg. (for me): DoF

It would allow, for example, using a 70-200/2.8 instead of a 300/2.8 for field sports under artificial lighting, where f/2.8 is fairly non-negotiable.

In the EF system, because all of the pieces are already on the market, compare:

7D Mark II + EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS III = $3,500

1D X Mark II + EF 300mm f/2.8 L IS II = $10,600

or

5D Mark IV + EF 300mm f/2.8 L IS II = $8,600

With the 300mm prime one would also need another body with a 70-200/2.8 to cover when play gets too close to the sideline to use the 300mm. That's another $4,500 or so.

Upvote 0
If the image circle diameter does not change, then the diagonal does not change, regardless of the aspect ratio. The diagonals of the two boxes in your little drawing are identical.
You're absolutely right--they have to be if the corners are on the same circle. So: NEVER MIND. I still prefer a taller aspect ratio...

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
You have absolutely no idea whatsoever what the difference is/was between the R and the Ra, the 60D and the 60Da, or the 20D and the 20Da, do you?
What's your point? My writing was pretty clear. I've since read some reviews on the Ra and it further reinforces my desire to not buy it for my purposes. If you just want to revel it putting someone down, that's not a very nice thing to do.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Does anyone honestly believe at this point that there will be a Tokyo 2021 Olympiad? Countries have to have qualifying seasons to select team members to represent them. Those would need to be going on right now, but they're not being held.
It is a big deal for Japnese camera companies since it is their home country but there is an Olympics every 2 years

Upvote 0