There will be an EOS M/EF-M announcement this year [CR1]

True. But Just becuase they sell a boat load of them doesn't make them profitable ether. Looking at the patent listed they could be trying to take M a little more upscale in order to be able to fatten the margins.
More to the point that Canon sees sales trend necessitating fatter margins for a future of lower volume. Economies of scale and there about.

People born in the 1960s and 1970s will bare the brunt of more expensive camera gear when they stock pile gear to be used during their retirement years.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
If it takes choice away from the end-user then by all means cry.

People need to get out of this mindset of "oh that's what companies do, we just have to deal with it". No, companies can only exist so long as they meet the needs and desires of customers.
AND, it generates profitable revenue. You have to consider all aspects of a product line - R&D, manufacturing tooling & startup, supply chain, etc. Top line sales numbers don't tell the full story without knowing contribution margin.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Probably just trying to keep the interest while they sell stock they already have and will then make an announcement towards the end of the year that there will be no more M series. This is a real loss and will open the door for Sony or Fuji APSC or even Panasonic and OMD (if they do produce cameras) To position themselves as the small lightweight option for the enthusiast looking for a more compact high quality kit. There is no better than the M system at that currently just not the lens line up to support it......

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I wouldn't replace my EOS M cameras with an R body because there simply aren't enough compact/light/inexpensive lenses available for it.

For a lightweight travel camera - if Canon ditches the EOS M then I'd probably move over to E mount.
As some CR member pointed out, in an earlier post awhile back that sounded the death knoll for the M Line, I, also would not ditch my M50. With its demise, I'd just look for one of the pre-owned, bargain priced M line bodies that would ultimately hit the market, so I would have a bargain priced back up for my light gear travel and hiking days. To those that plan on getting rid of their M line eqpt. at bargain basement prices, please post on CR, so we can scoop up some deals. We thank you in advance and it won't even bother us if you no longer like the M line for your needs. In my case, if it wasn't for the M line, I would no longer carry a camera with me when hiking, relegating me to using my cell phone, often inadequate for anything but email pics. I damaged or destroyed enough DSLR's while performing trail maintenance on the BMT. Those big bodies are just too unwieldy, including the R6 and even the RP., all of which are very difficult, even impossible to reasonably protect those heavy bodies while doing trail work. I wouldn't want anyone to think the M50 is a perfect camera. However, it's been perfect for me for what I need it to do, which is showcasing my fellow BMTA members maintenance efforts to keep the trail safe for hikers. https://photos.app.goo.gl/6L25D13YSogg7qLX9

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
You know, the word "announcement" can be very ambiguous XD
Yes and he also used the words 'product launch'.

besides that nonsense, if I was a current M user (I had the M5 and liked it not loved it) and Canon axed the line I would move to Fuji for a small crop. So many options there and some nice pancakes. Thinking, X-Pro 3 high end and XT30 on the low.

Upvote 0

esspy2

EOS R6
Nov 16, 2020
Yes and he also used the words 'product launch'.

besides that nonsense, if I was a current M user (I had the M5 and liked it not loved it) and Canon axed the line I would move to Fuji for a small crop. So many options there and some nice pancakes. Thinking, X-Pro 3 high end and XT30 on the low.

Oh yeah I see that now. X-E4 would be a nice small crop too.

Upvote 0
It's none of my business, just a lowly consumer here but what Canon could do is take their 45 megapixel sensor, pair it with a Qualcomm 888 processor or two, use Android for the operating system, "focus" on some great pre- and post-processing apps and algos, and deliver something that blows the wheels off these stodgy offerings that cater to all the old-timers who comprise a tiny fraction of the market share. And call it the M7 or whatever. But make sure it uses the M mount because there is nothing worse than being stuck with equipment that has met its dead end after only 18 months of use.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

esspy2

EOS R6
Nov 16, 2020
It's none of my business, just a lowly consumer here but what Canon could do is take their 45 megapixel sensor, pair it with a Qualcomm 888 processor or two, use Android for the operating system, "focus" on some great pre- and post-processing apps and algos, and deliver something that blows the wheels off these stodgy offerings that cater to all the old-timers who comprise a tiny fraction of the market share. And call it the M7 or whatever. But make sure it uses the M mount because there is nothing worse than being stuck with equipment that has met its dead end after only 18 months of use.
I think this would take a lot of work on Canon's end to use chips that they haven't designed. It could definitely open them up to the smartphone world that Sony seems to dominate. I think the Zeiss camera also runs on Android too. If they add the full frame 45 MP sensor into an M mount, you would have to use a speed booster to cover the full frame sensor, though. The full frame (EF) to crop sensor speed booster from Canon is retailing $599 though so I think you would have some difficulties. If they slap in that 32 MP sensor from the M6 II though, that would be pretty cool. RF lenses > EF-M lenses for sure though.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
M6 mk II with IBIS and I would be a happy camper!

Im just now getting to know my m62, but mannnnnnn IBIS is super essential to any mirrorless going forward. just put it on everything. It will spread the r&d costs out thoguh all the lines, making it less expensive to implement.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
There are simply too many people on the planet working and teleworking from home. The M mount suits them well and Canon make a lot of moola from that group. Despite Admins love to use it as bait
True. But Just becuase they sell a boat load of them doesn't make them profitable ether. Looking at the patent listed they could be trying to take M a little more upscale in order to be able to fatten the margins.
The M system is the most profitable camera that Canon sells.

Upvote 0