Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Today it started very disappointing: just a Pacific Golden Plover (because I was not enough careful and missed a Wandering Tattler that flushed right in front of me - no more than 5 meters!). Later, on the very end of my trip that Night Heron popped up from a channel - no surprise on that location but this one had something to brag about!!! It was fighting (killing) the fish (Tilapia) for at least 15-20 minutes. It's main approach was to squeeze the gills of the fish until the fish was ready to swallow it! Honestly I was not sure if it can swallow it - that fish was looking to big but it did and shortly after that started looking for another fish!?DSC_0536_DxO.jpgDSC_0543_DxO.jpgDSC_0548_DxO.jpgDSC_0569_DxO.jpgDSC_0571_DxO.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 18 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Little Egret in stream by my house. He didn't see me and I got a range of good shots with the 100-500 on the R5. I am wondering to send my camera and lens back as the R5 still hasn't frozen and the eyeAF works perfectly and gives sharp images.

View attachment 195783
@AlanF That is a truly gorgeous shot, the composition is spot on the lighting is perfect and the subtle reflection finishes it off.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Today it started very disappointing: just a Pacific Golden Plover (because I was not enough careful and missed a Wandering Tattler that flushed right in front of me - no more than 5 meters!). Later, on the very end of my trip that Night Heron popped up from a channel - no surprise on that location but this one had something to brag about!!! It was fighting (killing) the fish (Tilapia) for at least 15-20 minutes. It's main approach was to squeeze the gills of the fish until the fish was ready to swallow it! Honestly I was not sure if it can swallow it - that fish was looking to big but it did and shortly after that started looking for another fish!?
There are some people vs birds portrait suggestions that clearly don't cross over. For example, "Never take photos of people with food in their mouth."

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
ISv, how true about starting out and not exercising the care that we should and do once further into our treck. I imagine at location A I will have great luck but don't. However, on the way to location A a fine opportunity is blown - didn't just happen once, rather many times! Seems I never learn.

Jack

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
ISv, how true about starting out and not exercising the care that we should and do once further into our treck. I imagine at location A I will have great luck but don't. However, on the way to location A a fine opportunity is blown - didn't just happen once, rather many times! Seems I never learn.

Jack
I checked the stones at the beach "carefully" - didn't see anything:)! The problem is that they know I'm coming way before I detect them (and I still have very good vision!).

Upvote 0
Following this Loggerhead Shrike in hopes it would find something to eat but instead it seemed fairly content to sit on this dead stem and pose. Stayed with it through the late afternoon light and even after the sun finally dropped behind the horizon.
SDR13901A-4K.jpg

R5 600 II w/1.4X 1/50 : f/9 : ISO 800

Reactions: 16 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
More a landscape than a portrait. But couldn't get closer. R5 + 100-400 II + 1.4x extender + crop (25% of the original). AF servo (zone).

By coincidence, we went for a cycle ride this evening in a short break in the gloom as the sun came out a half an hour before sunset, and I saw my first Great Crested Grebes of the season and they were beginning to start a courtship ritual. They were probably further away than yours, but the tiny crops made an animated gif. Taken on the R5 + 400mm DO II + 1.4xTC.

Great_Crested_Grebes_2_small.gif

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0