The next Canon EOS R5 firmware update is coming soon

Jan 29, 2011
I do have a wired remote but I’m constantly accidentally pulling to much on it and slightly moving the camera. Would just be easy to have a wireless Bluetooth palm size remote to trigger from further away And not worry about pulling or bumping.
I use the CamRanger for bracketing whilst using flash.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Cool. I’ll check it out. Thanks.
Actually I use the Smaller and cheaper CamRanger Mini, it is a little more basic than the CamRanger 1 & 2 but much cheaper and does a lot of stuff. The only real limitation is it doesn’t work to a computer only tablets/iPads and phones. I used to own the original CamRanger but sold it and got the mini and am happy with the better range and stability, the smaller size works well too.

Upvote 0
It wouldn’t, it would allow you to create endless image sequences at whatever Interval you like in whatever format you want. Importing and turning those images into a movie is trivial.
That's what I said above. There are workarounds. Dealing with thousands of images is not the nicest way to create time-lapses. I see no logical reason Canon limited the min interval to 2 seconds.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
That's what I said above. There are workarounds. Dealing with thousands of images is not the nicest way to create time-lapses. I see no logical reason Canon limited the min interval to 2 seconds.
For the same reason they have never fitted any kind of intervalometer into the 1 series, they don’t want to, they think it increases market segmentation, there is a stupid technical reason they didn’t want to work around...

Upvote 0
Yes there are workarounds, but I'd have to set the camera to jpeg only first, and then stitch thousands of images into one movie. Not a hugely practical solution.
I've always been able to do this in RAW in Manual mode on the 700D, I do it all the time for star trails in RAW, then batch process and convert them to Tiff, then I stack the Tiff files in star stacking software. Why would you need to set the camera to Jpg only?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What puzzles me is that I see exactly zero videos made by enthusiasts and only some made by professionals.
Zero videos made by enthusiasts? Well I am the first one of many that makes videos on Youtube as a hobbyist not as a professional. If I look into my niche, where I make videos about most are enthusiasts and not professionals. This is just the niche I am operating in. Now imagine how many niches exist on Youtube where enthusiasts make videos about. I think a lot of people are satisfied with the capabilities of their smartphones for pictures and videos. You can't deny that crafting videos seamless together is a skill the average guy with a smartphone doesn't master. I assume it will be easier to make a living out of video compared to photography if starting in this field now a days. I don't think it's a bad thing that the video side gets attention. Ofc I might be biased as I make videos. However your statement that zero enthusiasts make videos is ridiculous. Sure there are some that barely shoot video and still want the 'specs' and features. You are overgeneralizing.

Why are your against updates on the video side? Do you only take pictures?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I wouldn't mind paying a premium for Canon batteries if they were remotely better than *quality* 3rd party offerings. But they're not. My better 3rd party LP-E6/LP-E6N batteries take more recharge cycles before they eventually wear out than my Canon batteries do. So you want me to pay twice as much for a battery that doesn't last as many recharge cycles?
Which brand do you use? The LP-E6 clones I used performed slightly less than Canon branded ones, at half the price. Still a good deal, but not as good as the one you describe.
Having said that, I really enjoy being able to charge the batteries in camera over USB-C, so I've been using only Canon branded ones in my R5 the past months.

Upvote 0
- Absolutely ridiculous 2 second min interval for time-lapses. Why am I not able to set it to 1s? The camera can do 8K 30fps and can't do time-lapses at 1fps? Cripple hammer again.

In video mode can't you set 1 FPS? Maybe not exactly what you want but often cameras have low frame rates from 1 on up.

Upvote 0
I would love zebras for manual exposure that could be set for different clipping levels.
Currently Canon is focused on video as it seems everyone asks for video features.
What puzzles me is that I see exactly zero videos made by enthusiasts and only some made by professionals.
I suspect a lot of amateur video mimics the efforts of the home movie crowd of the 60's who inflicted their tiresome videos of the backs of people's heads at Disneyland and jumpy shots of strangers in bathing suits at the beach on unwitting neighbors and truculent children.

The R5 is expensive enough that many of the users are going to be pro. Those that aren't are still going to be more experienced than average.

I've no idea where you're looking for videos but there tend to be more than a few on Youtube (not the best option for judging quality) ranging from low level amatuer on up to pro.

Upvote 0
I've always been able to do this in RAW in Manual mode on the 700D, I do it all the time for star trails in RAW, then batch process and convert them to Tiff, then I stack the Tiff files in star stacking software. Why would you need to set the camera to Jpg only?
From the beginning I was talking about time-lapses. 60 real time minutes of timelapse at 1fps will produce 3600 raw files. Even with batch processing, it'll be a significant hassle.
You're apparently talking about star trails and stacking, are you sure you didn't miss the point about time-lapses?

Upvote 0

Rumours not rumors

R6mkII, 2x90D, 630 (film), Sigma 70-200 f2.8 Sport
CR Pro
May 12, 2020
Australia mate (-:
How about Canon fixes up problems with other current DSLR's like the 90D's shocking exposure inconsistencies when using a Canon Speedlite with Evaluative Metering. I can fire 3 frames in a row of the same scene and often get over 5 stops variation in the exposures, more often than not the images are severely over exposed with the most overexposed sometimes the last image taken, so it's not a flash failing to recharge in time issue. I have 2 x 90D's bought months apart with quite different serial numbers so they're not from the same batch and both do it regardless of whether I am using a 600EX-RT or 600EX II-RT or the built-in flash, with it particularly unpredictable in Evaluative Metering mode. My cheaper 750D gets flash exposures bang on 95% of the time, but the much more expensive 90D's are shockingly bad at it. It is not just my pair, the internet is full of complaints from 90D users all over the world with the same issue but not a peep from Canon anywhere about releasing a firmware update to address it. Non-flash photography is hit and miss using Evaluative metering mode too but not as bad as when using a flash. This is strange given that every Canon camera I have owned right back to film models like the EOS630 had Evaluative metering that just worked a treat, but in the 90D, it's as unpredictable as a bottle of nitroglycerine on a trampoline. Please Canon, fix the 90D's woeful flashy exposure calculations with a firmware update for your non R series cameras. There's something wrong when I feel more confident taking an old 1200D on a flash shoot than a current 90D. Why this never got picked up in magazine reviews shows how little they truly test cameras. Then again, I notice mobile phone reviews nowadays can spend a page waffling on about cameras and music quality and make no meniton of how well or not it actually makes a phone call.

Upvote 0
Zero videos made by enthusiasts? Well I am the first one of many that makes videos on Youtube as a hobbyist not as a professional. If I look into my niche, where I make videos about most are enthusiasts and not professionals. This is just the niche I am operating in. Now imagine how many niches exist on Youtube where enthusiasts make videos about. I think a lot of people are satisfied with the capabilities of their smartphones for pictures and videos. You can't deny that crafting videos seamless together is a skill the average guy with a smartphone doesn't master. I assume it will be easier to make a living out of video compared to photography if starting in this field now a days. I don't think it's a bad thing that the video side gets attention. Ofc I might be biased as I make videos. However your statement that zero enthusiasts make videos is ridiculous. Sure there are some that barely shoot video and still want the 'specs' and features. You are overgeneralizing.

Why are your against updates on the video side? Do you only take pictures?
I never said I was against updates for video. I noted that the clamor for video features is loud and that is what Canon responds to.

I would also note that the trend ot video improvements is largely a result of the plateauing of specs on the stills side. Video is now the realm of spec warfare.

Upvote 0
The flip side is why not see if you can save $30 a battery with a few minutes of research. Most people dont have infinite money.

Because cheaper non-brand rechargeable batteries do not perform better new, and chances are later down the road, they'll deteriorate faster too. As been stated before, better to stay with genuine Canon batteries.

Source (project farm is to show deterioration of cheaper batteries in general):

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For the same reason they have never fitted any kind of intervalometer into the 1 series, they don’t want to, they think it increases market segmentation, there is a stupid technical reason they didn’t want to work around...
That is what I said - cripple hammer again. The issues I listed are not huge. Just annoying in a $6k camera (in AU dollars).

Upvote 0
In video mode can't you set 1 FPS? Maybe not exactly what you want but often cameras have low frame rates from 1 on up.
It's about Canon R5. Its min framerate is 24. Timelapses start from 2 seconds and longer. You can't set it to 1s. I don't think there's a logical technical explanation for that limitation, apart from marketing decisions (which have nothing to do with logic...)

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
@everyone!
Please send your ideas and critics directly to Canon :)! otherwise nothing will change...

Also for R users. To have some options only the RP and the new ones have (Focus stacking) and others.

For a future R5 user....I really want smaller Raw resolutions (M/S-Raw!!!)!
Does anyone have the email address for Canon Japan? I tried the web form, but Google translate couldn’t make enough sense of it for me to fill in the correct boxes.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
Because cheaper non-brand rechargeable batteries do not perform better new, and chances are later down the road, they'll deteriorate faster too. As been stated before, better to stay with genuine Canon batteries.

Source (project farm is to show deterioration of cheaper batteries in general):
Your own link found that some of the better performers overall werent 'name' battery brands, with Ikea doing better than Energizer or Eneloops.

Upvote 0