Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 discontinued?

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Maybe old news (if so, sorry,) but according to B&H, the Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 has been discontinued (a chat seemed to verify this.)

Seems odd, as the 40 occupies a pretty unique space in the lineup. Are other EF lenses being phased out?

Ironically that 40 was one of the first lenses I used on my R5. I found myself with an R5 on the first day and had no RF lens to go with it (my RF 24-105 f/4 refurb was still "backordered"). In fact, since it was my first full frame camera, I only had five EF lenses, and the 40mm was my widest (I actually had a better range of EF-S compatible lenses, and EF-M lenses, but didn't want to be in crop mode). I did, just a couple of days later, buy the RF 15-35 f/2.8, but my wide shots in Garden of the Gods that first day were 40mm f/2.8. It was a very good thing I had bought adapters a few months earlier.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
It shows as discontinued on the Canon Hong Kong website, along with some other products. Not sure if it's indicative of the worldwide market, or if those products are just discontinued for the Hong Kong market.
I'm not sure I follow your meaning.

If the lens is still manufactured (or plans are to keep manufacturing more batches), why would Canon discontinue it in specific markets?

Seems more plausible to me the lens is no longer manufactured, and Canon announces it is discontinued when local stock runs out.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
I'm not sure I follow your meaning.

If the lens is still manufactured (or plans are to keep manufacturing more batches), why would Canon discontinue it in specific markets?

Seems more plausible to me the lens is no longer manufactured, and Canon announces it is discontinued when local stock runs out.
It wouldn't be the first time that something was sold in some markets but not others. For example, some years ago Canon wasn't selling the M system cameras in the US but was selling them elsewhere, particularly Asia, presumably because at the time those cameras just weren't selling well in the US. That said, you may end up being correct about the 40mm f/2.8. It's still on the Canon Australia website, but I think it's still on the Canon USA website too. Time will tell.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0