A new camera not named the R1 is coming in the 2nd half of 2021 [CR2]

Mar 10, 2021
Folks, don't forget how successful financially the Rebel line and EOS M are. Much bigger sales than 7D would ever hoped for. If Canon does not decide to cover APS-C with EOS M only, we may see R3xx and/or R7 someday. But I bet that in a foreseeable future Canon will concentrate on high end and enthusiast RF segments, leaving APS-C to M. IMHO, all they need is one relatively advanced M3 body to fill the gap, if they are not afraid that such body will hurt sales of low end R bodies.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Same old bait and switch. Well NONE of us are biting. After the 1DXMKIII "nothing buger" then the R5 release, even armature photogs are hip to the tricks. In my opinion Canon is in trouble. SONY, fuji, Nikon, Hasselblad all innovating.

So we sit and wait for another 20MP flagship from Canon ROFL

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
The R5 is the 5D replacement. The R1 the 1Dx replacement will be deluvered to the Olympic venues as always. The ultimate showcase for any high performance sports camers camera is the summer Olympics. The Canon flagship will be there. And it won't be then 1DX2
You're going to see more people shooting with non Canon cameras than ever before. They have MORE glass latitude and can crop. Where we sit with a 800mm or 600 they sit with a 400 and move without the gimbal or monopod. They are shooting at 50MP and our IDX's are at 20. If the R1 is not superior to the A1 in resolution..... Canon will have lost an even greater chunk of business that will also cut into broadcast. Take that to the bank!!!

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I would guess it's the R7 that's coming, but I wouldn't bet a dime on it, or frankly, anything right now.
I just checked my local dealer's online shop (Frankfurt, Germany): the 7DII isn't offered anymore. On Amazon still are several offerings, but this could be just some stocks. Looks a bit like Canon really phased out the production of the 7DII, despite saying that officially. I do hope for an R7, for birding...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
why not full frame?
Expensive for a serious hobbyist. My current Sigma 18-35, Canon 60 and Canon 10-18 still perform good enough for my needs. Bodies like R and RP don't cover my needs for some specs I want (C log, IBIS, 10bit 4k 60, 1080 120.) The R6 is nice and still affordable for me but the transition of replacing it with 3 equivalent FF lenses is out of my league.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
That's somewhat surprising - with all the glass coming, one would think the next body in the pipeline would be the flagship. I wonder if they just aren't calling it the R1 and the next camera is yet still a flagship?

With that said, I'm pretty keen on the high resolution body and wouldn't be upset if it was next.
As a fellow RP shooter, I’m with you. I was a hair’s breadth away from buying the R5 yesterday, but I want to wait and see what is next before I commit to that as my full time body for the foreseeable future.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
What really excites me is the talk of a R body with Quad Pixel AF so that horizontal lines can be instantly AF'd just as well as vertical lines - It will make AF much better than the already great (but not perfect) AF system in the R5. And an EVF with a bigger apparent view (higher magnification) and more pixels and higher frame rate as well as a bigger and higher resolution back LCD and a more thoughtfully organized menu system (listening to user input) would be major improvements. A global shutter with wide range of user specified FPS rates would be a very major improvement, as would an integrated ND filter and GPS tagging. There's so many things here that can be improved that I hope they come out with a camera doing that (or some of that). If they only just double the MP count up to 80-90MP then I wouldn't be all that excited unless they also add some of the other improvements mentioned here.
5DS/R came with several important upgrades over the 5DIII (anti flickr, bettter low-light AF, less noise, more DR, better shutter etc. etc) - so there's a good chance we will see some improvements over the 5R.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
"2nd Half" or "2nd Quarter"? It would seem odd that Canon would announce a flagship potentially at the doorstep of the Olympics. I say this because I imagine the Olympics is a great testbed for flagships but photographers would also like to plan their kits (with Canon if possible). That being said, I'm more than confident a 1Dxiii and 1Dxii would provide great coverage in 2021.

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
5DS/R came with several important upgrades over the 5DIII (anti flickr, bettter low-light AF, less noise, more DR, better shutter etc. etc) - so there's a good chance we will see some improvements over the 5R.
All of that is true of course, but in my opinion the world was a little different then. If the resolution is close to what is rumored 85-90MP, then I would be extremely happy with just a resolution bump over the R5 in regards to technical specs. The AF system, DR, etc. of the R5 is in another world in comparison to the 5DIII. In fact it is on another level from the 5D4 as well. I'm just not sure how much better it could actually be in practical terms. Small improvements perhaps but not earth shattering, especially when you consider the resolution increase. If it would have a crop shooting mode at 12FPS (like the R5 does at full res) I would be pretty impressed.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
In my opinion Canon is in trouble.

Thankfully the majority of the rest of the world doesn't agree with you. When the Sony "Flagship" is being endlessly compared to Canon's enthusiast FF (R5) and losing in many critical areas while costing almost double (when you include the grip that should already be there and an extra battery) I think Canon is doing most things right.

I won't mention the R6 which folks appear to be loving at a measly 20MP...

I also won't mention that the competitors are all mirrorless or going mirrorless - you already stated that pro sports guys can't do mirrorless because EVF...

:LOL:

Those other brands await - have at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
"2nd Half" or "2nd Quarter"? It would seem odd that Canon would announce a flagship potentially at the doorstep of the Olympics. I say this because I imagine the Olympics is a great testbed for flagships but photographers would also like to plan their kits (with Canon if possible). That being said, I'm more than confident a 1Dxiii and 1Dxii would provide great coverage in 2021.
According to Nikon Rumors, the recently announced Nikon flagship will be released in the fall of 2021. Nikon and Canon usually release products in tandem, so a fall announcement or release for the R1 makes sense. The Olympics, especially this year, is really irrelevant to these announcements, regardless of what forum experts think. It's way too late to announce a camera that will actually be used at the Olympics and you are correct in that most photographers who are actually covering the Olympics will be sticking with DSLRs because that's what they know and trust and it's too important of an event to risk using it as a test bed for a completely new body style. That's not to say that Canon might not hand out a bunch of pre-production models to photographers to play with during the Olympics, but for actual shooting of events that matter, photographers will be sticking with the 1DxIII.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...After the 1DXMKIII "nothing buger" then the R5 release, even armature photogs are hip to the tricks...
As I recall, you tested the 1DxIII for what, a few days? As someone who actually bought and uses the 1DxIII I strongly disagree that it is a "nothing buger." Or should that be a "nothing burger" or maybe a "nothing bugger?" Having used the 1DxIII through the winter sports season and now going into a spring season I have found it to be a significant improvement over the 1Dx II. Autofocus accuracy is much improved although it does take a learning curve to get the most out of the new autofocus system. The 1Dx II was pretty much limited to the center autofocus point or expanded point for sports shooting, but I've found that the 1DxIII often performs better in the larger or even full zones -- something that Peter Read Miller also commented on. In many cases, I'm getting more keepers than I know what to do with.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
As I recall, you tested the 1DxIII for what, a few days? As someone who actually bought and uses the 1DxIII I strongly disagree that it is a "nothing buger." Or should that be a "nothing burger" or maybe a "nothing bugger?" Having used the 1DxIII through the winter sports season and now going into a spring season I have found it to be a significant improvement over the 1Dx II. Autofocus accuracy is much improved although it does take a learning curve to get the most out of the new autofocus system. The 1Dx II was pretty much limited to the center autofocus point or expanded point for sports shooting, but I've found that the 1DxIII often performs better in the larger or even full zones -- something that Peter Read Miller also commented on. In many cases, I'm getting more keepers than I know what to do with.

I agree here. I honestly think Goldwing is a bit confused about what he's talking about.

The other day he was blasting me about using an EVF for sports (it can't be done apparently) and now he's threatening to leave Canon and go to one of their rivals that pretty much have nothing but EVFs to offer.

Go figure.

Imagine the R1 with edge-to-edge auto-focus QPAF and 40FPS in 20MP mode and a high res mode there if you want it.

Upvote 0
Due to COVID-19 related parts supply issues, release dates are unpredictable. The auto industry is reportedly being hit by a worldwide semiconductor shortage. I don't know what other industries are impacted by that.

Shortages are also impacting network equipment deliveries
Yup. The semiconductor industry has well-known cycles of general shortages and over-production. When the industry gets into shortages, "allocation" etc, everybody who buys commercial silicon* gets hit. We were close or got into it in 2016-17 as well.

*) very very very few companies make 100% their own silicon at gets it fabbed at TSMC, UMC or GF, as standalone memory chips are are commercial. Even there they can get into allocation for fab slots.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0