Confirmed, a Canon EOS R5c is going to be announced this year [CR3]

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Absolutely agreed. Active cooling is a hard pass for me for me if it means reduced weather sealing. This is positive though - Canon obviously sees that there is a market here which isn't perfectly aligned to the needs of traditional 5D users, which the R5 was aimed at. Having an R5c and an R5 allow flexibility for potential buyers to balance their needs without compromising their use case.
And that's the end of your hardware innovations. Be happy with what you have for the next 5 -10 years. Like having a high performance PC without a fan. Try to find one. The traditional 5D user base has evaporated. Cameras are niche devices already as it is. Not even smartphones are manufactured without a video option.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
And that's the end of your hardware innovations. Be happy with what you have for the next 5 -10 years. Like having a high performance PC without a fan. Try to find one. The traditional 5D user base has evaporated. Cameras are niche devices already as it is. Not even smartphones are manufactured without a video option. And they overheat also. That's why there exist smartphone cooling peltier devices used by gamers etc.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I don’t know that the R5c would have been in the pipeline before the release of the R5. I think that it is more of a reaction to the market. Had it been in the pipeline, release date would be much sooner.
The R5 was delayed almost half a year, these products aren't developed in a couple of months. They have a 2-3 year internal roadmap at least for camera bodies.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Thats probably is the biggest miss, “stills first”. Given the time needed for R&D they could not have expected a Pandemic to push everyone to staying home, but Video/podcast/streaming content creation is king right now. If you are a working or aspiring Photographer you probably should be at least working on video or at least be looking to get the most out of anything you spend 4-5k on unless you just have luxury money.

The R5 was probably in final testing when the pandemic hit.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
The R5 was delayed almost half a year, these products aren't developed in a couple of months. They have a 2-3 year internal roadmap at least for camera bodies.
I agree about 2-3 year roadmaps—some can be up to 5 years (like the Panasonic S1 series). But there are times when variants based on existing products can be put into production on a short timeline.

Upvote 0
And that's the end of your hardware innovations. Be happy with what you have for the next 5 -10 years. Like having a high performance PC without a fan. Try to find one. The traditional 5D user base has evaporated. Cameras are niche devices already as it is. Not even smartphones are manufactured without a video option.
What I said wasn't wrong. Yes a fan with a heatsink would be ideal, but it would also bring other compromises. To maintain the R5 form factor as it was shipped, a copper plate to dissipate heat would be worked a lot better than what it shipped with. It's not a dedicated cinema camera so, the fact it does not have a fan is not surprising but what was released is not the best effort to keep the camera cool by any means, and no amount of firmware is going to make up for physical heat buildup.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
What I said wasn't wrong. Yes a fan with a heatsink would be ideal, but it would also bring other compromises. To maintain the R5 form factor as it was shipped, a copper plate to dissipate heat would be worked a lot better than what it shipped with. It's not a dedicated cinema camera so, the fact it does not have a fan is not surprising but what was released is not the best effort to keep the camera cool by any means, and no amount of firmware is going to make up for physical heat buildup.
... and the camera would have cost more money for minimal thermal improvements. Go and check the price volatility of copper.copper.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
What’s funny is that people would be all about this if it was the other way around. The R5c coming out first, then canon making the same thing, but weather sealed.
I think the R5 is a beast of a camera, but the R5c will be a purchase for a little ease of mind for hot days and longer recordings. I still haven’t had my R5 overheat anywhere near the complaints people have. I do weddings and fitness to give an idea of my usage.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
One major reason I'm not buying the C70, form factor. I'm not sure how you can run/gun with it. It's good for a two person interview scenario, where it's on a tripod.
I'm hoping R5c/C60 to have C70 inputs, (one mini XLR, BPA battery)
Specs isn't everything. BM users are very happy with the 6kPro hardware improvements.
C70 is actually pretty amazing for run and gun. They just need to adjust autofocus performance. It’s good, but not R5 good.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Well u

well us photographers weren’t, I’m happy with my compact weather sealed R5 body. It IS a camera first after all.

I am puzzled why videographers don’t buy a video camera. There is plenty on the market.
Well, there's a LOT of us out there, that like to do both.
;)

And we often don't have money for multiple bodies....so one that does it all, is the ultimate goal.

HTH,
cayenne

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I don't think that's a reasonable comparison. What proportion of high-end PCs are used in the rain? High humidity environments? Blowing sand? I don't have the answer, but I can promise you this: if high-end PCs had to be commonly used in direct contact with water, they'd be weatherproofed in one manner or another to prevent damage. How many wedding photographers/journalists/sports photographers/landscape or wildlife photographers tell their clients they can't do a job if it's raining? Not shooting in the rain isn't always an option depending on your business.

For me, weather sealing is more important than further innovation for the next 5-10 years, so if no innovation is the cost, I can make peace with that. With that said, weather sealing isn't new on cameras and we've had plenty of innovation over the last 5-10 years. I kind of doubt you can't have one without losing other.

I doubt any of us have the actual data to prove that the traditional 5D user is gone and obviously Canon doesn't think that if they made a camera to service the market. In fact, most camera manufacturers seem to be diving into the traditional 5D market of full frame, high quality, stills-first cameras with weather sealing. I don't discount that a lot of people rely on video from stills cameras; that's certainly true considering that several of the manufacturers with 5D-style weather-sealed bodies also make actively cooled bodies with a video focus. That's a good thing - it lets the people who need that video performance sacrifice their weather sealing, and people who need weather sealing sacrifice their video performance. There is no one size fits all, and that's ok.

Upvote 0
It seems to me like Canon are saying , we made a mistake with the R5 so we will now release another one , with cooling built in so the video side works better .
Perhaps, but given a choice with R5 costing less and in a smaller package, I would still buy the R5.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0