Confirmed, a Canon EOS R5c is going to be announced this year [CR3]

Jan 29, 2011
Sorry, but I disagree. i want a proper functional camera even if slightly larger.
And there in lies the rub, we all have different priorities. For most R5 owners the video limits are not limitations, for some they are, so Canon is bringing out a different camera that is going to cost a lot more for them.

That doesn’t mean the R5 is a bad camera, it isn’t, it is the best general purpose camera Canon make and the people I know that own them absolutely love them (but I doubt any of them have shot a seconds video). But it isn’t everything for everyone, and no camera could be nowadays.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Where have you seen poor results?
It's not about stills, it is a bit crippled for video as only RAW video gives access to the full dynamic range which is 8k30p only
which not many people will use. (even though the camera is capable of recording RAW in the cropped mode up to 4k60p),

After the firmware update it will get Canon Log 3, which should be a good step up, but it looks like the R5 C will be the camera that gets the full dynamic range with Canon Log 2 and possibly a few other things.
And I reckon this 'full video unlocking' will not come cheap.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
... and the camera would have cost more money for minimal thermal improvements. Go and check the price volatility of copper.View attachment 196338
Over the past five years, copper price has varied between $2.05 and $4.1 per pound. even if the heat sync had a whole pound of copper in it, that would be a $2 variance on a $3,000+ camera. That's sub .1%

Attachments

• Cu.png
    Cu.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 42
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
How many wedding photographers/journalists/sports photographers/landscape or wildlife photographers tell their clients they can't do a job if it's raining? Not shooting in the rain isn't always an option depending on your business.
Sure, some photographers have to work in the rain, but wedding photographers? I doubt those need their cameras to be more than splash proof. I gather even some sport events take a break when it rains, e.g. baseball.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Why are people assuming that it will not be weatherproof? There is zero chance that it will not be any less weatherproof than R5. Stop making up stories people. Canon made a mistake by launching a camera that heats up and freezes quickly. They will NOT make another mistake by launching a camera that is not weatherproof.

Upvote 0
Not sure what you mean. Dxomark (as much as I don't like their methodologies) gives it 14.6Ev landscape DR which is the highest of Canon's sensors (at least full frame) and is dual gain @ISO400.
https://www.dxomark.com/canon-eos-r5-sensor-review-a-high-water-mark/
Photons gives it 11.85 and the highest of Canon's sensors tested.
https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon EOS R5,Nikon Z 7,Sony ILCE-7RM4
A more nuanced review of DR at:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-r5-review/5
Where have you seen poor results?
I think we have a misunderstanding. I'm talking about DR performance in video, not stills. In video the R5 is solidly behind the competition for a FF sensor. Since the "R5c" is video focused my comments are in context of that. The stills out of the R5 are fantastic.

The R5 sensor is "crippled" in terms of we know they can do much, much better: C500 for example. Sony is putting some of their best tech in "consumer" cameras. Canon should do the same.

more BS from a Sony fan...
The only camera I own at the moment is an R5. Please seek help for your brand identity problem.

Upvote 0
Sure, some photographers have to work in the rain, but wedding photographers? I doubt those need their cameras to be more than splash proof. I gather even some sport events take a break when it rains, e.g. baseball.
I think it really depends. Rain delay rules are different by the sport and some sports are more tolerant of rain than others. On the more tolerant end of the spectrum, I believe football and rugby only stop for lightning or dangerous weather. On the wedding side, I'd suspect more often than not splash protection would be sufficient. For context, I'm a hobby photographer but I take the odd paid job. The last time I shot a wedding was by far the wettest I've ever let my camera get. The client's wedding day rained non-stop but they dreamed of wedding photos under fall colour, so we made it work. Unfortunately making it work felt like I came out of a pool when we were done! I've shot in plenty of downpours for landscapes, but that wedding was by far the wettest I've ever let my camera get, and only because someone was paying me to do it.

Again, others have noted that a lot of the active cooling bodies can be weather sealed, and I'm all for that. Knowing my use history, I need weather sealing more than active cooling, but if I can have both, great! Again, I think it's all about picking the right tool for the job.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
One major reason I'm not buying the C70, form factor. I'm not sure how you can run/gun with it. It's good for a two person interview scenario, where it's on a tripod.
C70 was designed to be handheld.
While it is huge compared to the R5 it is small for a cinema camera.
(FX3 is not really a cinema camera.)
If you use large enough lenses then the size difference will not really matter.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
And there in lies the rub, we all have different priorities. For most R5 owners the video limits are not limitations, for some they are, so Canon is bringing out a different camera that is going to cost a lot more for them.

That doesn’t mean the R5 is a bad camera, it isn’t, it is the best general purpose camera Canon make and the people I know that own them absolutely love them (but I doubt any of them have shot a seconds video). But it isn’t everything for everyone, and no camera could be nowadays.
I fall into this category. I own an R5, a bunch of RF lenses, love it, and have not even toggled it to video mode to see the interface. Assuming I don't sell it, the camera will probably never record a second of video in its lifetime.

For those who need or love video, I'm happy for them that they will soon have a great option. For me, I would not want any of the following to increase for a feature I'd never use: size, weight, cost. If none of those go up, sure, better is better

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
C70 was designed to be handheld.
While it is huge compared to the R5 it is small for a cinema camera.
(FX3 is not really a cinema camera.)
If you use large enough lenses then the size difference will not really matter.
I’m curious: why is the FX3 not really a cinema camera?

Upvote 0

Monte

EOS R3
CR Pro
Jul 7, 2013
ALBERTA, CANADA
As an underwater photography, I was going to purchase the R5 but COVID put a hold on that since I'm not traveling anywhere or doing anything that would warrant a pricey investment of an R5, and the very expensive underwater housing for it. So I patiently wait and continue using my trusty 5DM3 which still provides stellar photos.

From an underwater photographer's perspective, it would be nice if Canon kept the R5's external dimensions and buttons the same so we can continue using our very expensive underwater housings which often cost more than the camera. Whatever camera I buy, it's for the long term.

And so I patiently wait.

I wonder if “animal eye tracking” picks up on fish and other aquatic species etc. in your use underwater?

Upvote 0