New feature firmware coming to the EOS R5, EOS R6 and EOS-1D X Mark III in the next couple of weeks [CR3]

Hi. I own a R5 but honestly I heard always the opposite. R6 has a slightly better dynamic range than the R5. What your statement is coming from? Do you have strong arguments to say that R5 is better than R6? I am intrigued.
I think this is common knowledge. Go to photons to photos and check out their graphs comparing the two cameras.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
I think this is common knowledge. Go to photons to photos and check out their graphs comparing the two cameras.
Very interesting site. I was not aware about it, just dxo and few others.... Strangly however the site does not carry too many latest Sony camera like the α7 series which is excellent in terms of sensor capabilities.... (α7R III or α9 II or α7S III)

.​

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Very interesting site. I was not aware about it, just dxo and few others.... Strangly however the site does not carry too many latest Sony camera like the α7 series which is excellent in terms of sensor capabilities.... (α7R III or α9 II or α7S III)

.​

They have all of those, they are listed as Sony ILCE-1, ILCE-7 like Sony lists the model numbers.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

puffo25

Jul 18, 2017
italy
Dear Jesse, thanks for the clarification. According to the photons to photos chart, the Canon R5 seams performing better in terms of ISO vs dynamic range than the Canon R6.
This is a great news since I own the R5 but I am puzzled: in fact I have see always people and youtube sample saying that since the R6 because has a smaller sensor (20 megapixels vs 45 megapixels,) the handling in low light conditions is better with the R6. It seams that according to photons to photos chart this is not the case. Correct?

Th R5 is great and by looking the online chart only the PhaseOne series are better.

The Sony ILCE-7C is I guess the ONLY real competitor to the R5 and the slopes are very similar. Am I correct?
Andrea

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Dear Jesse, thanks for the clarification. According to the photons to photos chart, the Canon R5 seams performing better in terms of ISO vs dynamic range than the Canon R6.
This is a great news since I own the R5 but I am puzzled: in fact I have see always people and youtube sample saying that since the R6 because has a smaller sensor (20 megapixels vs 45 megapixels,) the handling in low light conditions is better with the R6. It seams that according to photons to photos chart this is not the case. Correct?

Th R5 is great and by looking the online chart only the PhaseOne series are better.

The Sony ILCE-7C is I guess the ONLY real competitor to the R5 and the slopes are very similar. Am I correct?
Andrea
More pixels might be better at low iso but worse at high. I think the amount of pixels effects noise size compared to image size as well.

Upvote 0

puffo25

Jul 18, 2017
italy
Thanks @RayValdez360. I guess you are correct. So in extreme situations, ie low light (night scene) the R6 will perform better since it is obvious that unless you use a tripod, you will have to push up the ISO. And about noise, It seams the same issue. So what is the advantage, in this respect, for the R5 vs to R6? On daylight and not critical conditions only where the bigger file size, not affected by high ISO/noise or poor light conditions will provide a larger file?

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Thanks @RayValdez360. I guess you are correct. So in extreme situations, ie low light (night scene) the R6 will perform better since it is obvious that unless you use a tripod, you will have to push up the ISO. And about noise, It seams the same issue. So what is the advantage, in this respect, for the R5 vs to R6? On daylight and not critical conditions only where the bigger file size, not affected by high ISO/noise or poor light conditions will provide a larger file?
Dynamic range is measured at the ISO.
(The advertized base ISO is usually the cleanest ISO and not necessarily the true analog base EV of the amp)

Upvote 0

puffo25

Jul 18, 2017
italy
Dynamic range is measured at the ISO.
(The advertized base ISO is usually the cleanest ISO and not necessarily the true analog base EV of the amp)
Ok. Thanks. Than, in essence, btw for example R5 and R6 which one perform better and you can get less noisy images @ high ISO or has also better dynamic range?

Upvote 0

frjmacias

EOS R5 and EOS M50
May 14, 2020
Monterey, California
Wish I would have known Canon considers the R5 a video camera before I bought it. Hey Canon I take photographs, ever heard of that?
Canon should definitely include more features that still photographers can benefit from, but it was pretty obvious from the beginning that their marketing for this camera was pushing it as a video-oriented camera. That is why the overheating had become such an issue when the camera first released. And I say this as someone that primarly shoots stills. I knew ahead of time that the marketing for the camera seemed to focus on video.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
well she brings up valid points in the hope that canon will address them with firmware updates or provide practical solutions.
Really? I’d question the use of the word ‘valid’ for several of her ‘points’. Is ‘pretty it up’ really valid?

Has anybody had card issues with Sandisk cards In the R5, I know they are much more reliable in other cameras and Tony and Chelsea have a reputation for using crap cards looking for issues.

Batteries are batteries, she knows they run out but doesn’t want to carry another one, or remember to take an in car charging cable, really, that’s an issue?

Not recording video to two cards, again really? If I was doing a mission critical video shoot anywhere, let alone the other side of the world, would I really be using an R5? At minimum I’d use an Atomos to remove the time limit and give me all the video tools I’d want to shoot reliably and with redundancy if I felt it was needed.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Really? I’d question the use of the word ‘valid’ for several of her ‘points’. Is ‘pretty it up’ really valid?

Has anybody had card issues with Sandisk cards In the R5, I know they are much more reliable in other cameras and Tony and Chelsea have a reputation for using crap cards looking for issues.

Batteries are batteries, she knows they run out but doesn’t want to carry another one, or remember to take an in car charging cable, really, that’s an issue?

Not recording video to two cards, again really? If I was doing a mission critical video shoot anywhere, let alone the other side of the world, would I really be using an R5? At minimum I’d use an Atomos to remove the time limit and give me all the video tools I’d want to shoot reliably and with redundancy if I felt it was needed.
don't particularly agree with her comments, though I think she really likes the camera overall.

I use Sandisk for my SDCard (used from my 80D) and prograde cobalt for cfexpress... never had issues, but I also tend to format frequently vs leave a lot there over time. If it's the case, Canon should try to figure out what is going on, as standards should be standards and work for the majority.

agree with you and not her on the batteries, but it sounds like she took it out partially charged and got over 700 images? seems like a pretty decent amount, but maybe that's me.

The AF... I would expect it to try to match things it thinks is a person, the ai possibly could be trained better, but it's damned good and feel its a weird complaint. There are ways to compensate via the touch screen, joystick, always returning to centre (which I use).. I know that from time to time I do run into similar autofocus when there is a lot of clutter near the subject, but you learn to work with your tools

the video, I have to agree with her, but only a little bit (I wouldn't use it so not that interested).. it should be able to write to the SD card at same time as the CFexpress via software and the other brands do. I get the super high res stuff can't, but maybe make it clear and limit it to what the SDCard can write. It may have been done to secure performance, hard to say. Still if shooting 1080p should really be do-able.

and regarding camera bodies, yeah it's a bit of a brick. likely black and similar design because of ergonomics over time.. black is less obtrusive when you're taking photos too. but hehe it'd have been nice to have a bit of variation too.

its a bit of a fluff piece, but good to know it's still holding its own.. again I'm pretty stoked with mine, just wish I had more interesting subjects / time :) but don't think that can be fixed via firmware

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I can tell you right now this is the issue:

Over time, if you keep using Servo AF with Animal Eye AF on a dog, even if the indicator (blue box) stays on the dogs eye, it will over time change to focusing on the nose. I was able to make this very obvious by using a RF 50mm f/1.2 as you can more easily see the area of sharpness move forward.

I would say for me it takes about 3-5 seconds to shift. I’ll upload a video today or this weekend and share when available.
I have trouble imagining when I might want to take a picture of a dog with one eye in focus and the nose out of focus.

Upvote 0