Canon to release a 100mp EOS R system camera next year [CR2]

NKD

Nov 26, 2018
Keen for this. Using x2 5dsR's for architecture stills. Finger has been hovering the purchase button for R5's, although no need for video.. So the 5dsR still is king without an AA filter, if you know how to sharpen correctly.

Keen for ergonomics of a 1dx / smaller hybrid with vertical shooting. Less electronics would be good, can do without the new viewfinders.. Long-life battery & durability in weather is preferred. Pray this utilizes my abundant LP6 /n or compatible batteries.

Sure my current EF TS glass will hold up well. 100mp great for cropping, where needed. Yet to upgrade to any 2020 - 2021 ACR for the AI resize tools, the new gimmicky LR interface slow down 10+ years of workflow + is buggy. Tempted to install a Virtual Machine, if this is ever required. Although may have issues opening edited RAW / XMP files from the new ACR.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The 4k body isn't cold yet....
True but video is a natural consequence of the sensor size for stills. Not including video would be mistake and there is a market for 12k albeit small eg BM Ursa (although it is 12288x6840 in S35 format up to 60fps). The limitation would be the bandwidth/processing power. Internal 1:1 raw recording would be prohibitively expensive but following BM's approach with compression at 5:1, 8:1, 12:1 and even 18:1 means that it can be stored on USH-II SD cards.
If the R5s is ~100mp then providing 12k/30 with appropriate cinema lite compression would be an impressive camera even for 10 minute clips before overheating. There could even be 2 models with 12k or not with a significant premium for the video version

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
True but video is a natural consequence of the sensor size for stills. Not including video would be mistake and there is a market for 12k albeit small eg BM Ursa (although it is 12288x6840 in S35 format up to 60fps). The limitation would be the bandwidth/processing power. Internal 1:1 raw recording would be prohibitively expensive but following BM's approach with compression at 5:1, 8:1, 12:1 and even 18:1 means that it can be stored on USH-II SD cards.
If the R5s is ~100mp then providing 12k/30 with appropriate cinema lite compression would be an impressive camera even for 10 minute clips before overheating. There could even be 2 models with 12k or not with a significant premium for the video version
You know, that was TLTR for me, (not to mention BORING- I say that in my best Villanelle accent) strictly stills here, so why bother, right? And no, it's not something I care to learn. *click*

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Why? Sorry the returns are greatly dimninished as we've seen with the Sony A7RIV. With the Fuji GFX prices being so good, just get MF if you really need 100MP. With the new AI software around it's easy to get superb upressed results that you can't tell aren't native. I'm regularly using Topaz AI gigapixel for 10-40% upscale on my bird shots. If the source material is good the output looks fantastic. You could easily turn a 45MP landscape shot ifrom the R5 into a 90MP shot that. looks just as good. Haven't tried Adobe's new software yet. I think the current 45-50MP is more than enough for 35mm sensor.

Upvote 0
You know, that was TLTR for me, (not to mention BORING- I say that in my best Villanelle accent) strictly stills here, so why bother, right? And no, it's not something I care to learn. *click*
Strange that my post was too long to read (and perhaps learn something) but you have the time to respond. If not interested... move on and don't comment.
and Villanelle was a great character and actor

• Love
Upvote 0
what's the resolution limit of current lenses, does anybody know or have a link to actual data besides their official MTF charts? Looking at those however, I can't even find a single of their RF primes that would properly take advantage of a further decrease in pixel size. The R5 has ( I think) roughly 4.4 micrometers pixel pitch. Taking into account the Bayer-pattern, let's say the effective color pixel size is 15µm.

This supposed high resolution camera is then probably the reason why we didn't get sensor shift on the R5... and probably never will.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
what's the resolution limit of current lenses, does anybody know or have a link to actual data besides their official MTF charts? Looking at those however, I can't even find a single of their RF primes that would properly take advantage of a further decrease in pixel size. The R5 has ( I think) roughly 4.4 micrometers pixel pitch. Taking into account the Bayer-pattern, let's say the effective color pixel size is 15µm.

This supposed high resolution camera is then probably the reason why we didn't get sensor shift on the R5... and probably never will.

Resolution doesn't work quite that way. Improving the sensor will improve the system resolution even with a poor lens. Now at some point more MP won't visibly improve the final result to a human being, but I think for 35mm size that point is past 100mp.

Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Lol. So many people say they want this 100mp camera but haven't thought about the computer side of this. My 2017 MacBook Pro already shows a significant slow down using 45mp R5 raw files vs my 30mp R raw files. I wouldn't want to have to push 100mp images through this. I guess if you were just working on a suped up Mac Pro (starting at $6000) you probably wouldn't flinch.

Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
I know it's in jest, but I do crop heavily post with wildlife (skittish).. even after using sigma 150-600 + 1.4x TC. the freedom to work with that data is helpful. I've learned to tune out the pixel peeping some, but it does let you tell the difference between ok focus and sharp focus.
How is the sigma 150-600 lens and 1.4x TC? What body are you using it on? I'm working on figuring out what telephoto lense to get for the R5. I want the RF100-500 but looking to see what alternatives would work with the R5 and what success/failures others have had with these types of lenses.

Upvote 0
Lol. So many people say they want this 100mp camera but haven't thought about the computer side of this. My 2017 MacBook Pro already shows a significant slow down using 45mp R5 raw files vs my 30mp R raw files. I wouldn't want to have to push 100mp images through this. I guess if you were just working on a suped up Mac Pro (starting at $6000) you probably wouldn't flinch.
My computer isn't anything special but it doesn't really matter. For archival projects the amount of developing is minimal, and can be done in batches. Then I work with exported jpegs. That said, a fast SSD makes a difference.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I will take a 100mp with a good amount of salt but If Canon does introduce a camera with 100 or more MP it will closer to $5k mark is my guess
Probably. The 5Ds cameras were more expensive than the 5DIII, so makes sense.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
How is the sigma 150-600 lens and 1.4x TC? What body are you using it on? I'm working on figuring out what telephoto lense to get for the R5. I want the RF100-500 but looking to see what alternatives would work with the R5 and what success/failures others have had with these types of lenses.
to be clear it's the Sigma 150-600 C with the Canon v1 1.4x TC. The Sigma 1.4x is ... very soft. Its on an R5 with a canon EF to RF converter.
You can get fantastic results as you can see in a couple of attachments and the price is quite reasonable, but for things like Birds In Flight the weight and tracking is not going to be as good the canon RF 100-500 nor quite as sharp as the RF 100-500. However I can still get very decent shots, has longer range and cost is half or less than the Canon glass.. I'd love the RF 100-500, buuuuut that cost8U4A5630 copy.jpg8U4A8374 copy-DN-low-light.jpg. Couple of samples using this combo

also attaching a BIF .. this is where cropping / high MP helps.. the original size vs the cropped.. surprised to get those results, that eagle was at least 4008U4A5202 copy.jpg8U4A5202v1.jpg or 500ft away

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
In theory pixel size should be directly related to dynamic range because of full well capacity, and lower density sensors should have a distinct advantage. In practice the 36mp D800 sensor set the bar for DR back in...2012?...and the needle has barely moved since that time. Also during that time the sensors to match or improve upon the D800 have all been high density sensors.

We even see this with Canon's old sensor tech as the 5Ds/sR had the best dynamic range for Canon prior to Canon's newer ADC tech in the 5D mark IV, 1DX mark II, etc. The 5Ds/sR had better DR than the original 1DX and the 6D.

I'm not sure why this is. Why doesn't FWC play a larger role, and why is everyone stuck just below 15ev of total DR. But my expectation is that this new sensor will be in the 14-15 stop range like everything else.

I just can't agree with that statement. The 5Ds/sR offer fine detail and sharpness which had been limited to MFDBs prior to 2015. DR is what it is which means I might have to bracket at times when an R5/D8x0/A7r owner can make do with a single frame. But 12.4 stops is Kodak Portra territory, and is only limiting in scenes with extreme brightness range.
5DS R was lagging behind Sony A7R II BIG BIG TIME. (we are talking about 1.5~2 EV) I can even see that from my picture to others under similar condition. It is really not impressive at all. That is why I would worry about this new camera again. I am imagining it will be similar situation here - A camera without AA filter too for landscape.

Let's hope they are showing us same magic they delivered in R5. I would totally buy it if they can even just retain DR at the same level of R5 even with slower AF performance. I only do landscape and wildlife so no need for these super fast AF.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
to be clear it's the Sigma 150-600 C with the Canon v1 1.4x TC. The Sigma 1.4x is ... very soft. Its on an R5 with a canon EF to RF converter.
You can get fantastic results as you can see in a couple of attachments and the price is quite reasonable, but for things like Birds In Flight the weight and tracking is not going to be as good the canon RF 100-500 nor quite as sharp as the RF 100-500. However I can still get very decent shots, has longer range and cost is half or less than the Canon glass.. I'd love the RF 100-500, buuuuut that costView attachment 196484View attachment 196485. Couple of samples using this combo

also attaching a BIF .. this is where cropping / high MP helps.. the original size vs the cropped.. surprised to get those results, that eagle was at least 400View attachment 196486View attachment 196487 or 500ft away
Nice shots! Thanks for the info. I’ve just started getting into the bird photography and only have the RF85mm 1.2 right now. I’ve mostly been practicing and having to crop. Topaz denoise and sharpen do some amazing things for those crops.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Let's hope they are showing us same magic they delivered in R5. I would totally buy it if they can even just retain DR at the same level of R5 even with slower AF performance. I only do landscape and wildlife so no need for these super fast AF.

My point was that pixel size does not determine DR. I would guess that ADC architecture does, and Canon is not going to back to the ADC architecture they had prior to new bodies like the 5D mark IV, R, and now R5.

Upvote 0