Canon EOS R5, EOS R6, EOS-1D X Mark III, RF 70-200 f/2.8L IS & RF 100-500 f/4.5-5.6L IS firmware released

Mar 17, 2020
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Has Canon released the Raw Light for FCP?
The following Applications have been updated accordingly:
- Camera Connect 2.7.30
- EOS Utility 3.13.20
- Digital Photo Professional 4.14.0
- Canon RAW Plugin 2.2 for Final Cut Pro X
- Canon RAW Plugin 2.7 for Avid Media Access
Please download the Applications as well as the latest firmware.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
What I've not seen talked about is that you can now configure the R5 to behave just like a DSLR.

A huge improvement to preserve battery life or for low light shooters who don't want the blinding display on all the time but also don't want to use th EVF for menus.

In "Shooting 7" under "Shooting info. disp." "Screen info. settings" there is now a setting 6 "Screen off". This makes the "info" button basically behave like the "LiveView" button on DSLRs. I guess this is what they meant with "LCD Backlight OFF option" in the change log?

In this mode, with the camera away from the eye, both Screen and EVF are off. Put to the eye the EVF instantly turns on. The display can be used for menus, image review etc, just like with a DSLR.

For me this is quite a game changer for extreme low light work where I now get the best of both worlds, and I'm looking forward to testing how that plays out for battery life. Yay!

Can anyone confirm this function was introduced with the 1.3.0 update? Is this function also available on the R6 now? Would be a shame if not since the R6 is an especilly capable low light beast.

Regards,
Robert

Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
The following Applications have been updated accordingly:
- Camera Connect 2.7.30
- EOS Utility 3.13.20
- Digital Photo Professional 4.14.0
- Canon RAW Plugin 2.2 for Final Cut Pro X
- Canon RAW Plugin 2.7 for Avid Media Access
Please download the Applications as well as the latest firmware.
Thanks

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
What I've not seen talked about is that you can now configure the R5 to behave just like a DSLR.

A huge improvement to preserve battery life or for low light shooters who don't want the blinding display on all the time but also don't want to use th EVF for menus.

In "Shooting 7" under "Shooting info. disp." "Screen info. settings" there is now a setting 6 "Screen off". This makes the "info" button basically behave like the "LiveView" button on DSLRs. I guess this is what they meant with "LCD Backlight OFF option" in the change log?

In this mode, with the camera away from the eye, both Screen and EVF are off. Put to the eye the EVF instantly turns on. The display can be used for menus, image review etc, just like with a DSLR.

For me this is quite a game changer for extreme low light work where I now get the best of both worlds, and I'm looking forward to testing how that plays out for battery life. Yay!

Can anyone confirm this function was introduced with the 1.3.0 update? Is this function also available on the R6 now? Would be a shame if not since the R6 is an especilly capable low light beast.

Regards,
Robert

yes it indicated it was introduced with 1.3.0

I agree with a post... these are all bonus, people don't seem to get that.. the only thing they owe you is what they sold at time and to fix something that may have been broken, but these are new features ....free

I'm stoked too about this particular change.

btw if anyone is curious, even with the lcd off on the tilt screen, you can still use the touch to select your focus point.. well implemented.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
Wow, this sounds like it may address my issue where the camera refused to release the shutter a couple of times each week, even though I was in AI Servo and had the subject in focus. I'm always in high-speed continuous. Please let it be :p
When I'm shooting in the hi-speed continuous, AI servo, EVF, using the EF 100-400 my whole camera freezes requiring a battery pull to reset it. Doesn't happen in hi+-speed continuous or low speed continuous, so maybe this will solve that issue. I solved it last week by buying the 100-500 :) but that was an expensive solution!
Catherine

• Haha
Upvote 0
yes it indicated it was introduced with 1.3.0

I agree with a post... these are all bonus, people don't seem to get that.. the only thing they owe you is what they sold at time and to fix something that may have been broken, but these are new features ....free

I'm stoked too about this particular change.

btw if anyone is curious, even with the lcd off on the tilt screen, you can still use the touch to select your focus point.. well implemented.

Holy crap. That is fantastic.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
All the lockups I've seen reported have been associated with SD cards.
I've have multiple lockups/freezes (enough that Canon replaced the motherboard in my camera) and NONE were associated with an SD card. ALL occurred while shooting with a CFE card while in the Hi-speed continuous mode, AI servo.
Catherine

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Now why on earth would this extremely useful feature be added to the R5...and not the R6? LOL I was really excited to see this get added in there on my R5...but why can't it be available on the R6? You're literally telling the LCD to turn off! haha
Previously on the R5, I remapped a button to switching between the EVF and the rear LCD as my underwater housing blocked the face detection when using the EVF. You could fix the screen to be the rear LCD and then turn the screen into the body. Could be used for timelapse or continuous shooting star trails etc. Not sure if this completely turned off the power to the LCD but as close as possible. See if the R6 can do the same.

Upvote 0
That would indicate that the power to the rear LCD is not off. Are you suggesting that the rear screen works for moving the focus point when your eye is looking through the EVF or when not looking through the EVF. I guess the former as the rear screen wouldn't be showing the sensor output. That could mean that power is on only when looking through the EVF which is reasonable.

Upvote 0

Kam

Lumix GH5/A7SIII
Aug 27, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
If you can bother to read the whole thing it says it’s coming in a future release.
You know what else is coming in a future release?
R5c, R6 mk 2, Sony A7IV.

The point is "future release" could mean two months, or a year from now. That isn't what the rumor said. The rumor clearly stated it was coming to all three cameras this FW.

That is why R6/1DX3 people are so disappointed.

Upvote 0
You know what else is coming in a future release?
R5c, R6 mk 2, Sony A7IV.

The point is "future release" could mean two months, or a year from now. That isn't what the rumor said. The rumor clearly stated it was coming to all three cameras this FW.

That is why R6/1DX3 people are so disappointed.
What was it that said the R6 would get everything?

• Angry
Upvote 0

Kam

Lumix GH5/A7SIII
Aug 27, 2020
Tokyo, Japan

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210331-082035_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210331-082035_Chrome.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 51
Upvote 0

Kam

Lumix GH5/A7SIII
Aug 27, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
I know. I was trying to get you to say "rumor." So a CR3 rumor from a rumor website?

Anyhow, I hear R5 bodies are available for sale on Amazon.
I know what you were trying to do lol, wasn't getting baited that easily. Canon Rumors has always been very credible for me, especially at CR3. So credible I really wonder if they took out C-log 3 at the last moment to give the R5 a boost in sales.

There are in fact many R5 bodies on Amazon. Great camera, but I have no use for poor low light compared to the R6 just so I can take high MP photos and do 8k.

Upvote 0

Refraction

CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
This will also be good if you ever have to do a reset on the camera. You can go back to what you had, quickly.
Exactly. I always run through EVERY setting on each of the three R5's before each wedding and it takes ages. Now I have an SD card set aside with the settings I spent most of today perfecting :) I'm soooooo happy about this. Sad, I know.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I know. I was trying to get you to say "rumor." So a CR3 rumor from a rumor website?

Anyhow, I hear R5 bodies are available for sale on Amazon.
I know what you were trying to do lol, wasn't getting baited that easily. Canon Rumors has always been very credible for me, especially at CR3. So credible I really wonder if they took out C-log 3 at the last moment to give the R5 a boost in sales.

There are in fact many R5 bodies on Amazon. Great camera, but I have no use for poor low light compared to the R6 just so I can take high MP photos and do 8k.
There are R5's in stock at B&H and Adorama too.

When normalized there is zero difference in the high iso performance of the R5 and R6.

1617148256927.png

Upvote 0