Canon EOS R5, EOS R6, EOS-1D X Mark III, RF 70-200 f/2.8L IS & RF 100-500 f/4.5-5.6L IS firmware released

tapanit

CR Pro
Jul 17, 2012
it definitely has power as you can still use it to drag the focus point around, but it isn't emitting light... which is good when you're doing work in a darkish area and don't want to distract audiences (bands, weddings, performances)... which is normal with an SLR, but it wasn't with the new MILCs.. so this is a big bonus for some of us. The power savings likely there to some extent as it doesn't emit light... but it isn't the main desire for this feature... its to not distract others.
If you have "touch and drag AF" disabled, however, touching the dark screen won't change focus. Which is a very good thing if you ask me. Whether or not that has any impact on power consumption, I have no idea.

Upvote 0
I've have multiple lockups/freezes (enough that Canon replaced the motherboard in my camera) and NONE were associated with an SD card. ALL occurred while shooting with a CFE card while in the Hi-speed continuous mode, AI servo.
Catherine
Please keep us updated on how you go with the new firmware. If you still have the old lens with you, would be curious to see if the new firmware does the trick with that setup..

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I know what you were trying to do lol, wasn't getting baited that easily. Canon Rumors has always been very credible for me, especially at CR3. So credible I really wonder if they took out C-log 3 at the last moment to give the R5 a boost in sales.

There are in fact many R5 bodies on Amazon. Great camera, but I have no use for poor low light compared to the R6 just so I can take high MP photos and do 8k.
I think you're misinformed if you think the R5 is poor in low light.
Just because the R6 is slightly better, and that is questionable if you downsize the sensor resolution on the R5, does not mean the R5 is necessarily bad.

I have an R5 and it's performed amazingly well in low light.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
ISO 400 in LOG video.
ISO 800 in RAW video.
ISO 200 in RAW photo.

ISO invariant at 800.

Don't use the low modes (L100) for anything.
This is interesting, I always use ISO 100 in RAW photo, not saying you're wrong but do you have a link to support this? :)

Edit: Ignore this, I've since read a later post about ISO 100 :)

Upvote 0

Kam

Lumix GH5/A7SIII
Aug 27, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
I think you're misinformed if you think the R5 is poor in low light.
Just because the R6 is slightly better, and that is questionable if you downsize the sensor resolution on the R5, does not mean the R5 is necessarily bad.

I have an R5 and it's performed amazingly well in low light.
From everything I have tested downsampled 8k to 4k from the R5, vs HQ 4k from the R6, the R6 has WAY less noise at the same ISO for video which is what I do.

Are you referring to downsizing pictures, or are you talking about a different method completely?

• Haha
Upvote 0
If these things are critical to you and they are not offered on the hardware you choose to buy you have to think long and hard about continuing to buy into that hardware system.

For better or worse Canon has a method of hardware line segmentation that is their own and while they are changing (slowly) they are still more likely not to give you all the feature on all their systems then a lot of the competition. At this point you should know this is how Canon does business and continuing to buy their hardware tells them that you are ok with it (even if you are not).

If my Canon hardware ever fails to meet my needs I will sell it and switch to the company that does. I have not needed a Cinema Camera yet but if I did tomorrow it would be the C70 because I have a ton of RF glass and it appears to record video.

My needs would be:
  1. fits my glass and
  2. records video
√ and √ (y)

So far my Canon brand loyalty has been rewarded with Cameras, Lens and features that I want\need so I remain a loyal customer (oh and CPS is awesome).
My complaint really revolves around the R5 vs 1DX3. I am not fist shaking mad, but am annoyed Canon decided to offer a more capable camera for $2500 less and will not update the more expensive camera via firmware to at least match the cheaper one. I bought the 1dx when it came out. It is a great camera, but the auto focus with the r5 just kills it especially in video of animals, which I do a lot. The 1dx could be updated to keep their "flagship" competitive. I certainly have no complaints with the R5 or the update.

Upvote 0
the updated advanced user guide hasn't been released yet.
I believe that you need to enable high frame rate mode in the menu first (page 315 of the advanced user guide). Not sure why this option needs to be done first... would be much simpler to include all frame rates in the movie mode rec size screen
I use one of my custom modes (Mode3) for high frame rate. I agree I wish I didn't have to. I would prefer to have it reserves for Log/8k/FHD. Now I have 8k/log/120p

Upvote 0
Hmmm, I'm in the disappointed camp with the R6 firmware release, alas I can see the reasoning behind pushing the R5 with its enhancements. The only thing I like the look of is number 4.

Does this mean that I can now shoot high speed + with my 100-400 ii without losing the subject?
Hm, looks like i'm not the only one having issues with the 100-400 II (with 1.4x) and AF performance...

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
ISO 400 in LOG video.
ISO 800 in RAW video.
ISO 200 in RAW photo.

ISO invariant at 800.

Don't use the low modes (L100) for anything.
With LOG 3 video it is also ISO 800, ISO 400 is still enabled, but it changes to an 'L' setting
So 800 looks to be the native ISO for video with Canon Log 3 or with RAW video for Canon Log 2 conversion.

Upvote 0
yes it indicated it was introduced with 1.3.0

I agree with a post... these are all bonus, people don't seem to get that.. the only thing they owe you is what they sold at time and to fix something that may have been broken, but these are new features ....free

I'm stoked too about this particular change.

btw if anyone is curious, even with the lcd off on the tilt screen, you can still use the touch to select your focus point.. well implemented.
That is great to know. I well may try that.

Upvote 0
From everything I have tested downsampled 8k to 4k from the R5, vs HQ 4k from the R6, the R6 has WAY less noise at the same ISO for video which is what I do.

Are you referring to downsizing pictures, or are you talking about a different method completely?
Photos, but in your post you mentioned photos.

There are in fact many R5 bodies on Amazon. Great camera, but I have no use for poor low light compared to the R6 just so I can take high MP photos and do 8k

Upvote 0
Photos, but in your post you mentioned photos.

There are in fact many R5 bodies on Amazon. Great camera, but I have no use for poor low light compared to the R6 just so I can take high MP photos and do 8k
I would love to see what kind of low light you are working in that the R5's noise performance becomes an issue.

There comes a point where you have to actually light a scene, expecting a camera to shoot in pitch black isn't really practical.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I would love to see what kind of low light you are working in that the R5's noise performance becomes an issue.

There comes a point where you have to actually light a scene, expecting a camera to shoot in pitch black isn't really practical.
It's not me who said that I am, I was quoting someone else. My R5 is fantastic in low light

Upvote 0

Refraction

CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
@Refraction why ISO 400?

On my R I used ISO 400 because I read somewhere the gave the best dynamic range. On the R5 I have always used ISO 800 for log again because I read somewhere it gave the best dynamic range for the R5 sensor.

Do not ask me to back that up with anything because there is a high possibility that was all pulled out of thin air:)

I agree on CLOG 3 in my tests
You are correct. This from the R5 manual, updated edition.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-31 at 14.56.12.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-31 at 14.56.12.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 97
Upvote 0

Refraction

CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
Upvote 0

Kam

Lumix GH5/A7SIII
Aug 27, 2020
Tokyo, Japan

I shoot lots of run and gun scenes on the streets of Tokyo, sometimes in alleyways at night, or by riverbanks. The A7S3 and R6 handle them fine up to about ISO 25,000. When I tested the R5 there was so much noise at 12k I couldn't use the footage without needing lots of NR.

This is of course video, not photography I am speaking of.

Upvote 0
With the new 1.3 Firmware, everyone noticing that using Clog3 with View Assist on, blows out the image big time on the LCD screen. Makes it pretty unusable for monitoring exposure with it on, that's for sure. With Clog1 the View Assist works just perfectly. But with Clog3, the View Assist literally looks like your overexposed by 3-4 stops, even when you clearly are not.

Upvote 0