Canon EOS R5, EOS R6, EOS-1D X Mark III, RF 70-200 f/2.8L IS & RF 100-500 f/4.5-5.6L IS firmware released

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
With the new 1.3 Firmware, everyone noticing that using Clog3 with View Assist on, blows out the image big time on the LCD screen. Makes it pretty unusable for monitoring exposure with it on, that's for sure. With Clog1 the View Assist works just perfectly. But with Clog3, the View Assist literally looks like your overexposed by 3-4 stops, even when you clearly are not.
All good here!

Upvote 0
With the new 1.3 Firmware, everyone noticing that using Clog3 with View Assist on, blows out the image big time on the LCD screen. Makes it pretty unusable for monitoring exposure with it on, that's for sure. With Clog1 the View Assist works just perfectly. But with Clog3, the View Assist literally looks like your overexposed by 3-4 stops, even when you clearly are not.
I just set CLog3 + View Assist On w/ the RF 35mm 1.8 @ 2.8 ISO 800 1/50 and did not see this happen.

Edit: 4K-U / 23.98 / ALL-I

Upvote 0

Jstnelson

EOS R5
Feb 21, 2020
I’ve only played with it a few minutes but, in Clog3 with view assist + zebras, I thought zebras wasn’t working because the image was super bright with no zebras showing. I increased the exposure more and finally got zebras. I was shocked at how bright the image looked when overexposed about a stop. I haven’t looked at any footage in FCP to see how exposure looks yet.

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2021
I have noticed this too.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Maybe in this little Canon “but what about the photographers” bubble but anyone switching to Canon or interested in making more of their investments is expecting capable hardware to have capable software to support it.

With the house comparison, it doesn’t really apply because you can’t update a house over WiFi to everyone with 1-3 models to update. But say it’s the home automation, and yes I would very much expect to hear Morgan freeman as my assistant if it is capable. But even Cars get updates based on the current landscape given they have a connection, see Tesla.

The problem very much lies in the very capable hardware and not being available to fully utilize like the competition. That first compounds if you have a shelf of L glass and you love shooting canon(me). That secondarily compounds if fairly basic “features” found in sub $2000 cameras(custom modes,log profiles, unlimited recording, recording to both cards, zebras, decoupling ibis) are missing.....it’s not the end of the world, but is frustrating.

The problem really isn’t the R5, it’s that the solution is sell all of your glass, switch brands(that you don’t even like) or buy a “cinema” camera for $6000+, In addition to an R/R5/R6.

Love the update BTW

My analogy might not fit your vision perfectly but it holds true if you stick to the opening sentence.

If it isn't in the camera when you take it out of the box, then aside from taking care of the base featiures that "just don't work" then I don't believe the manufacturer owes anyone a darn thing more.

If a person makes a purchase based on hopes and dreams and not what is included when the equipment comes out of the box then they have no one to blame but themselves. Blaming the manufacturer or getting frustrated with the manufacturer doesn't make any sense at all - TO ME.

I was car shopping once and there were two models I was interested in and they were very similar except one had navigation and the other didn't. I asked about it and the dealer told me they could download the navigation feature for an additional charge. All of the other requirements were there, it just needed the download. The key to this analogy is the "additional charge".. FWIW it wasn't a Tesla.

The discussion here fits this scenario well - the equipment was capable of running the navigation program but if I wanted it I had to pay for it. How is that different from what Canon may or may not decide to do WRT the R6 or any other camera?

I just don't get it I guess.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
the updated advanced user guide hasn't been released yet.
I believe that you need to enable high frame rate mode in the menu first (page 315 of the advanced user guide). Not sure why this option needs to be done first... would be much simpler to include all frame rates in the movie mode rec size screen

Thanks, just before you posted I realized that I had to enable it first through the menu system. I think my former 5D4 was like that too. And agreed, it should just be a frame rate option, I shouldn't have to enable it first in a separate menu!

Upvote 0

mpeeps

Lovin' life on the Central Coast
CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
California
www.mpeeples.com
Firmware Version 1.1.0 incorporates the following fixes and enhancements:
  1. Adds a digital full-time manual focus function (a function that enables constant manual focus adjustment in both One-shot AF and Servo AF).
It works! Unfortunately, when in lens AF mode (autofocus), the manual focus function does not include the very convenient Focus Guide. I must switch to MF (manual focus) on lens before it pops up after I've enabled it in the menu. And yes, it is enabled.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
My complaint really revolves around the R5 vs 1DX3. I am not fist shaking mad, but am annoyed Canon decided to offer a more capable camera for $2500 less and will not update the more expensive camera via firmware to at least match the cheaper one. I bought the 1dx when it came out. It is a great camera, but the auto focus with the r5 just kills it especially in video of animals, which I do a lot. The 1dx could be updated to keep their "flagship" competitive. I certainly have no complaints with the R5 or the update.
Yeah the 1DX3 is in many cases a lame duck. Do not get me wrong it is a great DSLR (arguably the best ever made) but it feels a lot like it was released just before Canon 100% committed to Mirrorless and it has lost the love an attention of its creators.

I know I would be pissed if I had dropped the 10K Canadian for the 1DX3 only to have it out classed by a "lessor" model.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
All I can say about the update is that it seemed to have fixed the problem I was having with my auto focus, and I didn't have that problem until after the last update so.. Time will tell.

Every now and then - not enough to really be noteworthy - my R5 would stop auto focusing. Turing the AF on and off didn't reset it, and even turning the camera quickly on and off didn't reset it. The few times that it happened I had to turn the camera off and wait at least 20 seconds or so and then when I turned it back on it was "fixed"..

So far this morning it hasn't repeated itself and I subject my camera to the same circumstances that would previously cause the problem to manifest.

Time will tell.

Upvote 0
Zebras are a video feature. I've often wondered why we don't see it available for still images but this is something I have yet to see myself. Blinkies would be the stills equivalent I guess though, unlike zebras, the threshold(s) are not adjustable.
I had zebras on stills with my very pedestrian Panasonic FZ1000. It was a great help in manual exposure. Unquestioning faith in the accuracy of an EVF is an exposure failure waiting to happen.

Upvote 0