Canon EOS R5, EOS R6, EOS-1D X Mark III, RF 70-200 f/2.8L IS & RF 100-500 f/4.5-5.6L IS firmware released

Refraction

CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
I did a quick test on the updated Clog 3 with Canons Luts from the website. I must say I did say 'wow' at the resulting image. And I didnt even set the ISO to the recommended minimum of 400 (mad recommended around 1,000 I think?). I had it at 100 and the DR was so much better than Clog which is all I have ever used in the R5, C100 ii and 5Div.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
I tried to get the Full Time MF to work but couldn't figure it out...anyone? I cant see a use case for it anyway but always good to know how it works. I kept the shutter pressed halfway while manually focusing the RF 35mm f1.8 but the focus would not change.
Only 4 lens has the MF fw update for now. RF 35mm isn't one of them.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

B00MST!CK

R5c | R5 | c100ii | xf100 | xha1
Feb 26, 2021
The firmware update for the R5 is a step in the right direction. Thankful for 120fps FHD, Raw lite & clog3

Optimistic that Canon will release a firmware update that allows a shooter to: de-couple the IBIS from the lens stabilization & the ability to magnify while recording (every other Canon camera I've shot with has the ability to magnify while recording).

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I did a quick test on the updated Clog 3 with Canons Luts from the website. I must say I did say 'wow' at the resulting image. And I didnt even set the ISO to the recommended minimum of 400 (mad recommended around 1,000 I think?). I had it at 100 and the DR was so much better than Clog which is all I have ever used in the R5, C100 ii and 5Div.
@Refraction why ISO 400?

On my R I used ISO 400 because I read somewhere the gave the best dynamic range. On the R5 I have always used ISO 800 for log again because I read somewhere it gave the best dynamic range for the R5 sensor.

Do not ask me to back that up with anything because there is a high possibility that was all pulled out of thin air:)

I agree on CLOG 3 in my tests

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
A good rule of thumb is that if it isn't written on the outside of the box or in the owner's manual when you buy the camera then anything beyond actual bug fixes is gravy.

Lots of folks seem to think they are entitled to certain upgrades based on what other models offer and I've never understood that mindset. I've never bought a house with the hope that one day the contractor will come back and add two rooms for me at no extra cost. I've never bought a car without a navigation system and then complained that the manufacturer didn't give me the download for free later on down the road. It's truly mind-boggling.

Pro-tip: make sure you educate yourself about the camera you're buying and make sure it has the features you have to have right out of the box and 9 times out of ten you won't be disappointed. Wishing and hoping for things down the road is a recipe for disappointment regardless of the brand you choose.

Based on your post history, I think a Sony camera with a emphasis on video would be a better fit for you.
Maybe in this little Canon “but what about the photographers” bubble but anyone switching to Canon or interested in making more of their investments is expecting capable hardware to have capable software to support it.

With the house comparison, it doesn’t really apply because you can’t update a house over WiFi to everyone with 1-3 models to update. But say it’s the home automation, and yes I would very much expect to hear Morgan freeman as my assistant if it is capable. But even Cars get updates based on the current landscape given they have a connection, see Tesla.

The problem very much lies in the very capable hardware and not being available to fully utilize like the competition. That first compounds if you have a shelf of L glass and you love shooting canon(me). That secondarily compounds if fairly basic “features” found in sub $2000 cameras(custom modes,log profiles, unlimited recording, recording to both cards, zebras, decoupling ibis) are missing.....it’s not the end of the world, but is frustrating.

The problem really isn’t the R5, it’s that the solution is sell all of your glass, switch brands(that you don’t even like) or buy a “cinema” camera for $6000+, In addition to an R/R5/R6.

Love the update BTW

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That would indicate that the power to the rear LCD is not off. Are you suggesting that the rear screen works for moving the focus point when your eye is looking through the EVF or when not looking through the EVF. I guess the former as the rear screen wouldn't be showing the sensor output. That could mean that power is on only when looking through the EVF which is reasonable.
I believe in the firmware update notes Canon states that the feature turns off the ‘LCD backlight’. So yeah, maybe the screen will be black but it still has some power going to it like you suggested.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Maybe in this little Canon “but what about the photographers” bubble but anyone switching to Canon or interested in making more of their investments is expecting capable hardware to have capable software to support it.

With the house comparison, it doesn’t really apply because you can’t update a house over WiFi to everyone with 1-3 models to update. But say it’s the home automation, and yes I would very much expect to hear Morgan freeman as my assistant if it is capable. But even Cars get updates based on the current landscape given they have a connection, see Tesla.

The problem very much lies in the very capable hardware and not being available to fully utilize like the competition. That first compounds if you have a shelf of L glass and you love shooting canon(me). That secondarily compounds if fairly basic “features” found in sub $2000 cameras(custom modes,log profiles, unlimited recording, recording to both cards, zebras, decoupling ibis) are missing.....it’s not the end of the world, but is frustrating.

The problem really isn’t the R5, it’s that the solution is sell all of your glass, switch brands(that you don’t even like) or buy a “cinema” camera for $6000+, In addition to an R/R5/R6.
If these things are critical to you and they are not offered on the hardware you choose to buy you have to think long and hard about continuing to buy into that hardware system.

For better or worse Canon has a method of hardware line segmentation that is their own and while they are changing (slowly) they are still more likely not to give you all the feature on all their systems then a lot of the competition. At this point you should know this is how Canon does business and continuing to buy their hardware tells them that you are ok with it (even if you are not).

If my Canon hardware ever fails to meet my needs I will sell it and switch to the company that does. I have not needed a Cinema Camera yet but if I did tomorrow it would be the C70 because I have a ton of RF glass and it appears to record video.

My needs would be:
  1. fits my glass and
  2. records video
√ and √ (y)

So far my Canon brand loyalty has been rewarded with Cameras, Lens and features that I want\need so I remain a loyal customer (oh and CPS is awesome).

Upvote 0
ISO 400 in LOG video.
ISO 800 in RAW video.
ISO 200 in RAW photo.

ISO invariant at 800.

Don't use the low modes (L100) for anything.
Uh, ISO 100 has the best dynamic range on the R5 for photos. The ‘L’ ISO is actually L50 ISO on this camera.

ISO 400 also seems to have better DR than ISO 200 on the R5 because 400 is where the dual native ISO kicks in.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
That would indicate that the power to the rear LCD is not off. Are you suggesting that the rear screen works for moving the focus point when your eye is looking through the EVF or when not looking through the EVF. I guess the former as the rear screen wouldn't be showing the sensor output. That could mean that power is on only when looking through the EVF which is reasonable.
it definitely has power as you can still use it to drag the focus point around, but it isn't emitting light... which is good when you're doing work in a darkish area and don't want to distract audiences (bands, weddings, performances)... which is normal with an SLR, but it wasn't with the new MILCs.. so this is a big bonus for some of us. The power savings likely there to some extent as it doesn't emit light... but it isn't the main desire for this feature... its to not distract others.

Upvote 0
it definitely has power as you can still use it to drag the focus point around, but it isn't emitting light... which is good when you're doing work in a darkish area and don't want to distract audiences (bands, weddings, performances)... which is normal with an SLR, but it wasn't with the new MILCs.. so this is a big bonus for some of us. The power savings likely there to some extent as it doesn't emit light... but it isn't the main desire for this feature... its to not distract others.
Turning off the rear LCD is also useful for timelapse/star trail use cases... both for darkness and power savings

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
If these things are critical to you and they are not offered on the hardware you choose to buy you have to think long and hard about continuing to buy into that hardware system.

For better or worse Canon has a method of hardware line segmentation that is their own and while they are changing (slowly) they are still more likely not to give you all the feature on all their systems then a lot of the competition. At this point you should know this is how Canon does business and continuing to buy their hardware tells them that you are ok with it (even if you are not).

If my Canon hardware ever fails to meet my needs I will sell it and switch to the company that does. I have not needed a Cinema Camera yet but if I did tomorrow it would be the C70 because I have a ton of RF glass and it appears to record video.

My needs would be:
  1. fits my glass and
  2. records video
√ and √ (y)

So far my Canon brand loyalty has been rewarded with Cameras, Lens and features that I want\need so I remain a loyal customer (oh and CPS is awesome).
Very cute (&typical) answer.

The diehard Canon guys (I would consider myself in that space on most levels) yes everyone gets it. Go by a cinema camera, switch brands, this camera is for photography.

There just shouldn’t be much confusion on why people are frustrated in the crippling/segmentation. It’s clear as mud why from the outside looking in why there are limitations not based on hardware with an entry point of $6000. It’s just as dense to act like you don’t get it, than to say something about the issues.

I’ve said it more than once that I think it’s more of an issue if the Cameras being unfinished firmware wise than anything else. That’s one reason I expect to continue get firmware updates. Many of the issues feel very Gen 1. I don’t even use an SD card due to the issues there.

Its actually difficult to figure out what parts are being held back and what are unfinished pieces that just had not been added yet. See R6 firmware updates, they have always been delayed. You can tell they are behind

Consistent firmware updates are a part of tech. Don’t be confused why people want them, it’s the standard. Blackmagic, Sony , Tesla, Panasonic(for a price) hell even Apple are constantly adding features to years old electronics. IOS 15 will be out next year, the same people that expect to get that update probably are the ones expecting their camera to update if it’s capable.

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2021
Uh, ISO 100 has the best dynamic range on the R5 for photos. The ‘L’ ISO is actually L50 ISO on this camera.

ISO 400 also seems to have better DR than ISO 200 on the R5 because 400 is where the dual native ISO kicks in.
My bad. You are correct about ISO 100 being the best for photos. The L(50) or expanded modes are still to be avoided.

I’m pretty sure R5 is not a true dual native ISO camera. But not a lot is know about the sensor.

Upvote 0

TheSalvatore

Canon R5
Jun 18, 2020
Canon RAW Light file extension is .CRM - I have not found any way to get the RAW light to work in PP so far. Think it will need an update to get this sorted.

Standard RAW files (also .CRM) are working without issues.
Yes, I have no issue with 8K Raw and 4K. However, only facing issue with Raw Light. Are you having the same issue?

Upvote 0
Updated to the new firmware, but not seeing an option for FHD 120 fps? What am I missing? I see only 59.94 fps, 29.97 fps, and 23.98 fps?!
the updated advanced user guide hasn't been released yet.
I believe that you need to enable high frame rate mode in the menu first (page 315 of the advanced user guide). Not sure why this option needs to be done first... would be much simpler to include all frame rates in the movie mode rec size screen

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0