A new Canon ILC has hit certification

Apr 29, 2019
Probably not, as canon usually updates their professional series cameras every 4 years. We will probably see an R5 Mk ii in 2024.
Usually they announce in strong correlation with Olympics. This year we face Tokyo "2020", this is the one and only date of birth for the R1 as professional sports camera.
Yes, the R5 will stay in program for some years but it might get some derivates (video focussed, 100MP, ....)

Upvote 0
$6,999 is my guess. If it’s the R1 spec’d as rumored I’ll preorder.
I would pay that for an R1 as spec’d, too. Definitely worth every penny to have a camera that can shoot anything from super high res to super-fast, ‘regular’ res images.

Upvote 0
If Canon is going to ask that kind of money, this thing has better be near perfect... if it is, I’ll buy it happily. But if it falls short they will lose my business. This isn’t a luxury camera... it has to perform.
It could be the R1 is to the 1dx as the R5 is to the 5d. If that is the case I suspect it will come in around $7,000 to $7500.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Maths.

Thank you for the link, privatebydesign. It is an interesting read. There may be some additional dynamic range possible with some additional processing, but it is not clear to me from the information that it will give anywhere near 2x increase from DP data. It looks like there are a lot of unresolved questions regarding using this in real world conditions, but with what I understood from it I would be willing to agree that you might be able to get "some" DR increase if additional data is stored in the file and processed by your post software. Exactly what "some" is, I don't know.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
If Canon is going to ask that kind of money, this thing has better be near perfect... if it is, I’ll buy it happily. But if it falls short they will lose my business. This isn’t a luxury camera... it has to perform.
The bulk of sales will be to well to do hobbyists, not professionals. It will perform. To most, this (R1) camera is a luxury item. To professionals, a tool and luxury item.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Here is the RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM

SA control = spherical aberration control?
Wow - it looks like you really got a photo of it! Thanks! I'm glad to see a 3-way switch for AF range (far/both/near). They should have that on all their zooms! I wonder if this has their 1:1.4x magnification?

Now I wonder if they're going to have RF macro primes like this in the 180+mm range?

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Wow - it looks like you really got a photo of it! Thanks! I'm glad to see a 3-way switch for AF range (far/both/near). They should have that on all their zooms! I wonder if this has their 1:1.4x magnification?

Now I wonder if they're going to have RF macro primes like this in the 180+mm range?
Well, the MFD on the previous L version was 0.3m, now it is 0.25m so it is possible that it achieves that depending on the focus breathing, etc.

Highly unlikely to have a longer one, none of the mirrorless competition offers a lens like this (and Sony started it much sooner), so the demand is probably too low, maybe 3rd party manufacturers will offer such a thing.
Maybe the APS-C mirrorless model or the high megapixel model can be used in crop mode to get closer to that narrower FOV (although of course it will not change the blur or other aspects)

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
The bulk of sales will be to well to do hobbyists, not professionals. It will perform. To most, this (R1) camera is a luxury item. To professionals, a tool and luxury item.
I doubt that. I imagine most well to do hobbiest would sooner just buy a Leica. While I love Canon and feel they largely produce more technically advanced cameras than Leica, Canon does not come close to carrying the same panache as the Red dot. That said, after the depressing rumors of the R1 being delayed until next year, I starting
seriously considering a Leica M10 Monochrom “Leitz Wetlzlar” with a Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH... While it only shoots monochrome, I’ve found myself thinking that perhaps less is more... and given that this is a Leica (with a price tag of $15,889.40 for the body and a single lens) well, less really is more:-D

So in my case whatever Canon prices the R1 at, it’s going to feel cheap. The truth is the Canon makes a lot more sense for me as I have lots of RF glass... but I gave away my R series bodies; So all I have now to shoot with is Sonys. I’m still waiting on my Komodo... no telling when that thing will ship. But even then, I know the R1 would see more usage. I was never without my 1DXMK2. That brick went everywhere with me.

I just had a thought. Could it be that in the long run the Leica is cheaper? Most old cameras are just considered outdated. But even old Leica are considered cool... indeed, many are sort after. Perhaps Leica is the cure to GAS? One camera... one lens... for life!

Damit... I’ll probably just buy both.

• Haha
Upvote 0