Show your Bird Portraits

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Mallards have returned to my backyard pond, a bit later than normal this year, to forage, mate, and bathe. They typically visit mid-day for a few hours so lighting is harsh. Only one pair so far this year, some years we have multiple pairs that take turns. I managed a few shots between lectures today. Looking forward to the weekend when I have more time.

R6, EF 100-400II, EF 1.4xIII, handheld. DxO PL4, crop, camera rendering, DeepPrime.

Enjoying a sunny day in Colorado, munching on pond algae.
DMR60933.jpg

DMR60931.jpg

DMR60925.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Mallards have returned to my backyard pond, a bit later than normal this year, to forage, mate, and bathe. They typically visit mid-day for a few hours so lighting is harsh. Only one pair so far this year, some years we have multiple pairs that take turns. I managed a few shots between lectures today. Looking forward to the weekend when I have more time.

R6, EF 100-400II, EF 1.4xIII, handheld. DxO PL4, crop, camera rendering, DeepPrime.

Enjoying a sunny day in Colorado, munching on pond algae.
View attachment 197316

View attachment 197318

View attachment 197317
Very nice - harsh works for the male!

Since some bathing beauties have been featured, I thought I'd throw this into the mix.Chickadee bathing_8240.JPGChickadee bathing_8240.JPG

Jack

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Managed to get into the grounds of the 17th C Anglesey Abbey for the first time in over a year to visit a tree where there is sometimes a Tree Creeper. And what did I see instead - some small white feathers on the ground and this telltale one.
DSC_1645-DxO_treecreeper_feather-lssm.jpg

Then, on the roof of the old building was a Grey Wagtail catching an insect.

DSC_1652-DxO_Grey_Wagtail+Fly_crop1-1_40x.jpg

Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
Just back from the Yucatan photographing Greater Flamingos--here's a sample. They're really skittish and all my shots were at 700 mm (RF 100-500 + RF 1.4 TC) and only occasionally could get close enough to get full frame. Lots of light, though so using the TC was no problem. This pic is hand held. About 30% of the time I used a monopod.
CatherineFlamingos on Parade.jpg

Reactions: 16 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Just back from the Yucatan photographing Greater Flamingos--here's a sample. They're really skittish and all my shots were at 700 mm (RF 100-500 + RF 1.4 TC) and only occasionally could get close enough to get full frame. Lots of light, though so using the TC was no problem. This pic is hand held. About 30% of the time I used a monopod.
CatherineView attachment 197326
Beautiful photo, Catherine - I can almost feel the heat and the salty Gulf air.

Upvote 0
Here's 3 from my backyard in Sydney and one from a local park.
The first 3 taken with my Canon R and the RF 24-240. I know a lot of people poo poo this lens, but I find it good aro u nd the house.
The 4th photo taken with my R and 100-400L (Mk1).
I don't know what the first bird is, but it makes a terrible screech.
The 2nd bird is the ubiquitous Kookaburra and the last bird is a Corrella.

Upvote 0