Canon will introduce new tilt-shift lenses with a high-megapixel camera [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have reported on the coming tilt-shift lenses for the RF mount, these are apparently going to be the first tilt-shift lenses with autofocus.
I have been told that Canon plans to introduce two new autofocus tilt-shift lenses alongside a high-megapixel camera. The announcement timeframe for such a camera is still unknown, but the source claims the first half of 2022 is extremely likely and that these lenses were to come in late 2021.
The two rumored autofocus tilt-shift lenses from Canon will be the Canon TS-R 14mm f/4L and Canon TS-R 24mm f/3.5L.
The high-megapixel RF mount camera has been rumored for quite some time as it’s an obvious step Canon needs to make. The roadmap for EOS R bodies is far less known than that of the RF mount lenses we expect to see announced in the next year or two.
More to come…

Continue reading...

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
With these 2 plus the rumored 130/5 f/1.4 (?) and the upcoming 100 macro (pre-ordered) I will be able to migrate my whole Canon lens stable to RF.

I assume I'll have to start considering selling a kidney as someone has mentioned :ROFLMAO:

Excited for the new offerings (when they will materialize!)... TS lenses with AF who would have thought? Although to be fair the MF aids of my R5 have breathed new live in my EF TS lenses.

Mixed feelings as EF lenses have accompanied me for pretty much all of my photographic life and have helped me create a lot of images I cherish... but I've never been really attached to any of my toys, so in with the new! :love:

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

davidcl0nel

Canon R5, 17 TSE, RF35+85 IS, RF70-200 4 IS, EF135
Jan 11, 2014
Berlin
www.flickr.com
>TS lenses with AF who would have thought?

With the focus system in an DSLR it was impossible. Event the light meter was completely wrong if shifted.
With the contrast focus on the sensor this should be possible.

Maybe even tilt is possible. Imagine on rectangle with EyeAF for focus, and then you slightly tilt the lens and 2 rectangles will appear. The focus plane is tilted and both eyes are in focus. This would be a game changer and a 90mm TS (like the newer one) would even a very great help for people photography. Not only architecture or macro...

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
It will be interesting to see how autofocus would work on a seriously tilted lens. With the current 24mm and 17mm, I used the manual focus to get something focused, and then adjusted the tilt to get everything else I wanted in focus. If you motorized the tilt and had serious computing power in the camera, that could work. Or at the other extreme, it might just work as autofocus in situations with little or no tilt, just so they could say it was autofocus for advertising purposes.

Maybe some time this will bring the TS-E models down to my price range.

Upvote 0
AF will be interesting, as well as how they implement the interface to control it with tilt.

In teaching people the use of tilt and shift, the concept consistently most difficult for even experienced photographers to 'get' is that with tilt the distance scale no longer has a defined meaning with respect to distances. Whereas with shift, you can focus and then add shift -or the other way round. The positioning of the tilted focus plane is dependent on both tilt angle and the setting of the focus ring together. This interaction seems more conceptually difficult, leading to people just randomly changing tilt after focusing or adding tilt and focusing to 'see what happens' Whilst it can work, there is all too often no deeper understanding, making it difficult to repeat effects or apply them consistently in different settings.

Two RF T/S lenses and a body... not cheap. I need more paying work and more people to buy my tilt/shift book ;-)

This from a 2019 patent application
tilt-mechanism.png

from http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/canon-ef-lenses-rumours-and-news/

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I'm happy for those who want these lenses. I just wish Canon would actually make the lenses they have already released. I'm getting a little tired of "on backorder," "more coming soon," and "released in limited quantity."
Tell that to your favorite large vendor that doesn't want to overstock camera equipment that very few people purchase. The new norm. Seller vs wholesale buyer. The large vendors are not willing to purchase niche items in huge quantities and they sit in warehouses after the initial 3 months. After the initial preorders sales numbers level off to relatively nothing. Alternative, purchase from your local and small retailer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Tell that to your favorite vendor that doesn't want to overstock camera equipment that very few people purchase. New norm. Seller vs Buyer. The vendor is not willing to purchase niche items in huge quantities. After the initial preorders sales number level off.
Generally that isn’t how vendor stocking works. Distributors, which in this case is the importer and manufacturer, offer terms. The retailer doesn’t buy the item and then put it on their shelf.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
I wonder why they will have them coming out with a high Rez camera, whatever that will be? Isn’t 45MP enough for these? They have a wider field of view, you can’t use all the rez in one photo.

somehow it seems by the announcement that these will have crazy high Rez if they are intro’d with a high Rez body. Unless the intro together is just coincidence, if these have been delayed for some reason, for example. We know that’s been happening.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
AF will be interesting, as well as how they implement the interface to control it with tilt.

In teaching people the use of tilt and shift, the concept consistently most difficult for even experienced photographers to 'get' is that with tilt the distance scale no longer has a defined meaning with respect to distances. Whereas with shift, you can focus and then add shift -or the other way round. The positioning of the tilted focus plane is dependent on both tilt angle and the setting of the focus ring together. This interaction seems more conceptually difficult, leading to people just randomly changing tilt after focusing or adding tilt and focusing to 'see what happens' Whilst it can work, there is all too often no deeper understanding, making it difficult to repeat effects or apply them consistently in different settings.

Two RF T/S lenses and a body... not cheap. I need more paying work and more people to buy my tilt/shift book ;-)

This from a 2019 patent application
View attachment 197428

from http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/canon-ef-lenses-rumours-and-news/
What about printing more?
Amazon can't deliver mine before June 9th...
If you want more quids, just deliver :p

Upvote 0
What about printing more?
Amazon can't deliver mine before June 9th...
If you want more quids, just deliver :p
Ah, I wish... that would be the publishers.
The last involvement I had with the book was checking proofs last year.
The US launch of the book was delayed quite a bit.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0