Here are more images of the Canon EOS R3

Aug 26, 2015
My point, not an argument because it is entirely factual, is that hinges take up space, as do the bezels and backing for a tilt swivel screen that are not needed at all , or at minimum not as bulky, as those required for a fixed screen.
I try to sum it up in a single sentence, hoping that you understand it a little bit: on this particular body, (which was based on the R5 in the first place), there is no space for a bigger fixed screen properly mounted to the body, and if they do a different body they will use the same exact space to make the camera more durable, rather than stretching the screen as much as possible, whether you are able to take in that information or not.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I try to sum it up in a single sentence, hoping that you understand it a little bit: on this particular body, (which was based on the R5 in the first place), there is no space for a bigger fixed screen properly mounted to the body, whether you are able to take in that information or not.
You clearly aren't capable of absorbing the information that the R3 screen hinge could have been omitted and the same space used for a larger fixed screen.

These are to scale. The distance from the edge of the R3 to the actual screen edge is much larger than the distance from the edge of the 1DX II to the viewable screen edge.

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 16.48.00.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-27 at 16.47.08.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
B
Wasnt expecting articulating screen so thats a pleasant surprise.

Edit: great to see Canon bringing touch sensitive af on button back.
Beautiful I like the body - likely to be able to slot in Canon 1D X MK 2-3 batteries along with a high capacity battery for this body.

Like the promise of subject tracking and deep learning - may trump Z9 and Sony's A9 / A1's.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Would not be easier to just make a mechanism to rotate the sensor 90 degrees at a press of a button for portrait mode?
Instead of adding all these extra buttons, dials, grip space, etc? That way would not have to readjust your hand and deal with
the rotated LCD, etc. Or just add a square sensor and then readjust aspect ratio in a fraction of a second.

I know a grip can store a bigger battery but many only need it for portrait mode.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

lexptr

Photograph the nature while it exists...
Aug 8, 2014
Years! Years, I've been hoping to see articulated screens on high level DSLRs! Now, finally, it seems to become a standard. Enjoying it on my R5. Finally I can get rid of the clumsy Angle Finder C and forget about it. The ergonomics and design of this R3 looks great! Sadly, I use two cameras and getting two R3s would be a little too much. So I'd better shut up and get another R5. I hope R3 will have some downsides, like lower MP or something. Lol.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
You clearly aren't capable of absorbing the information that the R3 screen hinge could have been omitted and the same space used for a larger fixed screen.

These are to scale. The distance from the edge of the R3 to the actual screen edge is much larger than the distance from the edge of the 1DX II to the viewable screen edge.

View attachment 197900View attachment 197901
For what it's worth, I think this shows that you're right re the 'argument' that the mounting plate for a fixed sreen takes up less landscape than a hinge for a similar-sized tilty-flippy. But (and here's me expressing a feature preference for a camera I can't afford and whose features I would use to the extent of about 10% if I bought it anyway!) I really really love tilty-flippies ...

Upvote 0
All I was trying to say was that, personally, I'd take a larger screen over a tilt swivel screen any day. Not least of which because I am photo orientated and the Canon swivel screen is better orientated for video use. If I had to choose a moving screen it would be the FujiFilm style arrangement that is much better orientated for photography.
I love my flippy screen on my R5 and wouldn't go back. Having a tilt only screen is good for street photography but useless for any shooting in portrait mode eg astro when craning your neck to see the screen is particularly difficult.
Interestingly, I was at a wedding (no covid restrictions at all at the time here) and the tog was very tall. He shot (with a 28-70/2 lens) the whole time with the screen out for lower and higher perspectives for both landscape and portrait orientations. Yes, a larger screen is better than a smaller screen but a flippy screen trumps size IMHO.
Another benefit for both photo (with <24mm focal length) and video is selfie orientation which is impossible with a tilt-only or fixed screen.
That said, I am particularly careful with opening/moving my flippy screen. It is clearly not as rugged as a fixed screen but also doesn't need a screen protector as you can turn it face-in for even better protection than a fixed screen.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I love my flippy screen on my R5 and wouldn't go back. Having a tilt only screen is good for street photography but useless for any shooting in portrait mode eg astro when craning your neck to see the screen is particularly difficult.
Interestingly, I was at a wedding (no covid restrictions at all at the time here) and the tog was very tall. He shot (with a 28-70/2 lens) the whole time with the screen out for lower and higher perspectives for both landscape and portrait orientations. Yes, a larger screen is better than a smaller screen but a flippy screen trumps size IMHO.
Another benefit for both photo (with <24mm focal length) and video is selfie orientation which is impossible with a tilt-only or fixed screen.
That said, I am particularly careful with opening/moving my flippy screen. It is clearly not as rugged as a fixed screen but also doesn't need a screen protector as you can turn it face-in for even better protection than a fixed screen.
That’s why I say my favorite screen is the FujiFilm type, much prefer it to the Canon swing out to the side to tilt.

Upvote 0
I'm a little surprised they are including it at all, as it seems to me to be a feature best suited for DSLRs that don't have touch control focus point selection through the back screen. Selecting the point using your thumb on the back screen is much more intuitive and controllable in my experience. I suppose they figured they would include it, since they've already paid for the technology, but I doubt I would use it instead of the touch screen.
It will be interesting how the touch-drag focus point selection will work in portrait mode with either a separate grip for the R5/6 or the integrated grip in the R3. I use the right hand side of the R5 screen in landscape mode and it also works in portrait mode as your right thumb is still in the correct location to use the screen.
Anyone want to chime in for how touch-drag works with the R5/6 grip? I guess that the R3's optical af-on "button" would need to be used instead in portrait mode.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
I don’t believe that for a second.
The reason I believe that is the R3 is likely going to be a great sports camera with 45mp+ and 30fps meeting the needs of most sports photographers.

Therefore, the R1 needs to offer a different purpose rather than an incremental upgrade (eg. Same as R3 but with global shutter) to justify a $7,500+ price that Canon would want for its flagship.

Upvote 0
That’s why I say my favorite screen is the FujiFilm type, much prefer it to the Canon swing out to the side to tilt.
Which Fuji model? The XT4 seems to have the same flippy as Canon. The XT3 looks to be tilt only but can tilt through 180 degrees for selfie mode
From B&H...

FUJIFILM​

As mentioned earlier, the X-T3 had a dual-hinged tilt design and the X-T4 switched to a flip-out swivel. The X-Pro3, a gem for street shooting, has one of the more unique tilting designs with a single bottom hinge, with the LCD screen remaining hidden during general use; it can then be revealed for playback or waist-level shooting, but FUJIFILM intuits will want to stick to the viewfinder for this camera. As you go toward the more consumer-friendly mirrorless models, you’ll see that X-T30 has a tilt-screen design and the new (and gorgeous) X-T200 has a flip-out swivel design. Each of these cameras has its rear buttons and controls on the right side of the screen, so one could ask if FUJIFILM just hasn’t figured out what works best or is simply giving its customers welcomed options

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Which Fuji model? The XT4 seems to have the same flippy as Canon. The XT3 looks to be tilt only but can tilt through 180 degrees for selfie mode
From B&H...

FUJIFILM​

As mentioned earlier, the X-T3 had a dual-hinged tilt design and the X-T4 switched to a flip-out swivel. The X-Pro3, a gem for street shooting, has one of the more unique tilting designs with a single bottom hinge, with the LCD screen remaining hidden during general use; it can then be revealed for playback or waist-level shooting, but FUJIFILM intuits will want to stick to the viewfinder for this camera. As you go toward the more consumer-friendly mirrorless models, you’ll see that X-T30 has a tilt-screen design and the new (and gorgeous) X-T200 has a flip-out swivel design. Each of these cameras has its rear buttons and controls on the right side of the screen, so one could ask if FUJIFILM just hasn’t figured out what works best or is simply giving its customers welcomed options
GFX 100 and GFX 100S

Upvote 0