Show your Bird Portraits

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I'm not at all familiar with birds and their names, but we have thousands of those here where I live, and I knew the swedish name of the bird, so I looked up the english name on Wiki. :)
You knew the Swedish name? Interesting - Are you Swedish, by chance? Not that it matters, but my wife is (but she's not a birder either).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
An extremely rare visitor to England, a Glossy Ibis. I could have used John's 1120mm for this! I had just the chance of a couple of shots at 500mm and upscaled 2x. There was immediately a crowd of excited twitchers trying to get a glimpse of the bird and so I was really happy to get a full shot before it was partly hidden.

View attachment 198103

It's beautiful. I looked it up on Wikipedia. Would love to se one here as well (but they are quite rare spotted here in Sweden as well)

Upvote 0
Today is a bit exciting, just discovered a bird spotting spot :)
It's called "Sandemar Nature Reserve" and it's just an hour away. There's Sea eagle and a lot of shorebirds, and! ...a bird watch tower. Just found it after a quick googling.
The weather is ok, some clouds and a little bit hazy. Approx 72 F/22 C
Well, wish me luck :geek:

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Don't have a clue, but the leaves reflecting in the water was kind of cool.
Canon EOS R5 - Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS USM III

View attachment 198002
Not 100% sure but it looks like a female of the Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) in definitive basic. The problem is the dark (or kind of dirty?) tip of the bill. Nice photo anyway!

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Today was really hard day for me: hot, humid (a lot of wind but not helping!). Insects where somewhere else. The birds - almost the same!
The only thing I got there was a juveniles of the Japanese White-Eye (family): not rare siting (not at all!) but when there is something more interesting you simply don't shoot them and I think these are my best (? still have to go into the folder to compare:sleep:). Anyway - these are only my photos from today and I will try to show why some visitors are reporting an Amakihi on totally unbelievable spots here (like near the beach :ROFLMAO::cry:).
On the first two photos you can see the white-ring just developing . The second bird (third photo) was significantly forward (same nest!). And the last photo is an adult - this is an old photo...
There are several things that separate the Japanese White-eye from the Amakihi but in some light (and if you have no experience!) it may not be that easy. Many people are just looking at the white ring around the eyes! No ring (bad photo or very young bird!) - "must be" Amakihi!!! DSC_7497_DxO.jpgDSC_7509_DxO.jpgDSC_7517_DxO.jpgZosterops japonicus - Japanese White-Eye 8_DxO.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Today was really hard day for me: hot, humid (a lot of wind but not helping!). Insects where somewhere else. The birds - almost the same!
The only thing I got there was a juveniles of the Japanese White-Eye (family): not rare siting (not at all!) but when there is something more interesting you simply don't shoot them and I think these are my best (? still have to go into the folder to compare:sleep:). Anyway - these are only my photos from today and I will try to show why some visitors are reporting an Amakihi on totally unbelievable spots here (like near the beach :ROFLMAO::cry:).
On the first two photos you can see the white-ring just developing . The second bird (third photo) was significantly forward (same nest!). And the last photo is an adult - this is an old photo...
There are several things that separate the Japanese White-eye from the Amakihi but in some light (and if you have no experience!) it may not be that easy. Many people are just looking at the white ring around the eyes! No ring (bad photo or very young bird!) - "must be" Amakihi!!! View attachment 198137View attachment 198138View attachment 198140View attachment 198141
Beautiful photos, ISv. The last one is breathtaking! (What lens did you use?)

Upvote 0