Canon EOS R3 to have a 30mp sensor? [CR1]

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
It looks like Canon may be repositioning their line though. Is the R3 the true replacement to the 1DX series? If so, will the R1 be the true replacement to the 5Ds/sR?

Or the reappearance of the 1Ds?

Many 1Ds users shifted from the 1-Series to the 5-Series when the higher megapixel/FF/slower handling 1Ds series was merged into the lower megapixel/APS-H/faster handling 1D series with the introduction of the 1D X in 2012.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Is there a list of how long things should last to be considered reasonable? I'd imagine that, and the warranty, are part of what has the prices higher.
It's what the consumer considers to be a reasonable time , e.g a washing machine that dies after only 3 or 4 years is likely to be replaced but if it lasts say 10 years is unlikely to be replaced so it's a bit of a grey area .
The tiny size of our country means a lot of things are overpriced anyway.
Commercial / professional products aren't covered by the law though
Here's a link if you're interested : https://www.consumerprotection.govt.nz/general-help/consumer-laws/consumer-guarantees-act

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I'm amazed that people actually want 45 megapixels. My life is so much easier with 20 megapixels because images process more than twice as fast now, and upload times, upload bandwidth, and disk space needs are reduced by half. And it's still way more than I need. If you have a 6K monitor, you can actually see 20 megapixels, but how many people do I know with 20 megapixels? And I have a very modern computer that is faster than most people's computers.
The R6 sensor is very good. And 20mp is enough for most common subject/print size combos. Never the less, having gone 'high rez' with the 5Ds...I wouldn't want to go back. I simply love the IQ even if I don't always need it. And when you can take advantage of it with a large print, it's stunning. And very immersive.

Not to mention the cropping. I was one of the people who kind of dismissed this as a plus until I actually had 50mp in hand. I love the freedom to crop as needed and still have detail saturation in print. And yes, sometimes you process a frame and realize there's another great shot in that frame when you can crop to MFT size or further and still have as many MP as we used to have in the 2000s.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
You doesn't count the stacked sensor. Stacked sensors gives higher read out speed, so it can be higher MP with 30 fps. It depends on picture processing speeds too...
I war relaying on the processing speed in this hypothesis. I wish it to be 40-50MP, but if so, Canon shoot down the R5, so there is no reason, commercially, for that.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
What would be the cheapest country to buy a camera? Canada, the UK, some Asian country, India? If Corona is over, I would be willing to travel anywhere, if that saves me more money than the flight costs. Of course that is only possible with a global warranty.

I remember that the Sony A9 was quite cheap in the Sony store in Shanghai. It was 32,000 Yuan in 2017. Canon also has a store there, but I am not sure about the prices.
No global warranties by Canon sadly , just buy a Grey import and cross your fingers !

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The R6 sensor is very good. And 20mp is enough for most common subject/print size combos. Never the less, having gone 'high rez' with the 5Ds...I wouldn't want to go back. I simply love the IQ even if I don't always need it. And when you can take advantage of it with a large print, it's stunning. And very immersive.

Not to mention the cropping. I was one of the people who kind of dismissed this as a plus until I actually had 50mp in hand. I love the freedom to crop as needed and still have detail saturation in print. And yes, sometimes you process a frame and realize there's another great shot in that frame when you can crop to MFT size or further and still have as many MP as we used to have in the 2000s.
Yes, once you have got to use high resolution, you appreciate it. As a dyed-in-the-wool OVF fan who uses the camera and telephoto as a spotting scope, I have to say the same about EVFs - their pros outweigh their cons for me.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

From what I see in reviews the Alpha 1 can't actually focus at 30fps on a fast moving subject so the 30fps is just marketing fluff and unusable unless you want to shoot 30fps of a static subject !
A crop sensor 30mp R7 would give you more pixel density if it ever comes out
The highest frame rates on all camera's even the Canon 1-series and single digit Nikon's has always had a list of conditions as long as my arm. Everything from minimal shutter speeds, card used, battery power level, AF point selected, the lens must be wide open, no third party lenses(a biggie with the A1), ... the alignment of the moon, mirror lock up.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The highest frame rates on all camera's even the Canon 1-series and single digit Nikon's has always had a list of conditions as long as my arm. Everything from minimal shutter speeds, card used, battery power level, AF point selected, the lens must be wide open, no third party lenses(a biggie with the A1), ... the alignment of the moon, mirror lock up.
I posted yesterday a burst of 21 shots of a dragonfly in flight using ES on the R5 + 100-500 and according to the EXIF data 20 of those were in one second (frames 2-21 all dated 13 June 2021 at 12:53:33, frame 1 12:53:32) so I don't think Canon is lying.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Or the reappearance of the 1Ds?

Many 1Ds users shifted from the 1-Series to the 5-Series when the higher megapixel/FF/slower handling 1Ds series was merged into the lower megapixel/APS-H/faster handling 1D series with the introduction of the 1D X in 2012.
I think here in the UK at least the move to the 5 series from the one series started with the very expensive 1DsIII and the introduction of the 5DII. Despite the 5DII’s inferior AF and built quality to the 1D series (maybe) done to try and keep serious pros on the latter, people flocked to the 5DII and according to retail sources the 1DsIII didn’t sell is as many numbers as previous 1 series, at least here in the UK. Canon seem to have accepted this and significantly upgraded the 5DIII to genuine ‘pro’ standards, and let the 1DX become the fast ‘n furious machine. Looking at the R5 it doesn’t look to me as if they’ve changed course.

Upvote 0
If it is in the low 30 that's fine. But if it is priced anywhere near 6000, that would be a no. #1 That's too close to A1 area (I paid less than 6 for my a1, sony bodies eat a discount very soon and often) #2 even for canon only folks that's too much over the R5 for essentially less battery life vs a griped R5 and , less mp. I think even the most demanding sport/wildlife/event can live with 20 vs 30.

Upvote 0
If it is in the low 30 that's fine. But if it is priced anywhere near 6000, that would be a no. #1 That's too close to A1 area (I paid less than 6 for my a1, sony bodies eat a discount very soon and often) #2 even for canon only folks that's too much over the R5 for essentially less battery life vs a griped R5 and , less mp. I think even the most demanding sport/wildlife/event can live with 20 vs 30.
I think it's funny how people get hung up on MP. More MP does not make a camera superior. It's nice in some situations to have super-high resolution but as a demanding Wildlife photographer I have to say that sometimes 45 is too much. Pixel density can become a problem with fast moving subjects. If I'm in Alaska shooting a fishing bear or a perched Eagle then yes, 45mp is great. If I'm trying to shoot something that moves fast I have to bump my shutter speeds (and ISO) way higher than I ever did on my 1 Series cameras to get a sharp photo.

I'm excited for the R3 at 30(some) megapixels. I won't have to fight with pixel density and the LP-19 battery is going to drive my 600f4 II faster getting me better target acquisition. This has always been a problem with LP-6 based cameras from the 7D on. Battery life will also be better than a gripped R5 from my experience with those batteries. So for $6000 you're going to be getting much better tech that is designed for fast action. Maybe less resolution, but with better tracking and acquisition, probably better EVF, faster readout speeds, a truly sealed body, etc.. . Remember that the 1DX only had 18mp (and the 1DX II/III only 20) and cost more than this camera and you certainly didn't see it replaced on sidelines with 5DIVs. As far as the A1, from what I'm reading you can get 30fps at 51mp, but only in very limited conditions.

I'll be keeping my gripped R5 for slow stuff, but the R3 will likely become my action camera.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I think it's funny how people get hung up on MP. More MP does not make a camera superior. It's nice in some situations to have super-high resolution but as a demanding Wildlife photographer I have to say that sometimes 45 is too much. Pixel density can become a problem with fast moving subjects. If I'm in Alaska shooting a fishing bear or a perched Eagle then yes, 45mp is great. If I'm trying to shoot something that moves fast I have to bump my shutter speeds (and ISO) way higher than I ever did on my 1 Series cameras to get a sharp photo.
Comments like those you’ve made about ‘higher mp needing faster speeds to stop movement’ are normally greeted with the equivalence argument.
However I have to say I’ve found the same thing with the 5DS - even when I do reduce the output size to 20mp……..

Upvote 0
Comments like those you’ve made about ‘higher mp needing faster speeds to stop movement’ are normally greeted with the equivalence argument.
However I have to say I’ve found the same thing with the 5DS - even when I do reduce the output size to 20mp……..
Yeah, I know. There will always be someone telling me to down sample the image, but I'd much rather just shoot. I really struggled with the R5 until I found that the reason I wasn't getting sharp action shots was Pixel smearing and that I almost had to double my shutter speeds (and ISO as a result) to compensate for smear between pixels.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I posted yesterday a burst of 21 shots of a dragonfly in flight using ES on the R5 + 100-500 and according to the EXIF data 20 of those were in one second (frames 2-21 all dated 13 June 2021 at 12:53:33, frame 1 12:53:32) so I don't think Canon is lying.

No one said Canon was lying. But try 21 shots on half battery or with the SD card or any of the other things that slow it down. Like on the 1DX, it is 14 FPS on paper, 12 FPS with AE/AF and the lens at 1/1000. This isn't a Canon thing, all manufacturers can only do their max FPS if enough conditions are met. The Sony A1 is reportedly getting to 15 FPS on third party lenses and only the full 30 on the latest Sony lenses.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Tony Northrup made a video about that idea. He showed that it would cause some problems for the high resolution image, as such a configuartion would need a different Bayer filter. To combine four pixels to one, the Bayer filter of those pixels would need to have the same colour and that would cause problems in certain situations. He talks about that in the R1 rumors video he posted two or three months ago.
I really do trust Tony when it comes to photography tips.
Even though he comes from a professional tech background I do not trust what he says at all.
I find camera sensors very interesting and very few people explain them very well.
"Those who know don't tell. Those who tell don't know" -Michael Lewis

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I’m sure the you the only way I would go for the R3 at this point is class leading CAF and excellent battery life. I was so pleasantly surprised with the R5 yet the battery life even with the grip is not so good
I do not mind the battery life with the grip, but I do find it to be a major hassle.
I plan on getting a C70 regardless, but an R5c with a BP battery would be very tempting.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Which sensor is already built? This is going to be Canon's first stacked sensor.
Being that this camera is in the wild, I imagine there is a sensor inside of it.
However, it is possible that Canon has not released the MP count because the body is being tested with different sensors.

Upvote 0