Update: The Canon EOS R3 will be officially announced on June 29th

Jan 30, 2020
I doubt it , more likely the same or less mp : I predict 24mp for the R1 which is going to be their flagship professional sports camera with probably twin Digic X processors and twin CF Express slots and maybe 40 fps, but they will probably make a high resolution R5 variant of perhaps 80-90mp
It wouldn't make sense to follow up a low-ish resolution pro body sports camera with an even lower resolution pro body sports camera.

The Nikon Z9 will likely be 50mp, 8K but with a D6 style pro body unlike Sony A1. Canon won't fight the Z9 with an R5 type camera. A high resolution R1 is more likely, with the R3 being their top sports camera.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
It's really not that, because all of that stuff got better, cheaper and faster too. You're not going to win this one dude.

Let's be truthful here. You're arguing for lack of capability for your own personal needs and desires. Understandable, but if they're only exist one camera, is a bit selfish. Or at least very short-sighted to say the least
That has to be the most ill conceived least knowledgable and ridiculous comment I've ever seen here, and I've been here a long time and seen a lot of stupidity. Well done, you have won the internet with your vast knowledge of what everybody else needs. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Yes, if Canon considers this to be their top sports camera, and the R1 as their top studio camera.
I think Canon will consider the R1 to be their Flagship professional sports camera as they've already stated that the R3 is not their flagship model and is not a replacement for the 1DXiii .
Canon will make a high resolution model based on the R5 but they won't call it R1 : perhaps R5S or R5SR and it may have 80-90mp.

I predict the R1 will have :
24mp stacked BSI sensor
40fps
dual Digic X processors
dual CF Express card slots

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
I think Canon will consider the R1 to be their Flagship professional sports camera as they've already stated that the R3 is not their flagship model and is not a replacement for the 1DXiii .
Canon will make a high resolution model based on the R5 but they won't call it R1 : perhaps R5S or R5SR and it may have 80-90mp.

24mp stacked BSI sensor
40fps
dual Digic X processors
Canon also said at introduction that the R5 was NOT a replacement for the 5DIV, and yet it is.

They want to protect the 1Dx3's market value by calling it the flagship, but how can a camera with an obsolete mount be considered a flagship? The R3 will beat the 1Dx3 in almost every way, so it will be the flagship until the R1 arrives.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

lnz

Jul 9, 2020
That has to be the most ill conceived least knowledgable and ridiculous comment I've ever seen here, and I've been here a long time and seen a lot of stupidity. Well done, you have won the internet with your vast knowledge of what everybody else needs. :rolleyes:
Stop replying this guy, it's just a nasty troll...

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
This is a backside illuminated but, more importantly, it's a stacked sensor. This should result in performance on par with the Sony A1. I am hopeful we see it perform even better than the A1 - especially in low light. The main benefits to this stacked sensor design is extremely fast readout speeds - think minimal visual distortion with electronic shutter - and, on paper, backside illumination should reduce image noise. I stress "on paper" because that has been the idea from Sony for its sensors using this design, but it hasn't really demonstrated a monumental leap in the real world. I would argue that the stacked sensor readout speed is the most important aspect of all of this.
Well we have no idea how fast it's scan speed is, the A1 is 1/240, the A9 1/160. The R3 will be a first gen stacked sensor, itmay have much lower DR than the A1, more like the A9. The faster clocked ADC's caused more read noise in the A9 which is why it's DR was only on par with the 5DIV. The A1 is more like 14.5EV. I'll be happy with anyhting over 13.5EV DR from the R3 and 1/150scan speed, but hopefully they can do 1/200 or faster.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016

24mp stacked BSI sensor
40fps
dual Digic X processors
We don’t know that. I don’t see a 24mp camera as making much sense the way technology is going.

• Haha
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Absolutely my least favorite "feature." Please, Canon, get rid of the SD slots and just go dual CFExpress! If I'm spending several thou for a camera, I'm not going cheap on the cards.
SDexpress continuous write speed will probably be as fast as any of your CFexpress cards or when Xsfering to a PC. Canon is on the memory card committee. They are fully aware of what will be happening in the memory card arena. There is only 4 manufacturer cards compatible and tested with Canon's CFexpress bus for high resolution video that wont give video recording flags. Basically a crap shoot. And they arent sold locally at Best Buy either
And lets not even debate the card reader crap. Companies struggling to sell cameras and then consumers have to search for card readers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
It's really not that, because all of that stuff got better, cheaper and faster too. You're not going to win this one dude.

Let's be truthful here. You're arguing for lack of capability for your own personal needs and desires. Understandable, but if they're only exist one camera, is a bit selfish. Or at least very short-sighted to say the least
I don’t really care either way, BUT the reality is that every process requires compute cycles and power resulting in a series of trade offs. While you are correct we have new technology it does not provide unlimited capabilities. A Lot of that new compute power has been absorbed by things like AF, AI, iBIS, etc, etc. You are looking at a component because you place value on resolution and forgetting these are complex system EFFECTIVELY delivering capabilities we only dreamed about 10 years back. It is also clear you may not understand market segmentation. People will vote with their dollars when the product is released and you have 1 (2?) votes like other buyers.

BTW - If the specs are accurate, I will pre-order the R3 on announcement. My personal threshold for a quick decision was 30mp or more sensor to allow some crop space. I can always cancel if I don’t like the full details and reviews. I decided not to buy the 1dx III because live view shooting provided a hint of what was next in mirrorless. i sold my 1dx II and made the full jump to R5 / RF Lenses. I also made that trade off from f2.8 to f4 glass to save size/weight. I held off buying a second body R waiting on the R1. Sounds like the R3 will work for now. I also love the 1 series type form factors. While grips help, a 1 series has a different feel.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Availability will be a key question mark. The agencies and CPS members will likely get theirs first, the rest of us low lifes will have to wait.

Good old Tony Northrup doesn't think we'll see the R3 untill 2022, maybe even the second half. That sounds way too long a wait, may as well not announce it then. I believe late fall of this year is most likely.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
We don’t know that. I don’t see a 24mp camera as making much sense the way technology is going.
Just my guess but a lot of professional sports shooters would prefer 40fps and 24mp (or even 45fps and 20mp) over 30fps and 30mp as capturing the exact crucial moment like a bat hitting a ball or a diver just entering the water is more important to them than a small gain in resolution which has no noticeable effect on the final image but does slow down your workflow.

Upvote 0