Update: The Canon EOS R3 will be officially announced on June 29th

Based on the rumors, my main issue is the mismatched card slots. I'm stunned they'd do this on a 1 series/pro type body. Everything else is a great upgrade for me coming from the OG 1DX. I usually buy every other 1 series camera but skipped the 1DX mIII waiting for my mirrorless switch. This looks to be worthy. Of course, waiting for the release to double check rumor vs reality. :D
To my knowledge Canon said that this is not a 1D-level camera. Also, the 1Dxii has mismatched card slots when launched between the 1Dx and 1Dxiii (1MarkIV also had mismatched card slots). Personally, I’m waiting for the R1.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
As a 1 series user I explained in another thread why I am happy with CFExpress and SD combination. I never shoot RAW to both cards but do have occasion to pass off jpegs to social media managers etc. For that use CFExpress is perfect for RAW and video capture, and the SD card perfect to hand over in real time with jpegs to pretty much anybody. SD cards, card readers, and card slots in tablets and notebooks are ubiquitous.

The more I see this darn R3 the more I think Canon have been watching what I am actually doing and making a camera to do that, rather than listen to the childish wishlist I'd spew if I was interviewed by a Canon product management team. The trouble I will have is getting one in stock....

P.S. I keep referring to myself as a 1 series user, I only do this to show relevance, I truly believe this camera is aimed at 1 series holdouts (of which I am one) and can't get over how relevant it is to my specific uses. We have to move away from this idea that all of us should see good in every camera release, what I find appealing and useful others will abhor, that isn't an issue as far as I can see because we have completely different uses.

If the official launch is in 3 days, I am puzzled that there is still no countdown or information about it on the Canon websites. For the R5 it seemed like there were all sorts of events planned to hype it up. If you want your launch to grab headlines, wouldn't you let everyone know there is a launch in the first place?
this camera is nowhere as big of a deal as the R5 though. R5 was like the first "real" mirrorless and had 8K raw and a high MP. 30mp and 30fps and all the little tech stuff isn't that important or sounds that appealing to most consumers.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
30mp and 30fps and all the little tech stuff isn't that important or sounds that appealing to most consumers ME.
Fixed that for you.

Why do people insist on thinking their personal wants represent the broader market? #hubris

What the data show is that most consumers (of ILCs) will not pay more than $1000 for a camera + lens(es) kit, and that most consumers do not buy FF ILCs. Therefore, the entire EOS R line is not that important or appealing to most consumers.

Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Yeah I expect it to be sold out, I also don't expect that many units avail due to chip shortages but doesn't change my mind set on it. I will preorder one anyway because I want to play with the eye af, unless its some magical sauce I will just sell it off after a month and have played with it as a free rental.
How do you get to use it for a month as a "free rental"?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
this camera is nowhere as big of a deal as the R5 though. R5 was like the first "real" mirrorless and had 8K raw and a high MP. 30mp and 30fps and all the little tech stuff isn't that important or sounds that appealing to most consumers.
For the general to advanced FF MILC market you might be right, for the market segment the R3 is aimed at it is way bigger.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
How do you get to use it for a month as a "free rental"?
I think lethiferous means buying it outright, using it for a month, and then returning it for a full refund while it is still within the refund period. Renting a camera soley for evaluation purposes does not really make a lot of sense in regions that have these return policies.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I dont think R5 price point is proper but def not 6k. I have an a1 (sony bodies are cheap moment they've been out a month. I paid less than 6 for mine open box condition) there's much to be desired on that body in terms of physical things but other than that it is fantastic. I am more excited about a R1 then this, I don't really care for the 8k video on the R5 (only used it once when I got the body) looking at these specs, thinking about body. 5300 is probably the most I'd pay for it. I mean why do we no thave dual CF express on this thing? Seems like the canon cripple hammer is showing a bit, if this is to be at 6k.
"Crippled"/"cripple hammer" ought to ought to be banned just like the D word now is. Irritating as F$%@

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I am a 1 series owner and user, I prefer 20-30mp and have no client use for more. As it is I have my work on interstate billboards and plastered all over the walls of design centers and creative spaces at huge reproduction ratios you stand next to. 20mp works fine for all of it, 30mp will give me a bit extra but I don't need it for client work of any kind. I, personally, do not want the hassle and inevitable slowdowns and storage limitations associated with larger files for all my work, it is of zero benefit to me or my clients.

I would like a high mp camera for some personal archival work I want to do but it isn't a priority and the 30mp will probably be more than sufficient anyway. If it isn't I'll pick up a secondhand 5DS for nothing and sell it when I'm done for a few dollars less.

What is ridiculous is people presuming what is good for them is good for everybody.
So are you the guy who does the "We bare all" billboards along I-75? :p

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I know no one camera can be ‘the one’ for everybody, but if the R3 is close to 30mp it hits the sweetest spot for me personaly.
Yes. 45 MP seems like overkill. I've never had a client complain about a 20 MP 1Dx II file, but I love being able to crop a 30 MP 5D IV file and still be well over 20. If they'd have just put some decent external controls on the R, it would have been just fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Based on the rumors, my main issue is the mismatched card slots. I'm stunned they'd do this on a 1 series/pro type body. Everything else is a great upgrade for me coming from the OG 1DX. I usually buy every other 1 series camera but skipped the 1DX mIII waiting for my mirrorless switch. This looks to be worthy. Of course, waiting for the release to double check rumor vs reality. :D
1 series cameras have had mismatched cards for several generations, although my memories blur on which had which. I've used all of them except the 1Dx III. Personally I would prefer them to be matched, but the SD slots were handy back when you could stick them into a reader for an iPhone and transmit a photo quickly.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
1 series cameras have had mismatched cards for several generations, although my memories blur on which had which. I've used all of them except the 1Dx III. Personally I would prefer them to be matched, but the SD slots were handy back when you could stick them into a reader for an iPhone and transmit a photo quickly.
There is simply nothing as versatile as an SD slot, especially considering the Micro SD to SD adapters.
There are so many devices with either an SD or a Micro SD slot.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

DJPatte

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Jul 10, 2020
Sweden
My guess…it’s the official unveiling with a vague “available at end of 2021”. Everybody is having a hard time getting anything with silicon out.
My guess is that this is an olympics show off release - they WILL get a couple of hundred or thousand or there in the next month :)

Upvote 0
Because the size of the files limits the speed and efficiency of my turnaround, storage and processing, and while all of those can be increased they can’t be increased at no cost. Which means my costs go up and my price has to go up, which is bad for business.

What is so hard to understand about the concept that more is not necessarily an advantage and for some it is a disadvantage? If I shot video and needed 4K I wouldn’t need an 8k camera, what is so different?
I think what you are pointing out is the difference between those who make a living with a camera and understand the challenges and expenses of editing, post processing and archiving, and those for whom it is a hobby, where one great photo from a session is all they want.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
There is simply nothing as versatile as an SD slot, especially considering the Micro SD to SD adapters.
There are so many devices with either an SD or a Micro SD slot.
Yes I forgot about the convenience factor. I have to keep a card reader handy for my 1Dx II files. I would have preferred SD instead of CF for the second slot in that body if they were going to be different.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0