The Canon EOS R5c is coming in Q1 2022 [CR3]

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Just naively hoping the R3 will join me on a trip in November. Trying to stay positive in spite of the announcement delays.
I hope I have the dilemma in 2021 of deciding whether I'm willing to pay the yet unannounced R3's price, hoping it doesn't shock us like the recent RF 14-35 F4L pricing did, while we cautiously but optimistically wait and see if this lens's performance justifies the price. Actually, I'm hoping we're pleasantly overwhelmed with positive user feedback on both the R3 and this lens. Otherwise, what's the point in buying either??

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

frjmacias

EOS R5 and EOS M50
May 14, 2020
Monterey, California
Can’t wait, I have a project in a couple of weeks with days long shooting and I already sold my last camera and bought the Ninja, so I just miss the new camera now. Need to make a choice tomorrow, either buy the R5, pray it doesn’t overheat on me and resell it when the R5C is out, or just buy an A1. I’ll buy a whole set of native lenses with either and the total amount will be the same in either case, but once I’d have done that I guess I’ll be in one ecosystem (Sony or Canon) for a long time. I crave for the superior IBIS and DCI of Canon, on the other side I’d have the state of the art 50mpx stacked sensor non-8Kraw non DCI capable, non-overheating reliable video and photography killer machine. But it will be one way or another for years. Tough choice
I'm primarily a Canon shooter, but use both Sony and Canon depending on what my project needs and what tools I have available. If I had to choose between the two ecosystems, however, I would personally go with Canon because I love their glass.

Upvote 0
I'm primarily a Canon shooter, but use both Sony and Canon depending on what my project needs and what tools I have available. If I had to choose between the two ecosystems, however, I would personally go with Canon because I love their glass.
I do love their glass too! And their IBIS and DCI and 8K RAW 24 FPS!!! If it was not for the fear of overheating my choice would have been clear and done by now. Im really afraid it would fail on me on day-long 4KHQ shootings

Upvote 0
GM glass seem good quality as well though, don’t you like them? (I personally prefer the RF that tend to be lighter)

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I have to echo your sentiments on Canon's glass, especially their L series. The original EF 300mm F4L with amazingly silent ultrasonic motor, introduced back in the 80's, is what caused me to take my credit card out and buy one, for the low price of only $799.00 at the time. Considering today's L pricing, what a bargain it was. I also purchased an A2e body to use it on but don't remember what I paid for the body at the time. Shortly thereafter, I ran an ad in Shutterbug magazine and sold all my Minolta gear. Like you, because of their glass, I have been a Canon shooter ever since.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I saw that, but what’s your point? I’m reading reports of people even having overheating issues while simply shooting stills… it’s really frightening me
There is not one single well documented incident of an R5 ever overheating using stills only, and I haven’t seen a single account I would trust that shows even when an R5 is or has overheated the camera is bricked and you can’t continue taking stills.

If the gear is really frightening you you are in over your head, so either don’t do the job or rent what you need to do it effectively.

Upvote 0
There is not one single well documented incident of an R5 ever overheating using stills only, and I haven’t seen a single account I would trust that shows even when an R5 is or has overheated the camera is bricked and you can’t continue taking stills.

If the gear is really frightening you you are in over your head, so either don’t do the job or rent what you need to do it effectively.
Just because you didn’t see it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. I’ve been going through forums for days now and found many legit Canon R5 users saying they did experience overheating including shooting stills, it has been surprising to me yet it was the case. Just do a google or YouTube search you’ll be surprised too. By the way you should know that even non video use (ie shooting stills and even having the camera on and standing by) does impact the overheating timer.

I’m doing the job and I’m not renting, I’ll either buy the R5 trusting in can handle 4KHQ output all day long to a ninja or ill buy an A1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Just because you didn’t see it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. I’ve been going through forums for days now and found many legit Canon R5 users saying they did experience overheating including shooting stills, it has been surprising to me yet it was the case. Just do a google or YouTube search you’ll be surprised too. By the way you should know that even non video use (ie shooting stills and even having the camera on and standing by) does impact the overheating timer.

I’m doing the job and I’m not renting, I’ll either buy the R5 trusting in can handle 4KHQ all day long on a ninja or ill buy an A1.
I’d appreciate a link to a reliable and repeatable source showing an R5 stop being able to shoot stills when it has only been shooting stills, as far as I can see that is not a thing. I’d like a link showing any verifiable instance of an R5 overheating and then not being able to take stills, again as far as I can see it simply isn’t a thing. Google searches throw up page after page of untrustworthy click bate and garbage.

Just because it’s on the internet doesn’t mean it’s true...

As for whether an R5 is the right tool for you to be using, nobody could advise you as they don’t know your actual working situation. For example amount of footage per day, time between video shots, working temp, indoors, outdoors, card use and type and size for stills, etc.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Hm when will get the R5 &6 an QoL update to lower the FPS in photomode etc…

Will there be also a R5a?
If I could bring a new Canon R… I would bring something <R5 or alsp <R6 but with 30MP and ~10-12 FPS, IBIS and dual cards.
When you request it maybe. Make your request to Canon support. I rarely see this request. It took but a few months of complaining with emails and support page request for Canon to implement "Save settings to disk" on the R5. With proof that it's on other Canon devices. If the function is available on other Canon devices, then state that in your request with model number etc. And post those request on other forums. Do not mix multiple functions in one request.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
When you request it maybe. Make your request to Canon support. I rarely see this request. It took but a few months of complaining with emails and support page request for Canon to implement "Save settings to disk" on the R5. With proof that it's on other Canon devices. If the function is available on other Canon devices, then state that in your request with model number etc. And post those request on other forums also. Do not mix multiple functions in one request.

Upvote 0
I’d appreciate a link to a reliable and repeatable source showing an R5 stop being able to shoot stills when it has only been shooting stills, as far as I can see that is not a thing. I’d like a link showing any verifiable instance of an R5 overheating and then not being able to take stills, again as far as I can see it simply isn’t a thing. Google searches throw up page after page of untrustworthy click bate and garbage.

Just because it’s on the internet doesn’t mean it’s true...

As for whether an R5 is the right tool for you to be using, nobody could advise you as they don’t know your actual working situation. For example amount of footage per day, time between video shots, working temp, indoors, outdoors, card use and type and size for stills, etc.
I don’t mean to be rude but would you actually read before posting you would not add to the garbage. I never said anybody stated his R5 STOPPED taking stills, I said they got overheating issues shooting stills (like, the camera overheats, shows an overheat warning, reduces the timer for possible video shooting, and even possibly degrades the quality of the stills - that last one I didn’t check about it but I assume it would be related to noise amount of some sort as typical as overheating digital sensor can produce but again, i didn’t check further about that specific last claim)

here’s one random picked comment:

2F7ADC72-615A-4ED3-BA8C-5A513224EF9C.jpeg

please excuse me to not crawl for more, if you don’t know how to search for the information and find it amongst the garbage I won’t do it for you, I did it for myself and was turned off by those comments

and If you had read my posts, you would have understood I’m simply intending to shoot hybrid stills and 4KHQ video on day long run and gun shootings, there’s no need for more info to understand that I may run into overheating issues, whether it’d be indoors or outdoors.

My heart says Canon R5 with a leap of faith and a ninja, my mind unfortunately says Sony A1, that’s it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
R5c is exactly what I need… if it has built in ND’s and less overheating at minimum.

Otherwise I will just stick with my two R5’s.

It’s super disappointing that the R5 overheats at 1080p 120fps too. And I know what people are going to say, “what are you shooting for that length of time with those frame rates?!”

Well, it’s a big deal when shooting a wedding with 1080 60 and then 1080 120 for those special cinematic moments. I had to wait for the camera to cool down just to get a cinematic sequence in a vineyard. A 5 min shoot took 15 min. To break it down, I shoot roughly 10% percent of 1080 120, 65% 1080 60, and then 1080 24 for 25%.

This has to be a timer issue. The camera wasn’t that hot compared to 8K and 4k 120. The weather was around 85-90 ish, yet it overheated and would reset once the camera was turned off and back on after 30 seconds “ish”.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
R5c is exactly what I need… if it has built in ND’s and less overheating at minimum.

Otherwise I will just stick with my two R5’s.

It’s super disappointing that the R5 overheats at 1080p 120fps too. And I know what people are going to say, “what are you shooting for that length of time with those frame rates?!”

Well, it’s a big deal when shooting a wedding with 1080 60 and then 1080 120 for those special cinematic moments. I had to wait for the camera to cool down just to get a cinematic sequence in a vineyard. A 5 min shoot took 15 min. To break it down, I shoot roughly 10% percent of 1080 120, 65% 1080 60, and then 1080 24 for 25%.

This has to be a timer issue. The camera wasn’t that hot compared to 8K and 4k 120. The weather was around 85-90 ish, yet it overheated and would reset once the camera was turned off and back on after 30 seconds “ish”.
That’s the kind of comments that freak me out. Did you try shooting with an external recorder?

Upvote 0
May 4, 2016
Can’t wait, I have a project in a couple of weeks with days long shooting and I already sold my last camera and bought the Ninja, so I just miss the new camera now. Need to make a choice tomorrow, either buy the R5, pray it doesn’t overheat on me and resell it when the R5C is out, or just buy an A1. I’ll buy a whole set of native lenses with either and the total amount spent camera included will be the same in either case, but once I’d have done that I guess I’ll be in one ecosystem (Sony or Canon) for a long time. I crave for the superior IBIS and DCI of Canon, on the other side I’d have the state of the art 50mpx stacked sensor non-8Kraw non DCI capable, non-overheating but reliable, less “cinematic” more “video” and photography killer machine. I have been hesitating for weeks, because one way or another, it will be one brand for years. Tough choice
So you have an important shoot coming up and you have sold your last camera and you have been hesitating for weeks on what to buy, well first off I'm glad I didn't hire you. Your going to go into an important shoot with a system and lenses that you are unfamiliar with. I hope you're not charging for this shoot. In the weeks that you have been deciding you could have rented both systems and seen for yourself which one was going to suite your needs.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I don’t mean to be rude but would you actually read before posting you would not add to the garbage. I never said anybody stated his R5 STOPPED taking stills, I said they got overheating issues shooting stills (like, the camera overheats, shows an overheat warning, reduces the timer for possible video shooting, and even possibly degrades the quality of the stills - that last one I didn’t check about it but I assume it would be related to noise amount of some sort as typical as overheating digital sensor can produce but again, i didn’t check further about that specific last claim)

here’s one random picked comment:

View attachment 198753

please excuse me to not crawl for more, if you don’t know how to search for the information and find it amongst the garbage I won’t do it for you, I did it for myself and was turned off by those comments

and If you had read my posts, you would have understood I’m simply intending to shoot hybrid stills and 4KHQ video on day long run and gun shootings, there’s no need for more info to underatand that I may run into overheating issues, whether it’d be indoors or outdoors.

My heart says Canon R5 with a leap of faith and a ninja, my mind unfortunately says Sony A1, that’s it
That does not support what I said, yet you are telling me to read before posting.

Did his cameras shut down from stills captures only? No.

Did he give a length of time of operation of stills only to the point his camera with temp warning would not allow him to shoot any video? Again, no.

Does he say what firmware he was running? No.

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
Be happy that it gets hot, because this means the camera is able to transport enough heat outside. If it would stay cool, it would melt internally. That's the price one has to pay for high data rates in high MP, fast shooting cameras in compact bodies, because today's semiconductor tech is extremely ineffective. And the more data such a camera has to process, the hotter gets it internally. That's no special problem of Canon, that's the limits of actual silicon based semiconductor tech. IBM's Watson, e.g., consumes Megawatts of electrical power and transforms it mainly into heat that has to be vented out of the processors. In contrast, our brain, capable of lots of Teraflops of computing power, just needs 20 Watts and heats the head up to only about 37 °C (w/o feaver, of course). Neurons are much smarter, that's why I still love to use my eyes as natural cameras and draw what I see ;)
I appreciate that, what is your frames drawn per second? :)

Upvote 0