The Canon EOS R3 will be officially announced in September

Sep 20, 2020
I am aware and fully agree with all of this. Hence, my emphasis on DR in an image, not in a pixel. Which I assume the typical consumer and certainly Canon is focusing on when it comes to choice of MP.
The standard way of measuring DR is an 8 X 10 image.
However, I use "standard" loosely as every test seems to measure it differently.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The standard way of measuring DR is an 8 X 10 image.
However, I use "standard" loosely as every test seems to measure it differently.
Yes, it is part of what the DR on the PTP site is based on. Specifically, a normalized size and viewing distance is used to set the threshold at which noise becomes too apparent. As you need some reference for the noise floor.

According to what I know, I would stress the looseness of the word "standard" here though. Never seen it used elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yes, it is part of what the DR on the PTP site is based on. Specifically, a normalized size and viewing distance is used to set the threshold at which noise becomes too apparent. As you need some reference for the noise floor.

According to what I know, I would stress the looseness of the word "standard" here though. Never seen it used elsewhere.
An 8x10 image at 12” viewing distance is the same standard on which DoF calculators are based. For example, see:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I have also seen a more recent, though not new, calculation of the reproduction diagonal divided by 1500 (or 1442) to give you the size of the CoC.

This means people that have a problem with "I never print 8"x10"" can work out the CoC for their personal screen or print size. Of course even using this slightly different way of arriving at your CoC still makes an angular field of view assumption of a generalized viewing distance. That is, if your print/screen/reproduction is bigger than 8"x10" then you view it from further away.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Start saving money... this R3 will be overpriced like all Canon gear. I see posts mentioning 4000 euro’s... FORGET IT. It will be 5900 euro’s. Canon is years behind on mirrorless bodies and now they finally catch up with Sony, they want your money... big time.
The fact that in two years Canon caught up to Sony in terms of AF tracking and in three years is offering a BSI stacked sensor clearly shows that Canon is technically on par with the competition. Moreover, for me they offer unique lens, e.g. a 100 mm macro with 1.4x magnification, and professionally designed bodies with integrated grips and superior ergonomics. Before you complain current prices I suggest you look at historical prices. In 2007 a Canon 1Ds Mk3 listed for $6999 (or $9086 in today's dollars)!

The R3 will not be inexpensive, but then again this is camera aimed at professionals. In USD I suspect the pricing will be between $5500 to $5900.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
For not having a mirror and not having an OVF I would like to see a discount.
Because a small, high-resolution display is a lot cheaper than a couple of pieces of glass? Lol.

Also, a discount from what? The EOS 3 film camera? The R3 isn’t a 1-series or a 5-series.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
Because a small, high-resolution display is a lot cheaper than a couple of pieces of glass? Lol.

Also, a discount from what? The EOS 3 film camera? The R3 isn’t a 1-series or a 5-series.
First an at least $1000 discount because of the model name with a "3" instead of a "1". And then an additional discount compared to the best avaible DSLR. Of course that screen might costs some money, but it is only needed because of the decision to ditch the mirror. It is like a prosthetic leg compared to a real one.

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
First an at least $1000 discount because of the model name with a "3" instead of a "1". And then an additional discount compared to the best avaible DSLR. Of course that screen might costs some money, but it is only needed because of the decision to ditch the mirror. It is like a prosthetic leg compared to a real one.

You do realize prosthetic limbs are very expensive, don’t you?

Your analogy is terrible.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
That was the most literal claim of Canon crippling a camera that I have seen yet.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
It costs a lot more money to get a limb surgically reattached than to get a prosthetic one.
That’s just an initial cost. Prosthetics need multiple replacements over a persons lifespan and often times people will have more than one for appropriate uses. Depending on their functionality prosthetics can be very expensive too.

Add in the multiple replacements and repairs along with fittings and adjustments etc etc over a lifetime and the cost could easily exceed the initial surgery cost.

I count myself very lucky in that I had a bad accident 20 odd years ago and could have lost my right arm, the surgeon, who didn’t know me at all, spent 7 hours saving my arm.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
That’s just an initial cost. Prosthetics need multiple replacements over a persons lifespan and often times people will have more than one for appropriate uses. Depending on their functionality prosthetics can be very expensive too.

Add in the multiple replacements and repairs along with fittings and adjustments etc etc over a lifetime and the cost could easily exceed the initial surgery cost.

I count myself very lucky in that I had a bad accident 20 odd years ago and could have lost my right arm, the surgeon, who didn’t know me at all, spent 7 hours saving my arm.
That was a terrible story with a happy ending.
I am glad you are still with us.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Canon need to get into the soap opera business they really seem to be stretching out their product launches. Why the hell tease something in early Spring that your not going to fully announce until September and sell from November / December.
Gone it seems are the days they keep something secret and then announce & start selling a month later.
It starts to become negative publicity.
They certainly seem to have done a 180 on their marketing strategy......you can see and feel the frustration this is causing in the marketplace.

Upvote 0