Canon EOS R3 sensor resolution to be 45mp?

From the article "But now the pretty reliable Nikon Rumors has said that "the Z9 will have a 45MP sensor that will allow up to 30fps" burst shooting. This is significant for a couple of reasons: firstly, it's a step above previous rumors, which suggested that 20fps would be the continuous shooting limit, but it'd also mean the Z9 would likely match the Canon EOS R3 for both resolution and speed

Canon hasn't yet officially confirmed the resolution of the Canon EOS R3, its equivalent mirrorless camera for pro sports photographers, but rumors have strongly suggested that it'll also be a 45MP camera. We do already officially know that R3 will be able to shoot 30fps bursts and oversampled 4K video."

Is it me (English is not my first language) or is this article a strange feedback loop?
The Z9 will match the R3 Res (as if the R3's is confirmed) but the R3 hasn't been confirmed. . . So rumours confirming rumours.

Seem like someone had some spare time and thought "meh, might as well p00p out an article to get some clicks. . . ."

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Canon took the time and energy to issue a statement that the sensor would be designed and manufactured by Canon. Why the secret about sensor resolution? Seems strange...
Silence on rea makes sense because everyone is watching. Exactly what they want.
The other reason is that if it is 30MP a lot of people will lose interest and it will land with a thud.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
From the article "But now the pretty reliable Nikon Rumors has said that "the Z9 will have a 45MP sensor that will allow up to 30fps" burst shooting. This is significant for a couple of reasons: firstly, it's a step above previous rumors, which suggested that 20fps would be the continuous shooting limit, but it'd also mean the Z9 would likely match the Canon EOS R3 for both resolution and speed

Canon hasn't yet officially confirmed the resolution of the Canon EOS R3, its equivalent mirrorless camera for pro sports photographers, but rumors have strongly suggested that it'll also be a 45MP camera. We do already officially know that R3 will be able to shoot 30fps bursts and oversampled 4K video."

Is it me (English is not my first language) or is this article a strange feedback loop?
The Z9 will match the R3 Res (as if the R3's is confirmed) but the R3 hasn't been confirmed. . . So rumours confirming rumours.

Seem like someone had some spare time and thought "meh, might as well p00p out an article to get some clicks. . . ."
So Canon is supplying Nikon? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Probably the most convincing argument for 45MP is "once you go to 8k, you don't go back". Clearly not a requirement for entry level cameras or M series, but any body at or above the price of the R5 will likely have 8k going forward (including the R1). There is, however a good chance the camera will include in camera downsampling and be able to produce lower resolution pseudo raw files that don't take up as much storage and transmission bandwidth to accommodate the sports crowd. Canon did say this is a "sports and wildlife" camera. Sports shooters don't want big files, but wildlife shooters typically want all the pixels they can get. It will be interesting to see how that dichotomy has been mitigated.

Agree 100%, as I pondered a few weeks ago...

Only a semi-serious question, as I am probably reading to much into this, but ... I had an email from Canon selling the R3:
(The missing quote that does not appear here is: EOS R3 SPECS REVEALED: The EOS R3 is our new high-performance, high-speed mirrorless camera perfect for pro sports and wildlife photography and filmmaking – discover what it has to offer.
Would < 8K (i.e. 30mp) be "perfect for pro sports and wildlife photography and filmmaking"? I can see the arguments for pro sport, wildlife would prefer higher mp but could compromise for other improved features, but would it be perfect for filmmaking? (Certainly not for 8K!)

There may be clues, as was said when the original development announcement was made:

and as you pointed out earlier:

Stacked sensors theoretically allow for an enormous amount of signal processing in the sensor. This leaves the opportunity open for on-sensor interpolation and therefore variable resolution without cropping.

That is my guess (wish?) too! Native 45mp capable of 8k video, but with on sensor down-sampling to 20mp and/or 30mp. Best for all scenarios, small, fast files for the sports pro, but large images for wildlife and 8k for video.

Of course, if my wish comes true I will be sad, as I won't be able to afford one for a while until the price drops.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
professional sports photogs don't have time to fuss with that nonsense. They need to shoot and upload. No post processing nonsense.
That applies to some or most, but not all professional sports photographers. The ones I follow on IG (MotoGP photographers) do post processing - not a lot, but they do it.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
Someone please explain to me like a child.

Lots of people are shooting with the R3 right now, right? Do we know who they are or can we at least guess?

They MUST be releasing their photos, right?

Granted they can strip EXIF, but what is the highest resolution photo anyone's made public with the camera?

Has anyone distributed a 30MP photo? A 45MP photo? Not even one?
I am sure they are not allowed to release a full resolution version. They may already have started doing reviews of the camera, which they can publish on Youtube, if it is officially released.

I wonder though how many people at Canon know how large the resolution ist. Apple has a hard time keeping all the specs secret each year. Japanese people have another mentality though. If their employer tells them to keep a secret, they will do that.

I would not even be surprised if Canon offered that R3 with two different sensor options.

Upvote 0
Apple has a hard time keeping all the specs secret each year.

Back before the the MFi Hearing Aids came out, every single employee in the company that got into contact about what we were developing for Apple had to sign a personal NDA directly to Apple. One poor guy had to keep track of all of us. If I recall correctly, it was eventually more than 100 people we had to keep track of.

I got to sign the NDA even though I wasn't working on the project, but happened to learn about it through my other duties and past involvement in the wireless development.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
Of course they have to sign DNAs, but leaks would still get out, if an employee thinks that the leak can not get tracked back to him. Of couse leaking documents can be dangerous, as Apple might give every employee a slightly different document to keep track of the leaks. They just have to change a single word or a single space between letters, words or lines.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
I would never use the GPS coordinates of a camera, because they show the location of the photographer, which does not really matter. If I geotag a photo manually, it gets the coordinates of the subject. Imagine you take a photo of the Eiffel Tower. Than it should have the coordinates of the Eiffel Tower, even if you took the photo from a kilometre away. Otherwise people who search by location will not find your photo.

PS: By the way, a really smart camera could even do that. It would know its location and it knows the distance from the subject you focus on.

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
Depends on your perspective. Personally, I find the ability to use only rear gelatin filters with my 11-24, or the fact that I need to carry filters the size of salad plates for my TS-E 17, a handicap. The ability to use an adapter with drop-in filters is an advantage in those cases.
Also, one of the adapters adds the Control Ring functionality to all EF lenses. I don't see how adding a function is a handicap. I love it.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Just why? It's waste of space and weight when You can simply connect to your phone and get same result.
Ehm, no. The Canon Connect app isn't very reliable, it will happily keep sending the coordinates of the starting point instead of updating them to the actual position.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
… I would not even be surprised if Canon offered that R3 with two different sensor options.
That happened in the past with other prototypes during some phases of developing and testing.

But knowing that the announcement is near, the decission is surely settled.
I don‘t think that some testers now have „wrong“ sensors just to confuse us.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Also, one of the adapters adds the Control Ring functionality to all EF lenses. I don't see how adding a function is a handicap. I love it.
I think Neuro said that the current situation (EF only) with having to use huge filters in front of 11-24 (or using gelatin filters) is a handicap. In EF mode! (DSLR/EF lens).

But when using the TS-E with a mirrorless camera he can choose the canon EF-R adapter that gives the possibility to add filters between the EF lens and Canon mirrorless camera so giving the capability to get rid of the giant front filters. So a TS-E lens with a Canon EOS R camera becomes a more interesting and versatile combination.

Upvote 0