Canon EOS R3 sensor resolution to be 45mp?

Aug 7, 2018
Only if it also contains a compass. Your location and range aren't enough, you need direction too.

EDIT: Unless, of course you're looking straight up, as Neuroanatomist pointed out!
I remember for the 1D X Canon offered an external GPS receive "GP-E1" for around $300 that you could attach to the camera. That one included a compass. So I thought that the built-in versions are at least as advanced as that one. There was an even larger one, the "GP-E2" for the flash hot shoe.

BuffaloBird

CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
If it isn't 45+ MP, I'm not interested. That simple.

They could simply have wised up and, after Overheatgate of 2020, decided not to headline that feature... FINGERS CROSSED

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
If it isn't 45+ MP, I'm not interested. That simple.

They could simply have wised up and, after Overheatgate of 2020, decided not to headline that feature... FINGERS CROSSED

If so, they could have bragged about the resolution and said nothing about 8K.

SwissFrank

from EOS 1N to R
Dec 9, 2018
Japanese people have another mentality though. If their employer tells them to keep a secret, they will do that.
Really off topic and it's not that germane so I hesitate (for a microsecond) before wading in :-D

Japanese do have company loyalty but even more-so, personal relationships. The senpai/kouhai relationship is between senior and junior employees (or members of the university sports team or whatever) and the seniors take the juniors under their wing and it's a very strong relationship. Were a senior who helped a certain junior to leave the company, then ask for secret info, the junior employee may feel so indebted that they give it. There is an actual case of this in the last 18 months in Tokyo.

pic

I'm New Here
Jul 17, 2021
Just why? It's waste of space and weight when You can simply connect to your phone and get same result.
Nope the bluetooth can disconnect and all of a sudden you're stuck with hundreds of pictures from e.g. a roadtrip that you cannot put back to where they were taken anymore. The internal GPS in the 5DmkIV and 7DmkII are nearly flawless in this use case while all others have tons of failure modes. (I did own a 5DmkIII+GP-E2 for a while: it sucks compared to the 5DmkIV and 7DmkII's experience).

Last edited:

pic

I'm New Here
Jul 17, 2021
I would never use the GPS coordinates of a camera, because they show the location of the photographer, which does not really matter. If I geotag a photo manually, it gets the coordinates of the subject. Imagine you take a photo of the Eiffel Tower. Than it should have the coordinates of the Eiffel Tower, even if you took the photo from a kilometre away. Otherwise people who search by location will not find your photo.
Correct but imagine you drive from Paris to Bordeaux on the Route Nationale and photograph a few hundred houses you find interesting along the way. To geotag them manually afterwards it a huge amount easier if you already have the location of the camera in there as a starting point.

Similarly if you later need to find a picture you took in Orleans, you can find all those out of the collection in a few clicks in LR even if they are not (yet) manually adjusted to where the subject actually is. Where the camera was is more than often "good enough" if you know the limits of it.

Now imagine you do this trip a few times in both directions every year. Now try to find the pictures you took south of Poitiers of a building at 46.5302, 0.28005 that a local historian has taken an interest in and asks you what pictures you have of it through the years.

Or imagine you're a sports photographer and follow the F1 circus around the world and take tons of pictures around those tracks every weekend. At some point there's some drama (e.g. the F1 track in Spa Francorchamps innodates and the track is damaged near "eau rouge") in the news and you could sell some of your old pictures of things that happened in the past at that specific location as now nobody has the ability to access the track as it's under water. If you can search by location in your entire collection .... it's a matter of minutes to find a few good ones that show the track at that spot in better days and can earn you a few bucks with little effort.

Only if it also contains a compass. Your location and range aren't enough, you need direction too.
The 7DmkII does save the direction it is pointed at in the EXIF data.

Last edited:
Reactions: kaihp

pic

I'm New Here
Jul 17, 2021
I remember for the 1D X Canon offered an external GPS receive "GP-E1" for around $300 that you could attach to the camera. That one included a compass. So I thought that the built-in versions are at least as advanced as that one. There was an even larger one, the "GP-E2" for the flash hot shoe.
I owned a GP-E2 (and a 5DmkIII) in the past. It sucks. It uses AA batteries that die fast. And you get next to no warning the camera is not seeing the info of the GP-E2 anymore and needs to be either turned on or get a battery replaced again.

On a 5DmkIV or 7DmkII: it's a -lot- easier or much less error-prone: turn it on, it remains on, and when you want to it to stop (at the end of the day): pull the battery out of the body - no way to forget to turn it on the next morning: you insert the battery and it's on and ready by the time you need it.

David - Sydney

EOS R
CR Pro
Dec 7, 2014
www.flickr.com
I would like to take the opportunity and ask for your experience: Is a polarizer a safe choice when using UWA lenses? I mean I read that some part of the sky will be polarized and some less or not at all. This would create a not so appealing photo.
Besides PBD's usage, I use wide angle CPLs to reduce reflections for waterfalls. Taking shots with and without but generally using the shot with CPL as looking through the water in pool of the waterfall (flat water not turbulent) is better than reflections. Reflections on wet rocks within the waterfall show up as harsh lighting.

Seascapes on rock shelves is another example. Use no CPL for cloud reflections on puddles on the rocks or ocean pools or CPL when you want to show what is in the rock pools. If it is overcast then there are no blue sky issues to use CPL for wide angle shots. If the skies are clear, there is no point to shoot a sunrise from my perspective :)

Reactions: tron

maulanawale

I'm New Here
May 25, 2021
Can someone who can understand what he's saying tell us if anything new is being said?

Disclaimer: I'm not Italian but Spanish, so although it's pretty much the same thing , I might have missed something.

He's just praising the ergonomics, how it feels when held vertical and horizontally and the AF on button. A brief mention of the materials and how nice they are to the touch. Reassuring that it is a real camera and not just a dummy but he's not allowed to turn it on nor mount a lens and that the viewfinder is huge.

It is the second video in Italian I see with someone actually holding it, and the main takeaway is that, to my eye, it seems to be very lightweight and it looks like an ergonomic wet dream :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: kaihp and R1-7D

koenkooi

EOS 5D Mark IV
CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The GP-E2 has an electronic compass inside, sadly Canon decided to stop reading that sensor with the R series. My EOS-M will log the direction, my R5 won't.

I'm keeping my eye on GP-E2 clones, there are a few very advanced ones, including ones that log to SD cards.

David_D

EOS M50
Apr 19, 2021
On a 5DmkIV or 7DmkII: it's a -lot- easier or much less error-prone: turn it on, it remains on, and when you want to it to stop (at the end of the day): pull the battery out of the body - no way to forget to turn it on the next morning: you insert the battery and it's on and ready by the time you need it.
Exactly what I do with my 7D MkII when on a trip, with one extra step ... when you want to it to stop (at the end of the day): pull the battery out of the body and charge if necessary :cool:

Reactions: pic