Canon EOS R3 sensor resolution to be 45mp?

pic

I'm New Here
Jul 17, 2021
Canon could also easily have been A-B testing it with both 30 and 45 MP bodies in the hands of those having signed NDAs and collecting feedback from them before they decide which of the 2 to they'll put into production. Maybe even along with test runs of the sensors to see what yield they get out of the fab.

Reactions: EOS 4 Life

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
Canon could also easily have been A-B testing it with both 30 and 45 MP bodies in the hands of those having signed NDAs and collecting feedback from them before they decide which of the 2 to they'll put into production. Maybe even along with test runs of the sensors to see what yield they get out of the fab.
Are you suggesting they designed and built a processing pipeline, buffer, etc., capable of handling 45 MP at 30 fps, while planning to decide later whether to use 45 MP or 30 MP? Seems unlikely.

john1970

EOS R5
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Are you suggesting they designed and built a processing pipeline, buffer, etc., capable of handling 45 MP at 30 fps, while planning to decide later whether to use 45 MP or 30 MP? Seems unlikely.
I agree and in all honesty whether the camera is 30 MP or 45 MP makes little difference to me. For me the specs that are more important are:
  • electronic shutter with adjustable fps not just 30 fps
  • buffer depth when shooting
  • spot metering link to AF point
  • AF acquisition speed
  • highISO noise and base ISO dynamic range

pic

I'm New Here
Jul 17, 2021
They could engineer it all and not put it in production ever - happens all the time in any R&D lab (I've worked in few myself - good stuff that never makes it into or as a product is more common than actual products in my experience).
Or they could keep it for another product down the line when / where it becomes more needed form either a marketing point of view, or more feasible from a production yield point of view, or even down to mere product manager whims. Also some things like processors etc might suffer more from problems like heat generated or reliability issues in the field if they need to run at high clocks etc.

In the end it's always a compromise no matter what product you make, design and/or release. And often there's more than one compromise possible and even desirable. It's just which will the customers like best, which function best (hence the testing from a technical point of view), and which make economical and marketing sense.

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
They could engineer it all and not put it in production ever - happens all the time in any R&D lab (I've worked in few myself - good stuff that never makes it into or as a product is more common than actual products in my experience).
Or they could keep it for another product down the line when / where it becomes more needed form either a marketing point of view, or more feasible from a production yield point of view, or even down to mere product manager whims. Also some things like processors etc might suffer more from problems like heat generated or reliability issues in the field if they need to run at high clocks etc.

In the end it's always a compromise no matter what product you make, design and/or release. And often there's more than one compromise possible and even desirable. It's just which will the customers like best, which function best (hence the testing from a technical point of view), and which make economical and marketing sense.
That might make sense if the R3 was a planned 2022 release.

Reactions: unfocused

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Side note, I've seen well over a dozen posts by photographers I know that are using the R3 at the Olympics.

The resolution has to leak sometime soon, right? I mean they are handing out probably hundreds of R3s to all kinds of news organizations at the moment. All it should really take is one of them to accidentally say the resolution or upload some images.

Reactions: WildlifeCan-on

AEWest

EOS RP
Jan 30, 2020
Another day, another snippet about the Canon R3. This time about the viewfinder. Can anyone recall a Canon camera so openly shown by Canon officials, and yet not formally announced with full spec sheet?

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
If speed is the main feature of the R3 then surely it will be 30mp, not 45. Anything a 45mp camera can do a 30mp can do quicker ?
They also say that they will "outperform" the competition, and with 30MP they don't come close to the A1.
Sounds like a lot of marketing fluff.

john1970

EOS R5
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
If speed is the main feature of the R3 then surely it will be 30mp, not 45. Anything a 45mp camera can do a 30mp can do quicker ?
The speed seems to all be related to the sensor readout so difficult to infer the MP count. We continue to wait. To answer a question above: I do not recall a Canon camera being shown so much by Canon officials prior to official announcement. Maybe a new marketing strategy?

Last edited:

slclick

Unsolicited & Always Free
Dec 17, 2013
They also say that they will "outperform" the competition, and with 30MP they don't come close to the A1.
Go on.... I want to hear how rez alone will lead to a body outperforming.
Keep this in mind, my experience with this sitch is based upon going from a 22mp to a 20 and having the latter outperform the higher mp count body in spades. Canon to Canon though.

Reactions: Sporgon

dpockett

I'm New Here
Feb 23, 2020
I heard from a photographer using one that it is 24mp, but I think they have all been asked to keep it secret so I don't really believe that.

Reactions: 810k

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
As a long term 5DS user I'd say that there is naff all difference in actual practical resolution between 30mp and 45.

At maximum output size IQ- yes, but how often does that happen ?
For heavy cropping IQ- yes, and that can be useful.
For me it would depend on how much that extra 15mp has reduced the cameras capability in other areas. If it doesn't compromise anything else then Canon might as well bring 45mp on.

tron

EOS R5
CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I heavy crop when I shoot birds. For everything else I find 30Mp enough. But if R3 is performance oriented as Canon mentioned it is most probable that it will be around 30Mp and not 45Mp.

john1970

EOS R5
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
It appears that Canon is now allowing photographers to post photos from the R3 without violating their NDAs.

Jeff Cable posting of R3 photos

He does mention "I can not tell you details about the focus system of the camera but it is so good!"

Just FYI now when I click on the link the blog no longer mentions the above comment and references to the R3 have been removed. I am glad I viewed the blog when I did to get a bit more perspective on the R3.

Last edited:

David_D

EOS M50
Apr 19, 2021
It appears that Canon is now allowing photographers to post photos from the R3 without violating their NDAs.

Jeff Cable posting of R3 photos

He does mention "I can not tell you details about the focus system of the camera but it is so good!"

Just FYI now when I click on the link the blog no longer mentions the above comment and references to the R3 have been removed. I am glad I viewed the blog when I did to get a bit more perspective on the R3.
It was more interesting when it had the R3 bits in. I hope he does not get into too much trouble and have it taken away from him :oops:

CanonFanBoy

Purple
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
Irving, Texas
Sony A-1 = Flagship. R3 does not = flagship

Compare apples to apples. Besides that, I am sure the R3 will outperform the A1 in some respects. It ain't all about megapixels.

rick1

I'm New Here
Sep 8, 2016
Sony A-1 = Flagship. R3 does not = flagship

Compare apples to apples. Besides that, I am sure the R3 will outperform the A1 in some respects. It ain't all about megapixels.
Yeah but if the R3 comes in at $6k, that is flagship pricing. You'll probably be able to get an A1 for that by the time this is released. If the R3 costs as much as the A1 but doesn't directly compete with the A1, it will lose

CanonFanBoy

Purple
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
Irving, Texas
Yeah but if the R3 comes in at $6k, that is flagship pricing. You'll probably be able to get an A1 for that by the time this is released. If the R3 costs as much as the A1 but doesn't directly compete with the A1, it will lose
What ifs ain't worth wasting sleep over. The fact remains that people are going to buy, most likely, within the system they are in. Since we don't know the price, I'm going to say that if the R3 is priced like a Leica, but doesn't compete with the Leica, it's going to lose. See, worthless (un)logic. Just forum fluff.