Canon EOS R3 sensor resolution to be 45mp?

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
As a long term 5DS user I'd say that there is naff all difference in actual practical resolution between 30mp and 45.

At maximum output size IQ- yes, but how often does that happen ?
For heavy cropping IQ- yes, and that can be useful.
For me it would depend on how much that extra 15mp has reduced the cameras capability in other areas. If it doesn't compromise anything else then Canon might as well bring 45mp on.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
It appears that Canon is now allowing photographers to post photos from the R3 without violating their NDAs.

Jeff Cable posting of R3 photos

He does mention "I can not tell you details about the focus system of the camera but it is so good!"

Just FYI now when I click on the link the blog no longer mentions the above comment and references to the R3 have been removed. I am glad I viewed the blog when I did to get a bit more perspective on the R3.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It appears that Canon is now allowing photographers to post photos from the R3 without violating their NDAs.

He does mention "I can not tell you details about the focus system of the camera but it is so good!"

Just FYI now when I click on the link the blog no longer mentions the above comment and references to the R3 have been removed. I am glad I viewed the blog when I did to get a bit more perspective on the R3.
It was more interesting when it had the R3 bits in. I hope he does not get into too much trouble and have it taken away from him :oops:

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
They also say that they will "outperform" the competition, and with 30MP they don't come close to the A1.
Sounds like a lot of marketing fluff.
Sony A-1 = Flagship. R3 does not = flagship

Compare apples to apples. Besides that, I am sure the R3 will outperform the A1 in some respects. It ain't all about megapixels.

Upvote 0
Sony A-1 = Flagship. R3 does not = flagship

Compare apples to apples. Besides that, I am sure the R3 will outperform the A1 in some respects. It ain't all about megapixels.
Yeah but if the R3 comes in at $6k, that is flagship pricing. You'll probably be able to get an A1 for that by the time this is released. If the R3 costs as much as the A1 but doesn't directly compete with the A1, it will lose

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Yeah but if the R3 comes in at $6k, that is flagship pricing. You'll probably be able to get an A1 for that by the time this is released. If the R3 costs as much as the A1 but doesn't directly compete with the A1, it will lose
What ifs ain't worth wasting sleep over. The fact remains that people are going to buy, most likely, within the system they are in. Since we don't know the price, I'm going to say that if the R3 is priced like a Leica, but doesn't compete with the Leica, it's going to lose. See, worthless (un)logic. Just forum fluff.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
New tech raised that roof. You just can't keep clinging to yesterdays price ceilings and imaging business models. They'll charge whatever people whom are still alive are willing to pay.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
New tech raised that roof. You just can't keep clinging to yesterdays price ceilings and imaging business models. They'll charge whatever people whom are still alive are willing to pay.
Just like I can't get hamburger for 65 cents a pound anymore. ;)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
True: but I'm not in the RF system (yet), and if I need to use my EF glass with an adapter, then the world of other manufacturers is just as open as a new canon body.

FWIW: Don't price a set of RF lenses - it's ridiculously costly.
Ok. Replace the EF glass with something else. That'll save you some $. /S Surely a Canon lens adapted to a foreign body is just as good.

I've owned the RF 28-70L, RF 24-105L, RF 50 L, and the RF 85 L. Fully aware of the costs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014

If you open up the images, they're still tagged as "EOS R3" in the file names, though :LOL:

Upvote 0
What ifs ain't worth wasting sleep over. The fact remains that people are going to buy, most likely, within the system they are in. Since we don't know the price, I'm going to say that if the R3 is priced like a Leica, but doesn't compete with the Leica, it's going to lose. See, worthless (un)logic. Just forum fluff.
People will still buy it, I will still buy it. But in no way could I say the R3 outperforms it's sony counterpart if it comes in at 30mp for $6k. The only reason I am buying it over the sony is because canon's raw compression is superior to sony's. The file sizes of my R5 raw files are smaller than my a9ii. If it weren't for that I would be buying the sony instead.

Upvote 0
Ok. Replace the EF glass with something else. That'll save you some $. /S Surely a Canon lens adapted to a foreign body is just as good.

I've owned the RF 28-70L, RF 24-105L, RF 50 L, and the RF 85 L. Fully aware of the costs.
It's actually not. Briefly while waiting for months for my pre-ordered R5, I considered dumping everything and moving to Sony. Thing is, I have a bunch of EF glass (specifically a 600 f4 II that I couldn't come close to selling for the cost of a Sony 600 F4). I researched the different Canon adapters for Sony and could not find one person who said the performance was anything but lackluster at best. Most said it was downright horrible. EF glass adapted to an R Mount body is seamless and actually performs better in most cases than on an EF DSLR. This is likely because Canon doesn't share its communication protocols and has hard wired EF protocols into the software on the R cameras.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
True: but I'm not in the RF system (yet), and if I need to use my EF glass with an adapter, then the world of other manufacturers is just as open as a new canon body.

FWIW: Don't price a set of RF lenses - it's ridiculously costly.
I was an RF holdout with my dialed in set of 8 L lenses and a 40. Then I got the RF 35 and slightly caught the bug. I will be picky and choosy (I also don't follow the camp of replacing your favorites- my favorites are fine thank you Mr. Control Ring) ....would love another pancake.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It's actually not. Briefly while waiting for months for my pre-ordered R5, I considered dumping everything and moving to Sony. Thing is, I have a bunch of EF glass (specifically a 600 f4 II that I couldn't come close to selling for the cost of a Sony 600 F4). I researched the different Canon adapters for Sony and could not find one person who said the performance was anything but lackluster at best. Most said it was downright horrible. EF glass adapted to an R Mount body is seamless and actually performs better in most cases than on an EF DSLR. This is likely because Canon doesn't share its communication protocols and has hard wired EF protocols into the software on the R cameras.
Yeah, I know it isn't. Sarcasm ;)

Upvote 0