Canon EOS R3 sensor resolution to be 45mp?

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It's actually not. Briefly while waiting for months for my pre-ordered R5, I considered dumping everything and moving to Sony. Thing is, I have a bunch of EF glass (specifically a 600 f4 II that I couldn't come close to selling for the cost of a Sony 600 F4). I researched the different Canon adapters for Sony and could not find one person who said the performance was anything but lackluster at best. Most said it was downright horrible. EF glass adapted to an R Mount body is seamless and actually performs better in most cases than on an EF DSLR. This is likely because Canon doesn't share its communication protocols and has hard wired EF protocols into the software on the R cameras.
Yeah, I know it isn't. Sarcasm ;)

john1970

EOS R5
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
All pictures that I have seen have been resized for posting on the internet and based on those sizes one cannot infer sensor resolution. September is only six weeks away!

Reactions: 1 user

EOS 4 Life

EOS R
Sep 20, 2020
The Techradar "source" is a Canon Watch article that claims 45MP and quad pixel autofocus. Canon says the R3 will have next generation dual pixel AF so we already have reason to believe that at least half of the Canon Watch information is wrong. This calls into question thr reliability of the 45MP claim from the same source.
It was the reverse.
The Canon Watch article quoted the Tech Radar one.
Tech Radar did not name their source.

EOS 4 Life

EOS R
Sep 20, 2020
R5 just isn't enough of a step to switch to RF given the investment I have in EF bodies and lenses
RF can't ever replace EF.
One of the reasons EF and PL are so popular is their long flange distances.
It makes it easy to add their mounts and adapt their lenses to almost any camera.

EOS 4 Life

EOS R
Sep 20, 2020
Japanese people have another mentality though. If their employer tells them to keep a secret, they will do that.
Nokishita has more leaks than practically any other industry.
I can't say that the sources are employees but they do seem to be mostly Japanese.

EOS 4 Life

EOS R
Sep 20, 2020
Are you suggesting they designed and built a processing pipeline, buffer, etc., capable of handling 45 MP at 30 fps, while planning to decide later whether to use 45 MP or 30 MP? Seems unlikely.
That is pretty typical.
If the 45MP version does not work out then they could fall back to the 30MP version.
It is called contingency.

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
That is pretty typical.
If the 45MP version does not work out then they could fall back to the 30MP version.
It is called contingency.
At the prototyping stage, yes. At the gearing up for production stage? No, too late.

Reactions: 4 users

emailfortom

Full time sports shooter
CR Pro
Mar 17, 2014
East Coast US
I agree and in all honesty whether the camera is 30 MP or 45 MP makes little difference to me. For me the specs that are more important are:
  • electronic shutter with adjustable fps not just 30 fps
  • buffer depth when shooting
  • spot metering link to AF point
  • AF acquisition speed
  • highISO noise and base ISO dynamic range
I would prefer 45mp but totally agree with you that the other issues are paramount. I'm getting spoiled with the R5's high res... but lets remember the 30mp is still 50% higher than the 1dxlll & idxll. Your last point vis-a-vis high ISO is spot on!

Jul 24, 2021
I heard from a photographer using one that it is 24mp, but I think they have all been asked to keep it secret so I don't really believe that.
From what I hear from a photographer in Tokyo this is correct!

The Canon R3 has a 24 mp sensor - resolution 6000x4000 px

The info is from a reliable source that I trust!
I have been following all the development news and forum talk, but this is the first time that I can contribute with something relevant (so I registered)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users