Canon EOS R3 sensor resolution to be 45mp?

Sep 20, 2020
The Techradar "source" is a Canon Watch article that claims 45MP and quad pixel autofocus. Canon says the R3 will have next generation dual pixel AF so we already have reason to believe that at least half of the Canon Watch information is wrong. This calls into question thr reliability of the 45MP claim from the same source.
It was the reverse.
The Canon Watch article quoted the Tech Radar one.
Tech Radar did not name their source.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Are you suggesting they designed and built a processing pipeline, buffer, etc., capable of handling 45 MP at 30 fps, while planning to decide later whether to use 45 MP or 30 MP? Seems unlikely.
That is pretty typical.
If the 45MP version does not work out then they could fall back to the 30MP version.
It is called contingency.

Upvote 0

emailfortom

Full time sports shooter
CR Pro
Mar 17, 2014
East Coast US
I agree and in all honesty whether the camera is 30 MP or 45 MP makes little difference to me. For me the specs that are more important are:
  • electronic shutter with adjustable fps not just 30 fps
  • buffer depth when shooting
  • spot metering link to AF point
  • AF acquisition speed
  • highISO noise and base ISO dynamic range
I would prefer 45mp but totally agree with you that the other issues are paramount. I'm getting spoiled with the R5's high res... but lets remember the 30mp is still 50% higher than the 1dxlll & idxll. Your last point vis-a-vis high ISO is spot on!

Upvote 0
I heard from a photographer using one that it is 24mp, but I think they have all been asked to keep it secret so I don't really believe that.
From what I hear from a photographer in Tokyo this is correct!

The Canon R3 has a 24 mp sensor - resolution 6000x4000 px

The info is from a reliable source that I trust!
I have been following all the development news and forum talk, but this is the first time that I can contribute with something relevant (so I registered)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
From what I hear from a photographer in Tokyo this is correct!

The Canon R3 has a 24 mp sensor - resolution 6000x4000 px

The info is from a reliable source that I trust!
I have been following all the development news and forum talk, but this is the first time that I can contribute with something relevant (so I registered)
24 MP in 3:2 would be exactly 6K

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Had we ever seen a camera out in commercial use but kept so secret before ? Seems odd; I can see the hype attraction in getting the forums to discuss it and create interest, but I wonder if there’s another strategy here ? Perhaps Canon want the internet buzzing with how capable this camera is, and publishing the shots to back this up before they let on it’s ‘only’ 24 mp. My understanding is that the fast shooting commercial world don’t want lumbering with really high mp and Canon will no doubt respect this but don’t want it trashed in the forums for being ‘behind’ the 50mp cameras before it’s even launched.

Upvote 0