Multiple mentions put the Canon EOS R3 sensor resolution “around 24mp”

Jan 29, 2011
Honestly, I was thinking about this all day.

I was just looking at the buffers of all the recent cameras on The-Digital-Picture:
View attachment 199216

Perhaps at 24 megapixels using the CF Express Type B Canon can ensure a 1000+ image buffer at full-quality, full-resolution 14-bit 30 FPS? I think there's a strong case for 30 FPS at 24 megapixels in that scenario. The A9II only has a 361 image buffer, and I honestly think the moment a former 1-series user hits a camera's buffer, they're going to wish they were using their old 1-series.

It also could mean that the camera has more processing power to ensure a super responsive, zero blackout, 240+ fps viewfinder throughout shooting 1000+ full resolution images. Reliability and responsiveness is probably the number one request from most 1-series users, and I will say that sometimes the R5 does get a little laggy when you're shooting huge 20 FPS bursts.

Add to that, 24 megapixels would be less of a drain on the battery life.

All that said, I think there's a lot left to know about this camera even if it turns out to be 24 mp. I'd be interested to see the battery life, viewfinder buffer, responsiveness, and any other new features they pack into it before I dismiss it at all.
The Italian video guy had the battery life at 3,500 real life shots.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2021
Get yourself an R5 - it beats anything for birding that Canon has ever produced, and let those who want 24 Mpx enjoy what Canon is providing for them.
My main concern is the weather sealing. My 7DMkII has coped with some very wet weather with no problems (sometimes better than me), unlike my 40D, which did not like that sort of treatment. Hence 1-series protection on the R3 sounds appealing. Where does the R5 fit on this scale?

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
As the R5 and the R6 use the same processor for example, I wonder if they could also offer two different options for the R3 without having to redesign the whole camera. My dream would be a camera with two sensors. Or a modulat one with easy interchangable sensors. We can change lenses, but not sensors. That is a problem. Imagine the possibilities. Someone could even use a 4 megapixel sensor for special usages. Some sensors could be optimized for video and after a few years you could buy an even better sensor.

Upvote 0
My main concern is the weather sealing. My 7DMkII has coped with some very wet weather with no problems (sometimes better than me), unlike my 40D, which did not like that sort of treatment. Hence 1-series protection on the R3 sounds appealing. Where does the R5 fit on this scale?
I believe the R5 weather sealing is supposed to be as good as the 5D which was supposedly better than the 7D (but less than 1D). I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I believe the R5 weather sealing is supposed to be as good as the 5D which was supposedly better than the 7D (but less than 1D). I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
It has to be very good judging from a member's experience in combination with the fact that the temperature is not easily dissipated. These are speculation of course but I would trust my R5 in rather bad weather conditions (worse than I would trust myself without an anorak or an umbrella! :D )

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Unless you are using it in the rain R5 with withstand.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The weather sealing is a step up from previous: see https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2020/09/taking-apart-the-canon-r5-mirrorless-camera/ And very early on someone posted a video from a well-known pro lauding the weather sealing.
Edit: Privatebydesign posted this: https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/t...-r5-bad-weather-capability.39961/#post-879333
In short, it is better weather sealed than a 7DII.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
For professionals shooting sports (or news) for print and internet media, why would they need more than 24 MP? Things like frame rate, autofocus, low-light performance, etc. would be much more important. It seems to me that Canon aim their high-end cameras towards these professionals, not towards amateur prosumers and enthusiasts.
For cropping reasons. Very often we have to crop the shit out of some files. 24 would be a no go for my needs. It has to be 35 ish for me to bite.
I am willing to bet Canon has either dialed down the file size or told fotogs they can not output beyond a certain size.
Most media already have self imposed rules like max 2500 on the long size etc.
Our's is 13 inches at 300 MAX output. I save full size on my laptop but only FTP a file to their specs.

Sometimes I am really down rez'ing a file, sometimes I am not close to the 13 inch cap.

Upvote 0