Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
View attachment 199188
Couple of shots of a male Tui having a song and dance that I took from inside my house on a stormy day recently, Orewa, Auckland New Zealand
Great - the Tui! I found them difficult to photo as they didn't like posing in the open.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
Beautiful shots Jeremy! was the bird in the last picture just doing a fly by or was he harassing the Kite?
Thank you! The Red-winged Blackbirds would chase it if it left its roost. Since it was over a bog, the blackbirds probably had young birds scattered all over.

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
  • Love
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I finally have something to post: Inca Tern!!! It's even not in the 'hypothetical list" of vagrants coming here (not my discovery!)!!!
There was one in March (I didn't have a time:() later reports for one on Big Island and now it's back to Oahu! Presumably the same bird! Single bird and first appearance on Hawaii!!!
I made ~ 300 shots, even after deleting the few out of focus and bunch of the same I'm with ~150 to evaluate... Here are the "best" for now!DSC_8882_DxO.jpgDSC_8900_DxO.jpgDSC_8902_DxO.jpgDSC_8968_DxO.jpgDSC_8995_DxO.jpgDSC_8997_DxO.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I finally have something to post: Inca Tern!!! It's even not in the 'hypothetical list" of vagrants coming here (not my discovery!)!!!
There was one in March (I didn't have a time:() later reports for one on Big Island and now it's back to Oahu! Presumably the same bird! Single bird and first appearance on Hawaii!!!
I made ~ 300 shots, even after deleting the few out of focus and bunch of the same I'm with ~150 to evaluate... Here are the "best" for now!
Wow - Birds with yellow smile lines and white handle-bar mustaches! Nature is amazing! Thanks, ISv.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Beautiful series, ISv.
d055.gif

Upvote 0
I made ~ 300 shots, even after deleting the few out of focus and bunch of the same I'm with ~150 to evaluate... Here are the "best" for now!
Great series ISv, must feel very special to have such an opportunity to see / experience / shoot pictures of such a rare visitor! And managing to get close enough to capture all the details :D
W.

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Great series ISv, must feel very special to have such an opportunity to see / experience / shoot pictures of such a rare visitor! And managing to get close enough to capture all the details :D
W.
Actually to take the photos was easier than getting down to the right spot: on that spot there are (always, except at very angry ocean) fisherman. And as I learned they use to give away some small/bite fish to the bird. Also when they clean the fish it goes there to see if there is something edible left. So, the bird is not afraid of people and this was the reason not to take some photos in fly (I was very disappointed to be there with the prime 500mm instead of 200-500!) - the bird was flying very close for fixed 500mm! You can't "zoom" by legs on that place - behind of you is a cliff, in front of you is also cliff but low and descending abruptly into the ocean. The waves are braking and sending splashes to you from that direction, easy to get swiped into the ocean (the way so many tourists are getting in (deadly) trouble here).
There were at least 6-7 fisherman there, all like 1/2 of my age or younger. Descending the cliff and getting back was the main challenge for my old body: today I had big trouble to get downstairs in my Institute. Going up was painful but not that difficult. My colleagues were laughing at me :mad: but I'm still very happy because of the photos and the experience with the bird:cool:! So, it feels very special and kind of painful but I wouldn't hesitate to go there again for such a bird:D!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Today I came across a Cooper's Hawk and their nest with four chicks! It is rather rare to see all chicks survive. Salute to the parents being on guard and feeding them. (R5 + RF 100-500 and RF 800 +TC 1.4X)

3+1 Musketeers:
20210726 2593-01.jpg
and their parent pretending that he has not seen us. But as soon as he saw us around he sent a message to the kids to hide!
20210726 2117-01.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Actually to take the photos was easier than getting down to the right spot: on that spot there are (always, except at very angry ocean) fisherman. And as I learned they use to give away some small/bite fish to the bird. Also when they clean the fish it goes there to see if there is something edible left. So, the bird is not afraid of people and this was the reason not to take some photos in fly (I was very disappointed to be there with the prime 500mm instead of 200-500!) - the bird was flying very close for fixed 500mm! You can't "zoom" by legs on that place - behind of you is a cliff, in front of you is also cliff but low and descending abruptly into the ocean. The waves are braking and sending splashes to you from that direction, easy to get swiped into the ocean (the way so many tourists are getting in (deadly) trouble here).
There were at least 6-7 fisherman there, all like 1/2 of my age or younger. Descending the cliff and getting back was the main challenge for my old body: today I had big trouble to get downstairs in my Institute. Going up was painful but not that difficult. My colleagues were laughing at me :mad: but I'm still very happy because of the photos and the experience with the bird:cool:! So, it feels very special and kind of painful but I wouldn't hesitate to go there again for such a bird:D!
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his photos. John 15:13 (KIng James version). I'm even older and less stable than you!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0