Firmware: Canon releases v1.4.0 for the Canon EOS R5

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Actually, for video, the needed firmware upgrade is the removal of the 30 minutes recording limit and every overheating issues.
It's unfortunate this isn't a bigger deal to more people who shoot video. I hardly shoot video. But that's partly because I only ever need a video camera I can use to record for longer periods of time and can just set it and forget it. Even if they only removed limited record times for lower resolutions/bitrate, that would stil be useful to me.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Ever since the Canon 5D Mk3 I've wanted the RATE button to apply to BOTH CARDS, but it does not.
I was hoping with video being recorded to both cards that the RATE button would also apply to both cards. I updated my firmware and the RATE button still does not apply to both cards. :(

Also, the VOICE MEMO only records to one card. I hoped it would now record to both cards but tested it also after the firmware update and VOICE MEMO still only records to one card.

Canon still doesn't have true dual-card-redundancy without fixing these very simple issues.
Sorry, I'm truly not sure if you were serious or being sarcastic/joking. But humorous either way (for the record, I'm 90% sure you were joking ;)) .

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Ever since the Canon 5D Mk3 I've wanted the RATE button to apply to BOTH CARDS, but it does not.
I was hoping with video being recorded to both cards that the RATE button would also apply to both cards. I updated my firmware and the RATE button still does not apply to both cards. :(

Also, the VOICE MEMO only records to one card. I hoped it would now record to both cards but tested it also after the firmware update and VOICE MEMO still only records to one card.

Canon still doesn't have true dual-card-redundancy without fixing these very simple issues.
However, we must be grateful that delete button works only on one card :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020

Just curious, do you know of a camera that does this? I don't know, so I'm genuinely asking...

Upvote 0

Canonite

EOS R5
Dec 19, 2013
Anyone having an issue with the 1.4 R5 firmware? I have a shoot tomorrow and I want the IBIS fix but am afraid to take out my R5 as I hate shooting with my R backup body. (I know first world problems)

(UPDATE) Updated the firmware on my R5 to 1.4 without issue. No lens, vertical grip off, Canon LP-E6NH battery, ProGrade CF Express card removed, ProGrade V90 SD card newly formatted used for the update. Hopefully, it works well tomorrow as I often will have the camera off and need to flip it on and grab a picture during a wedding, and having IBIS work on that first shot would be fantastic.
I installed the update through the Eos Utility on my R5. No formatting cards, easy as one two three...

Upvote 0
Caution 1.4.0 changes a couple of settings that you need to fix. First is Eye Detection doesn't work or only works part of the time. You have to go into the AF menu and set the AF Method to the first selection Eye + Spot (I think). Then you'll notice that Eye Detection is disabled and enable it. That seems to fix it.

Also, I noticed that 1.4.0 turns on the touch display to take a picture, which I had to turn off. I should have restored my configuration after updating the firmware but didn't think I needed it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I installed the update through the Eos Utility on my R5. No formatting cards, easy as one two three...
Firmware 1.4.0 Problems. The update turns off Eye Detection and turns on touch display to take a picture. Go into AF and set the AF Method to Eye (1st selection) then Enable Eye Detection which the update turns off.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Firmware 1.4.0 Problems. The update turns off Eye Detection and turns on touch display to take a picture. Go into AF and set the AF Method to Eye (1st selection) then Enable Eye Detection which the update turns off.
I had no issues when I updated and I loathe touch to activate shutter!!!!! So I would have noticed that PDQ:D

Upvote 0
Not for me though. I updated yesterday and both are still set to my last settings.

Upvote 0

And here's me only wanting to remap the Rate button to something useful to me.... ie to switch between EVF and rear LCD :)

Upvote 0