Show your Bird Portraits

Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Oops!
000093-2.gif
Sorry Jack. I believe I will have another coffee.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
With the name Downy_s_3682.jpg and Jack's penchant for Downy Woodpeckers, it's hardly one for Sherlock Holmes.
Sorry Alan, there is no prize but you came through with flying colours as they say. I thought it was interesting how the body motion was fairly well defined.

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The 20fps of the R5 does open up the possibility of gifs that flesh out stills. As for many of us, we view only on our computer, they take up little space and are little more difficult to handle than a still. Yesterday, I saw a couple of Mallards come together and bob their heads up and down for a few seconds. Moments later, they were at it. A bit late in the year for a brood.

Mallard_Duck_Courting.gifMallards_Mating.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I've been watching Little Grebe Chicks grow up for the past couple of months. They have now learned to fish for themselves. It's quite well shown by gifs.

View attachment 200022View attachment 200024
I actually prefer the still: nice photo of the Three-spined stickleback (well, despite as a background the Little Grebe is also very nice;)!)!

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Click, you disappoint me... a little only - see the little dab of red. Guess we'll have to call in ISv for a positive ID. :)>)

Jack
OK, you have it - an Extraterrestrial Woodpecker (IDed by that "little dab of red") and the very informative rest of the photo!!!)!
I was going to say something like Alan did but he was faster (damn it - time difference!)!
On other hand - looks interesting: it's a worth of opening new topic - Like "Birds in disguise". You just post a photo of bird underexposed let's say 5-6 stops (depends on the available light) and ask "What was that":)! Could you share what was your speed at that time - I'm really curious -it may offer new horizons for an abstract/artistic shooting:ROFLMAO:!
And yes - I understand the joke and like it - a lot!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
OK, you have it - an Extraterrestrial Woodpecker (IDed by that "little dab of red") and the very informative rest of the photo!!!)!
I was going to say something like Alan did but he was faster (damn it - time difference!)!
On other hand - looks interesting: it's a worth of opening new topic - Like "Birds in disguise". You just post a photo of bird underexposed let's say 5-6 stops (depends on the available light) and ask "What was that":)! Could you share what was your speed at that time - I'm really curious -it may offer new horizons for an abstract/artistic shooting:ROFLMAO:!
And yes - I understand the joke and like it - a lot!
1/20 @800mm Because it's kind of like a multiple exposure I had to up the contrast etc. to make it a little more presentable. ;)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Jack - from tomorrow I may start shooting 1/20! One day I may get similar results (depends on the bird's collaboration!):p!
You might say there is a "little" luck involved. And good lighting is very helpful. It seems to me the Downy did a backward fly and then forward and I don't know how other birds might present - better or worse. I'll be watching for your results. :)

Jack

Upvote 0