Show your Bird Portraits

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
Another Killdeer. The water level in the river is very low this year. The log at the back of the bird is normally submerged.
View attachment 199917
A nice shot of the Killdeer. I seem to find them when I’m cycling near my wife’s workplace. No camera with me.

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I took out the DSLR and 500 prime this afternoon to remind myself what it's like! Just my luck, there was a beautiful young heron in the stream by the road who was oblivious of my presence. But, because it was so large I had to zoom back with my feet and nearly got run over. I use 500mm on the 100-500mm 95% of the time, but it's worth the zoom for that remaining 5%. Still, the old gear delivered the goods.

View attachment 199932
If I was a Nikon fan-boy (from the extremist wing:)) I would say this is the best from your later posts (even if it's not the case!).
Jocks aside - nice photo, I like the background too!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I think these are Baird's Sandpipers. And could this be a Green-winged Teal? ;) Actually there is more blue than green. :(

JackView attachment 199940View attachment 199941
Jack, I'm with you with the Baird's Sandpiper but the duck is really hard: the common sense is saying "Green winged" (no idea where did you see "more blue" - I see green on my monitor). You may have in Canada vagrant Eurasian Teal. The main problem for me is that pretty white wing bar (!!! could be just overexposure of the highlights and it seems pretty much the case!!!): with the Green-winged it should have some at least pinkish colors if not reddish... Most probably you are right but it make sense to play with the highlights (depends on the degree of the overexposure and the dynamic range of your sensor) - if you see even slight pink I would suggest Green-winged (just because it's more probable for Canada, not because the Eurasian is totally forbidden to have some pink there but not red). In case of totally overexposed highlights you still will see white and the case is unsolvable:(!
Oh and I have no idea why the lesser and the median covers look so grayish-white on your photo? I'm not very interested in ducks (except the Thanksgiving when they are my favorites - much more flavor than the turkey ;))!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Jack, I'm with you with the Baird's Sandpiper but the duck is really hard: the common sense is saying "Green winged" (no idea where did you see "more blue" - I see green on my monitor). You may have in Canada vagrant Eurasian Teal. The main problem for me is that pretty white wing bar (!!! could be just overexposure of the highlights and it seems pretty much the case!!!): with the Green-winged it should have some at least pinkish colors if not reddish... Most probably you are right but it make sense to play with the highlights (depends on the degree of the overexposure and the dynamic range of your sensor) - if you see even slight pink I would suggest Green-winged (just because it's more probable for Canada, not because the Eurasian is totally forbidden to have some pink there but not red). In case of totally overexposed highlights you still will see white and the case is unsolvable:(!
Oh and I have no idea why the lesser and the median covers look so grayish-white on your photo? I'm not very interested in ducks (except the Thanksgiving when they are my favorites - much more flavor than the turkey ;))!
Thanks for this. Up here in the great north :) of central Alberta we have significant numbers of both birds but from my personal observations there are more Blue-winged Teals. You are correct about overexposure of the wing - I went back to the raw and dropped exposure a stop and forced the blue to the maximum and that patch is clearly a light blue, not white, followed by white which I think suggests a Blue-winged Teal.

Few would care. ;) I'm glad about the Baird's becasue that's a new one for me and I struggled with it.

JackBaird's Sandpiper_s_3578.JPG

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks for this. Up here in the great north :) of central Alberta we have significant numbers of both birds but from my personal observations there are more Blue-winged Teals. You are correct about overexposure of the wing - I went back to the raw and dropped exposure a stop and forced the blue to the maximum and that patch is clearly a light blue, not white, followed by white which I think suggests a Blue-winged Teal.

Few would care. ;) I'm glad about the Baird's becasue that's a new one for me and I struggled with it.

JackView attachment 199943
Count me in with the few - well done!

Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
I took out the DSLR and 500 prime this afternoon to remind myself what it's like! Just my luck, there was a beautiful young heron in the stream by the road who was oblivious of my presence. But, because it was so large I had to zoom back with my feet and nearly got run over. I use 500mm on the 100-500mm 95% of the time, but it's worth the zoom for that remaining 5%. Still, the old gear delivered the goods.

View attachment 199932
Beautiful!

Upvote 0

JackView attachment 199943
I agree Jack , Blue-winged Teal . Nice shot

Upvote 0