What’s next for the Canon Cinema EOS line

MythPlayer

EOS R6 Mark Ⅱ
Sep 7, 2021
The Sumire 14mm lens is T3.1.

The T1.5 might be a typo. Then again, maybe cine lenses are expensive enough for Canon to make a profitable 14mm f/1.4, while stills lenses aren't.
canon cinema prime lens have no 18mm\100mm lens,And 135mm lens is T2.2
Maybe there is "CN-E L" lens line for RF-mount

Upvote 0
Maybe chip shortages? C50 is the only Canon I would have any interest in. C300/500 out of my price range for sure. And the mirrorless still cameras ... not my thing.
thats kind of what im thinking. I'm really only interested in the c50 or a c200mkii…otherwise, I'll probably just pick up another c70. Canon's mirrorless stills cams aren't my thing either, for video at least. We love them for photo, but I want to stick to the cinema line for video.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
trying to to tie a follow focus motor to a ultrasonic rangefinder has been done with varying degress of sucess. maybe good enough for T2.8 ot 4.0 with S35mm film, but not good enough for 4K+ and wide open. There is zero reason we can't have focus motors in cine lenses. Sure they would have to be a lot bigger to move the mass, take some power, but so what. those are pretty simple engineering problems to solve.

the real problem, which even a millenial at a show a few weeks ago gave me gave me was " we use manual focus in film" coppng a serious attitude I must be some rube after I said when are you going to put AF focus motors inside this well know cinelens brand. She didn't even stop to realize i've been literally shooting longer than she's been alive. when a I'm not even that old DP could see value in AF this harkens to perception and attitude rather than practical application. Remember film vs digital arguements ? especially the ones about how digital could never replace film ? um, ya right, we know how that turned out and AF in cine lenses is exactly the same arguement and mentality all over again. can we skip the middle part and just get AF motors in cine lenses and be done with it ? or at least external FF motors designed to do that job and talk with the camera bodies via generic standard protocol so everybody's gear plays together like MIDI ? sigh !

---

That's just age talking! In my case I have doing Cinematography/Camera-Ops since 1987 usually with Betacam SP, ArriFlex-35/ArriFlex-65 FILM cameras and Hi-Def prototypes of 1125 line Saticon HD tube cameras and the first progressive scan 1080p HD DigiBetas so I understand your irritation at "Newbies". I should note we were ALL newbies once who thought we KNEW EVERYTHING and YOU (i.e. the OLD FOGIE!) knows NOTHING !!!

In terms of autofocus, modern GLASS lens of superb-quality are DAMN HEAVY and it will take us moving to scientific-grade All-Acrylic lenses in order to reduce the weight enough that putting high-end autofocus becomes monetarily practical.

We CAN do full autofocus on a T1.5 of Leica/Leitz Summicron-C lens BUT at what outrageous cost! It's already $260,000 for a full set of these:

How far do we have to go to reduce the weight enough at a reasonable cost on heavy Glass lenses?

WE MUST GO high-refractive-index all-Acrylic lens elements in order to get practical AND COST EFFECTIVE auto-everything cinema lenses and pro-level still photo lenses!

if you want to find out THE FUTURE OF IMAGING, then read the following forum posts and attached documents.
It's a taste of what is to come! All this NEW technology, our parent Aerospace company has NOW MADE FULLY OPEN SOURCE and FREE TO USE, so it it's up to Canon, Sony, Fuji, Blackmagic, GoPro, Pentax, Olympus, etc. to use OUR FREE TECHNOLOGY to build into their cameras.

2K/4K/8K/16K+ Multi-Spectral Sensor System and Multi-Sensor rotating and linear image sensor block:
Fully free and open source under GPL-3 licence terms:

The test cameras are in prototype stage and will be outlined here on CanonRumors.

The High Refractive-Index all-Acrylic lens prototype sets which have auto-focus ability
AND which are T/0.9 are also in prototype stages and will be open sourced too!

AND for the win, we've got short-lens-barrel up-to-9600mm equivalent ZOOM LENSES too
that have active optically-based AND software-based REAL-TIME heat-shimmer and atmospheric
distortion removal technology which will ALL be fully free and open source under GPL-3 licence terms!!!

So YES!, you did hear it here FIRST!

V

• Wow
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
thats kind of what im thinking. I'm really only interested in the c50 or a c200mkii…otherwise, I'll probably just pick up another c70. Canon's mirrorless stills cams aren't my thing either, for video at least. We love them for photo, but I want to stick to the cinema line for video.
What do you find lacking in Canon's mirrorless still cameras for video, please?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
That's just age talking! In my case ...you did hear it here FIRST!
Thank you Harry! I have been a bit depressed because I see little on the horizon in the next year or so that is likely to be of interest to many of the people on this forum, which will in turn translate into redundant posts on the same two to three topics by they same four or five self-appointed experts.

I used to be annoyed by your posts, always promising some super camera that transcends physics. But, I've come to appreciate the particular brand of insanity that you so ably represent. It's almost an art form and I actually do enjoy following your antics. I hope you will provide a little sunshine over the coming dark months.

Upvote 0
Thank you Harry! I have been a bit depressed because I see little on the horizon in the next year or so that is likely to be of interest to many of the people on this forum, which will in turn translate into redundant posts on the same two to three topics by they same four or five self-appointed experts.

I used to be annoyed by your posts, always promising some super camera that transcends physics. But, I've come to appreciate the particular brand of insanity that you so ably represent. It's almost an art form and I actually do enjoy following your antics. I hope you will provide a little sunshine over the coming dark months.
Due to the current pandemic, I can QUITE ASSURE YOU that I am even MORE INSANE than ever before!

All that calcium uptake inhibition on CA2+ receptors has REALLY affected my brain and my sensibility so THAT means more crazy good stuff for you to read!

NOW THEN ... if you read MORE of my PDF and JPEG imagery, you will find my insanity has a VERY pointed end-game which is to create a legally defensible MAKE PRIOR ART declaration that the Aerospace concern that is our parent company, can TRULY ENSURE that no shenanigans can be envisioned or completed by the BIG electronics and optics companies (including Canon, Sony and Fuji!) to stop or slow down progress in modern-day imaging systems!

The super-camera is not only SUPER but it actually EXISTS! So we will announce it in the next few weeks along with the all-Acrylic T0.9 prime lenses and all the short-barrel super-zoom lenses we have available!

The MUCH LARGER INNOVATION though, is that MASSIVE 575 TeraFLOPs of computing horsepower contained within our DESIGNED BY CANADIANS (in a secret offshore location!) BUT MANUFACTURED IN CANADA 128-bits Wide combined 60 GHz clock speed Fully ITAR-free GaAs CPU/GPU/DSP that I helped design the GPU portion of (i.e. accelerated 2D-XY/3D-ZYZ SOBEL/CANNY edge detection hardware and Wu-based Line and Curve draw algorithms with environment-aware alpha channel, drop shadows and glows!) The Tape-Out layout of the Superchip we have NO PROBLEM WITH completely Free and Open Sourcing under GPL-3 licence terms!

THAT innovation could actually CAUSE the END of Intel, AMD, ARM, Qualcomm and IBM !!!

We have MORE THAN TWO BILLION of those superchips currently stocked in our secretive and very-hidden Vancouver, Canada warehouse and we could obliterate the ENTIRE processor chip market IN MERE DAYS by doing a $222 USD full online-retail release (YES! You saw that correctly --- 575 TeraFLOPS at 128 bits wide for TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY TWO U.S. DOLLARS !!!!!) --- Our manufacturing cost is almost nothing due to complete automation using Multi-Electron-Beam Etching and A.I.-based visual and electrical Quality Assurance of EVERY chip, so we are STILL making enormous bank!

AND AFTER ALL THAT .... We STILL have that super-fancy 148,000 lbs (67,131 kg) Dark Black Triangle hovering silently in our YVR hangar which we can ALSO show and release to the public! It's power production system and GWASER (Gravity Wave Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation)-based propulsion system WILL KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF !!!!

We'll just hover it silently over English Bay for a few hours and then SHOOT IT PAST the ISS way on up to GeoSync orbit in a mere 5.5 seconds FLAT with NO INJURY to our crew and let YOU THE PEOPLE WATCH some LIVE-VIEW 128k by 128k imagery from 22,000 miles up as we distribute FREE AND OPEN SOURCE UNDER GPL-3 LICENCE TERMS all of the POWER PRODUCTION AND PROPULSION DESIGNS and MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGIES world-wide !!! I think THAT will finally OBLITERATE the Oil and Gas industry 10x over!

AND HECK YEAH !!!! You have SEEN the rotating and linear-slide multi-image-sensor block designs and the multi-spectral, band-specific-photosite image sensing system HERE on this website --- We very much CAN do what we say because we actually DO HAVE all that OTHER TECHNOLOGY READY for worldwide disclosure and distribution!

AND YES! You heard it here FIRST!

V

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
This makes me ask: Will these cinema lenses look better, or significantly better, than the autofocus RF lenses in a documentary situation? :)

Cinema lenses will always look better than stills lenses if you know what to look for, but mainly, it's about features and handling.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
You know, this is actually funny.
Here is a post 100% about video features and in three days there are 50 comments.
When the R5 came out you’d see a new article about it and 300 comments following, quite a few of them complaining about variouts video features some folks didn’t like…What gives ?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
You know, this is actually funny.
Here is a post 100% about video features and in three days there are 50 comments.
When the R5 came out you’d see a new article about it and 300 comments following, quite a few of them complaining about variouts video features some folks didn’t like…What gives ?
The Cinema EOS line is targeted at professional video production. Aside from @sanj there are almost no professional video people on this forum at the level that requires the Cinema EOS line. Most of the people on this forum are either hybrid shooters (both video and stills) or stills only shooters. Thus, there is not much interest among most forum participants in the Cinema EOS line.

Upvote 0
What do you find lacking in Canon's mirrorless still cameras for video, please?
For starters, simple things like internal ND’s, XLR audio inputs (with phantom power), and recording limits. And don’t get me started with the overheating issues. They’re great cameras for photo, which is why we have them, but they fall short for our needs in the video department.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Cinema lenses will always look better than stills lenses if you know what to look for, but mainly, it's about features and handling.
I understand. I conclude that for most documentary work the RF lenses will work fine. I can reduce the expense of a focus puller from the budget and that will be an important factor. The RF 50/85 1.2 work great. I will wait for the 25/35 1.2.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
For starters, simple things like internal ND’s, XLR audio inputs (with phantom power), and recording limits. And don’t get me started with the overheating issues. They’re great cameras for photo, which is why we have them, but they fall short for our needs in the video department.
I was mainly interested in IQ issues. The simple things you mention above, do not mean much to me personally. :)

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020

Canon Cinema EOS C700DR has my interest. But only if the body is right. The old body was big and ugly. The c300/500 body isn't pro in my mind. I want a Box like Alexa Mini or red. I want Raw + Prores + DNX in ALL frame rates unlike the c700. Canon I know you can do it!!​

The entire point of the C700 was that components can be upgraded without replacing the entire thing.
Big and ugly makes sense for what it is.
RED did find a way to be modular while still being small so maybe Canon can adopt some of that.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Not at all. Cinema lenses are manual focus lenses with extremely long focus throws allowing for precision focus adjustments with minimal focus breathing. Usually the are operated with a follow focus and an assistant cameraman for focus (1st AC). There are motorized follow focus wheels but to my knowledge no one has devised a way to tap into the autofocus information to drive these motors using the touch screen tap to focus function. That however would be sweeeeeeet.
Canon has cinema lenses with autofocus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0