What’s next for the Canon Cinema EOS line

Sep 20, 2020
My expectation is the C100 and 200 fall out of the line up. No one wants to pay cinema camera prices for an HD camera these days especially when DSLRs are 8K and you can get a 12K Ursa for about the price of what a new C-100 would cost. Ya ya ya some one will pipe up about all they need is a 640x480 B&W camera but an HD only camera is really niche unless it does 1500 fps or has a DR of 20 stops.
Who says a new C100 camera has to be Full HD and we have no idea what would be in a C200 Mark II.
A C200 II would have to sit between the C70 and the C300 III.
There is not a huge feature gap but there is a large price gap between the two.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Since these cameras are RF mount and have dual pixel focus, I could use my RF lenses and get 'tap' focus? I am considering these cameras for minimum crew documentaries. For my features, commercials etc I would use Alexa or Red. Thx.
Right now they are hypothetical.
I am sure that would all be demonstrated for us.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
This makes me ask: Will these cinema lenses look better, or significantly better, than the autofocus RF lenses in a documentary situation? :)
Canon makes a lot of compromises with photo lenses for lightness that they do not have to make with cine lenses.
*There are some Canon cine lenses that are converted photo lenses.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
The Sumire 14mm lens is T3.1.

The T1.5 might be a typo. Then again, maybe cine lenses are expensive enough for Canon to make a profitable 14mm f/1.4, while stills lenses aren't.
Was it really necessary for Canon to list out the focal lengths and the T-stops?
The name pretty much spells it out.
CN-E14mm T3.1 FP X

Upvote 0
I was mainly interested in IQ issues. The simple things you mention above, do not mean much to me personally. :)
Ah, well I have no gripes with the Image Quality in those camera. That paired with Canon color science is great. But as a primarily run and gun videographer, those "simple" things are pretty important to me.

Upvote 0
---

That's just age talking! In my case I have doing Cinematography/Camera-Ops since 1987 usually with Betacam SP, ArriFlex-35/ArriFlex-65 FILM cameras and Hi-Def prototypes of 1125 line Saticon HD tube cameras and the first progressive scan 1080p HD DigiBetas so I understand your irritation at "Newbies". I should note we were ALL newbies once who thought we KNEW EVERYTHING and YOU (i.e. the OLD FOGIE!) knows NOTHING !!!

In terms of autofocus, modern GLASS lens of superb-quality are DAMN HEAVY and it will take us moving to scientific-grade All-Acrylic lenses in order to reduce the weight enough that putting high-end autofocus becomes monetarily practical.

We CAN do full autofocus on a T1.5 of Leica/Leitz Summicron-C lens BUT at what outrageous cost! It's already $260,000 for a full set of these:

How far do we have to go to reduce the weight enough at a reasonable cost on heavy Glass lenses?

WE MUST GO high-refractive-index all-Acrylic lens elements in order to get practical AND COST EFFECTIVE auto-everything cinema lenses and pro-level still photo lenses!

if you want to find out THE FUTURE OF IMAGING, then read the following forum posts and attached documents.
It's a taste of what is to come! All this NEW technology, our parent Aerospace company has NOW MADE FULLY OPEN SOURCE and FREE TO USE, so it it's up to Canon, Sony, Fuji, Blackmagic, GoPro, Pentax, Olympus, etc. to use OUR FREE TECHNOLOGY to build into their cameras.

2K/4K/8K/16K+ Multi-Spectral Sensor System and Multi-Sensor rotating and linear image sensor block:
Fully free and open source under GPL-3 licence terms:

The test cameras are in prototype stage and will be outlined here on CanonRumors.

The High Refractive-Index all-Acrylic lens prototype sets which have auto-focus ability
AND which are T/0.9 are also in prototype stages and will be open sourced too!

AND for the win, we've got short-lens-barrel up-to-9600mm equivalent ZOOM LENSES too
that have active optically-based AND software-based REAL-TIME heat-shimmer and atmospheric
distortion removal technology which will ALL be fully free and open source under GPL-3 licence terms!!!

So YES!, you did hear it here FIRST!

V
Hi HarryFilm,
I was reading your post without reading your name and after some sentences I though this is a HarryFilm-style post and it was you. Nice to heare from you! Quite some time you were away. Interesting forum link with interesting documents.
Where do you get all this informations?
I honestly thought you where a sports photographer, but after reading your post about "dendrite-growth" in Lithium Ion I'm not so sure anymore.

Upvote 0
Hi HarryFilm,
I was reading your post without reading your name and after some sentences I though this is a HarryFilm-style post and it was you. Nice to heare from you! Quite some time you were away. Interesting forum link with interesting documents.
Where do you get all this informations?
I honestly thought you where a sports photographer, but after reading your post about "dendrite-growth" in Lithium Ion I'm not so sure anymore.
Actually, I have TWO "edumacations" -- an actual Diploma in Broadcast Television Operations (Graphics Production) from SAIT (Southern Alberta Institute of Technology) and the other is various coursework in Computer Science (Specialty: Encryption and 3D Computer Graphics) AND "some" structural and mechanical engineering AND Oil and Gas Reservoir modelling and Directional Drilling Systems coding which I have used all over the place!

Due to a personal connection to one of the owners of a Canadian Aerospace company, I now have access to SIGNIFICANT technical resources and scientific personnel in exchange for ongoing computer systems design and administration tasks on my part.

The documents you have seen are INTENTIONALLY created in the manner as you see them in order to create a legally defensible trail of account and custody AND a legally defensible and very public "Prior Art" library against patents by large corporations on NEW imaging technology!

CanonRumors is my goto place for public announcements on all the new imaging tech you will be seeing soon!

Wait until you see the NEW camera announcements and the NEW high-refractive index all-Acrylic lenses announcements --- Those are biggies coming in the next few weeks! We may actually go into RETAIL production on the OPEN SOURCE lens designs since they are so good. The OPEN SOURCE camera design itself is to be used and modded by a very major corporate entity which you all know and love! (NOT Canon, Sony or Fuji!)

After that, we will introduce other imaging systems to brighten your rumor-mill day!

And FINALLY, our all-Canadian-designed-and-built version of the TR-3b Astra/Locust/Mares Canyon/Whatever-They-Call-it-Black-Budget-Program will be released as soon as we have certain patentable products in place.

AND YES! You heard it here FIRST!

Sooooooo, get ready for MORE INSANITY from HarryFilm!

P.S. I looooove the smell of rumours in the morning !!!!!!!

P.S.2. I also do ACTUAL Corporate Video Cinematography and Camera Work as part of my day job!

I currently use the production-ready version of our custom-in-house-built "Big Boss" 50.3 Megapixels at 120 fps 70mm Medium Format Sensor running at 16-bits RAW per RGBA channel Monster Machine as my main camera! It's about the size and weight of an Arriflex-65! AND YES I have used it on a Steadicam Rig! -- It's hard but doable because I am so big!

V

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Canon desperately needs a cinema camera around the $6,000 - $7000 price range that isn't the C70. That horrible body design on the C70 is the only reason I jumped ship to the Sony FX6 after being with Canon since the 5DMark II through the C200. If they'd come out with a camera with the same specs as the C70 that didn't have that stupid form factor and camera balance, I'd gladly switch back, but sadly it looks like they've just got high end Cinema cameras on the horizon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

clearlyed

R5, R5c, C200, c500 and loads of glass
Apr 20, 2020
incolorstudios.com
Canon desperately needs a cinema camera around the $6,000 - $7000 price range that isn't the C70. That horrible body design on the C70 is the only reason I jumped ship to the Sony FX6 after being with Canon since the 5DMark II through the C200. If they'd come out with a camera with the same specs as the C70 that didn't have that stupid form factor and camera balance, I'd gladly switch back, but sadly it looks like they've just got high end Cinema cameras on the horizon.
I couldn't agree more. I am literally waiting to purchase RF cinema cameras from Canon. I have money waiting in the bank. But clients are starting to expect more. If there is nothing by the end of the year I will be selling everything canon (I have built up RRF glass ready) and move to Sony. Its just too simple. I can buy 3 FX6's tomorrow and all the glass I need. I prefer canon and would like to use canon cameras but my gear needs updating and canon has nothing to offer right now. The C70 is not an option. Moving forward the industry is changing to full frame so investing in a a number of C70s is just like buying something that is already not what clients are asking for.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I couldn't agree more. I am literally waiting to purchase RF cinema cameras from Canon. I have money waiting in the bank. But clients are starting to expect more. If there is nothing by the end of the year I will be selling everything canon (I have built up RRF glass ready) and move to Sony. Its just too simple. I can buy 3 FX6's tomorrow and all the glass I need. I prefer canon and would like to use canon cameras but my gear needs updating and canon has nothing to offer right now. The C70 is not an option. Moving forward the industry is changing to full frame so investing in a a number of C70s is just like buying something that is already not what clients are asking for.
Why does it need to be RF?

Upvote 0

clearlyed

R5, R5c, C200, c500 and loads of glass
Apr 20, 2020
incolorstudios.com
Why does it need to be RF?
Because that’s where they are putting all their energy with glass. I can adapt ef to ef by not the other way. So if I buy ef body then i am locked into tonsuring lenses that will not be updating so any improvements will completely be lost. When they bring out an improved set of cone lenses that will be RF so what’s the point in buying an ef body. Cine bodies can be work horses for years and years so as canon is going through a change it will be very wise to buy the new mount.

Upvote 0