Behind The Shot interviews Jeff Cable, to talk about using the EOS R3 in the real world

I'm a profesional sport photographer (soccer) in Spain, and in the last two Champions League matches I ask to the fat cat about R3, nobody knows, nobody test it, and for the price of a R3 you can buy a R5 and a R6, the R5 for the Canon EF 400mm F2.8 whit the adapter (who buys the same 400 for 12 grands...) and crop, and the R6 whit the Canon RF 70-200 F2.8, that's the end of the history.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I quite agree - many people probably don’t need high MP, and simply want the “latest and greatest” piece of kit, in the belief that it will magically improve their photography.

My point was that we all have different needs, and that when choosing kit we should avoid being misled by advertising hype, and instead carefully analyse what we actually *need* and can afford for our own particular subject types and styles of operation.

It’s probably true that most photographers need no more than 15-20MP. But there are many including myself who genuinely need high MP for at least some of our work. I could easily get away with 20MP for 90% of my work, but I need higher resolution for the other 10%.

Another way of looking at it is that it’s better to have too much than too little, both in terms of megapixels and overall specification. We might be getting absolutely satisfactory photographs with a relatively low res machine, but it’s good to have something “in reserve” for those occasions when more is needed.

The only issue I have with high MP cameras, as Jeff Cable also pointed out, is that it would be extremely useful if the user could select different FF resolutions on any particular camera. A camera that could switch between 24, 48 and 96 MP would be rather nice.

You deal with the minor point I was gonna raise in response to your penultimate paragraph in the final one - having it in reserve isn't cost free. Having to shoot at higher-than-required resolution all the time for a minority of shots that benefit isn't cost-free. But having the option to shoot at different resolutions would solve that problem. Anyhow it's beside the point of this thread, but most of the resolution-based criticism of the R3 seems to pretrnd the R5 doesn't already exist. They're not equal but it's not as if Canon isn't giving us options.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
My camera shoots 26.2MP. I laugh with disdain at cameras that take only a puny 24MP. I would have contempt even if it shot a whole 26.0MP.
:)
The funny thing is how people will spin things. Watching some a74 videos and they never mention how 24 mp isn't enough and when comparing images between a73 and a74, they're hardpressed to tell the difference except when they pixel peep. And in reviews of the a73 they talk about how phenomenal the af was and never misses, but in the a74 videos, they say how hit and miss the af was on the a73... The hilarity came when a couple reviews talked about how the a74 only got like 5fps in uncompressed raw but that was more than enough speed. But these are the same reviewers that said the eos r 5fps was so slow

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

snapshot

5d2,5d4,r5
CR Pro
Jul 24, 2020
This is the kind of stuff that drives me insane. Rather than simply test it for himself with a camera he personally owns he relies on the uneducated opinions of people who's photos he likes but who doesn't own the camera or even the brand! I was watching a Vannessa Joy video comparing the R5 and R3 and she was convinced the R3 high iso performance was 'better' because she looked at both images at 200% not the same size!

Stupid influencers....
I thought her video showed 2 interesting things: 1. the white balance differs from r5 (maybe more pleasing???) 2. The r3 rendering of the chandeliers in the venue with the glass ceiling was clearly more sensitive than the r5, even though the sky looked very similar in exposure, maybe there are different gamma curves in the r3 (or is the sensitivity really better?).

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
14 minutes for to choose from 2700 images with downloading, retouching, and sending the files??!! That is insane, only a champ pro can do that. Could an AI system perform remotely close to that currently?
It’s called practice and knowing your field. There is nothing insane about it. He doesn’t wear a cape does he?

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
The funny thing is how people will spin things. Watching some a74 videos and they never mention how 24 mp isn't enough and when comparing images between a73 and a74, they're hardpressed to tell the difference except when they pixel peep. And in reviews of the a73 they talk about how phenomenal the af was and never misses, but in the a74 videos, they say how hit and miss the af was on the a73... The hilarity came when a couple reviews talked about how the a74 only got like 5fps in uncompressed raw but that was more than enough speed. But these are the same reviewers that said the eos r 5fps was so slow
It's the same tribalism that's tearing at so many modern communities today. No matter what my guys do, I will support them, and no matter the other guys do, I will denigrate and vilify them. The company I identify with will solve all your problems if you'd only have an open mind- and your guys are trying to ruin the world and steal your money if you'd only open your eyes.

Why people can't just enjoy photography and be happy that there are is lots of cool, new technology to explore is beyond me. Especially since, if you can't produce great photos using DSLRs from a decade ago, your photos are still going to be lousy with the latest $5,000 flagship.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Aah-ha - is that what the 'rate' button is meant to be used for? :):)
Well, I for one would love if the Rate button could be remapped to something remotely useful eg manually switching between EFV and rear screen. I have to use MF-n which is hard to reach with gloves on underwater whereas left thumb would be simple. I can't imagine spending good bottom time to rate shots underwater.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Well, I for one would love if it could be remapped to something remotely useful eg manually switching between EFV and rear screen. I have to use MF-n which is hard to reach with gloves on underwater whereas left thumb would be simple. I can't imagine sending time to rate shots underwater.
Should underwater use drive features? I would think using a housing is a matter of making the most of trade offs. It must be far less than 1% of consumer usage. Even something like macro is pretty uncommon in the big scheme of things and I would not expect it to be in the forefront of body design.

Upvote 0
Should underwater use drive features? I would think using a housing is a matter of making the most of trade offs. It must be far less than 1% of consumer usage. Even something like macro is pretty uncommon in the big scheme of things and I would not expect it to be in the forefront of body design.
Underwater shooting is definitely a niche segment but I don't think that I am the only one who would like the option to remap the Rate button for other use cases. The housing - by definition - covers the face sensor so the R5 thinks that the EVF needs to be on the whole time.
Not sure why it isn't possible as other buttons can be remapped easily.
It is good that there is a work-around, albeit an ergonomically cumbersome option.

A different story for the joystick which is tricky to operate through a housing from an engineering perspective. The very expensive housings can do it but the (relatively) cheaper ones don't allow it (and DOF preview button etc). The Ikelite basic housing is USD1700 plus handle, vacuum, ports, dome, strobes, TTL, arms, cords, taxes, freight etc. The Nauticam equivalent is USD4700 but it is an engineering beast!

Upvote 0
I'm a profesional sport photographer (soccer) in Spain, and in the last two Champions League matches I ask to the fat cat about R3, nobody knows, nobody test it, and for the price of a R3 you can buy a R5 and a R6, the R5 for the Canon EF 400mm F2.8 whit the adapter (who buys the same 400 for 12 grands...) and crop, and the R6 whit the Canon RF 70-200 F2.8, that's the end of the history.
And concerning the R5, would you then shoot electronic shutter or mechanical?

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
And concerning the R5, would you then shoot electronic shutter or mechanical?
It’s highly dependent on the sport you’re shooting and what kind of photos you’re capturing. I shoot Motorsports and it works incredibly well for me until it doesn’t. LOL I can use it for freezing action like a car launching and even capturing motion blur slower shutter speed images. However, if I’m shooting panning or shots with quick whips, the distortion of vertical lines can become distracting so I will shoot FCES or Mechanical for those shots.

Ball sports, the R5’s electronic shutter is a NO GO. The read out speed is too slow to keep the shape of the ball.

Upvote 0
It’s highly dependent on the sport you’re shooting and what kind of photos you’re capturing. I shoot Motorsports and it works incredibly well for me until it doesn’t. LOL I can use it for freezing action like a car launching and even capturing motion blur slower shutter speed images. However, if I’m shooting panning or shots with quick whips, the distortion of vertical lines can become distracting so I will shoot FCES or Mechanical for those shots.

Ball sports, the R5’s electronic shutter is a NO GO. The read out speed is too slow to keep the shape of the ball.
That's the point. I shoot a lot of soccer and I can't upload photos to clients with oval balls. So I have to use my 1DX bodies for that. But then I really miss the eye auto focus etc.

Upvote 0
EFCS doesn't have this effect though. Fully electronic does. EFCS is actually involving the mechanical shutter.

Is there a DR penalty for using EFCS? I have been trying to find the answer to that but I guess I have not done a good job searching lol. I like the added speed of EFCS on my R5 but need the DR for shooting stormy skies that have some very bright areas. I see the graph on Photon to Photos, but does R5 (ES) mean electronic shutter or EFCS?

Upvote 0