Jeff Cable talks about what it’s like to shoot with the Canon EOS R3 as a pro

Jul 12, 2014
Not correct. Canon took the R3 back off him as soon as he finished at the Olympics. He did not have the option to take the R3 with him to Africa.

I've been a wildlife photographer for almost 40 years, the last time I was this excited about a new pre-order was the 1Diii with 10 MP. Great camera once Canon sorted the focussing issues out.
oops Emyr. My bad. Thanks for the correction. Jeff only expressed his appreciation of using a camera/sensor with more resolution, while in Africa, post Olympics. Hope you get a R3 soon!

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
Well, wildlife shooters wanting to run their new $13,000 lenses will want the R3. Otherwise the lenses aren't focusing as fast as they are capable off.
R5 tracking is very good and it allows a healthy crop. The jury is still out whether the R3 provides a significantly higher hit rate in exchange for the loss of resolution.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
R5 tracking is very good and it allows a healthy crop. The jury is still out whether the R3 provides a significantly higher hit rate in exchange for the loss of resolution.
I would suspect better tracking with R3 because the R3 does 60 AF calculations / sec while the R5 does 20 AF calculations / sec. 1632669938524.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Tracking isn’t the only part of AF. The R3 makes the 400 and 600 focus faster. The stacked sensor lets you keep track of the subjects. The resolution is still enough for a billboard. I don’t crop my wildlife photos, not everyone photographs birds.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Stand close to a billboard. lol

I have 24 MP on my Nikon Z6 and have prints as big as my printers can manage that are sharp on close inspection. I have 6MP images printed to A2 that still look fantastic and full of detail right down to the whisker. I am completely sure that I would rather have the R3 than the R5 as the R3 will let me get shots that the R5 can’t get. If Nikon really bugger up the Z9 then it’ll be very easy to put in a order for a R3, 70-200, 100-500, and 600 RF and switch back to Canon. If the R5 was on a stacked sensor with a built in grip then I would consider it, until then it is not a big enough jump from the Z6 (and yes I have tried a R5).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Might be a big difference. Somewhat amazing given the R3 and the R5 share basically the same X processor.
When Canon released the Digic X processor that stated that it was a family of processors and that the Digic X processor in one camera might be different than a Digic X in another. Think of it as an Intel i5 processors. All are called i5s, but the number of cores and clock speed can vary depending on the specifics of the chip.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I have 24 MP on my Nikon Z6 and have prints as big as my printers can manage that are sharp on close inspection. I have 6MP images printed to A2 that still look fantastic and full of detail right down to the whisker. I am completely sure that I would rather have the R3 than the R5 as the R3 will let me get shots that the R5 can’t get. If Nikon really bugger up the Z9 then it’ll be very easy to put in a order for a R3, 70-200, 100-500, and 600 RF and switch back to Canon. If the R5 was on a stacked sensor with a built in grip then I would consider it, until then it is not a big enough jump from the Z6 (and yes I have tried a R5).
Thank you for the perspective.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Well, my sarcasm was more to do with people that freak out over whether or not their preferred brand labels what they use as "professional" or not. My thought are, "Who cares?" A professional isn't a professional because of the gear he/she uses. Anyone who gets butthurt because there isn't a label that suits them (Including freaking over model naming conventions) is more interested in gear and self-perceived status than they are about photography. :)
“If you get an outfit, you can be a cowboy, too.”

• Haha
Upvote 0

NKD

Nov 26, 2018
Good read over on his website! Nothing beats a in built grip I am still guilty of hanging onto my 1d4 for straight JPG burst shooting, mainly for GIFs / Time-lapses. Just keep it in the car at all times.
Our Melbourne lockdown is slowly easing to permit the photography industry. Hope to test out these ergonomics at the Canon Experience store soon.

Upvote 0