Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
First time seeing this head position behavior from Geese. Only two of a group of eight kept their heads down. It probably means something.View attachment 200972
I have no idea what they are doing but hiding their heads and exposing their ar@@:oops:? On other hand it looks like they are doing a push-ups - almost synchronized :ROFLMAO:!
Jokes aside - I have no idea what actually they do... Click could be very on the point!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
December at the north pole? You're going to need a ton of dynamic range to separate coal-black backgrounds from coal-black birds. If any are there for the 6 month night!
Or you may use the camera DanP used on the previous page! The problem (amongs many others!) is to find any bird before the polar bears find you:)!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Out on a walk yesterday, with the usual complete lack of birds. But, as evening was coming in, some fellow walkers told us that there was a flock of Cattle Egrets - a rarity in the UK - in a somewhat inaccessible sheep field. We found them, and they were very skittish, and too far away for close ups with the RF 100-400mm. These shots give the flavour.

309A9831-DxO_RF100-400mm_3_cattle_egrets+sheep.jpg309A0009-DxO_RF100-400mm_Cattle_egret_flying.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Upvote 0
Recently visited the Botanic Gardens in the city I live in - was there to shoot the late bloomers with my RP but came back with some bird-shots as well.

Taken with an EOS RP with the adapted Sigma 150mm OS Macro at f/2.8. Mind you: Because he moved quite a bit I resorted to using Servo-Mode with deactivated Eye-AF. Works plenty alright with the RP, though not as many keepers as with Animal-AF on either my R5 or R6. The background is a bit wonky because of the fence behind the little dude.

_MG_7065.jpg

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
This one attracted my attention because of the unusual colors - the legs are not yellow or grayish, the bared skin around the eyes is not yellow but pinkish, that bill is too red! And the iris of the eyes - red?!
On other hand I think it was more than just a documentary shot (so, I like it!)... I'm ready to send the RAW files to any one interested - I see such a Cattle Egret first time (well, I took this photo today October 30 :rolleyes:, I saw a lot of strange things today but didn't expect any birds to take a place in these games!) so, any one interested of the RAW files (or has a photo with similar coloration of the Cattle Egret) is welcome! The last photo is for comparison - nearby (and standard looking) bird!
This is not a joke!

DSC_4156_DxO.jpgDSC_4160_DxO.jpgDSC_4168_DxO.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
..........This one attracted my attention because of the unusual colors - the legs are not yellow or grayish, the bared skin around the eyes is not yellow but pinkish, that bill is too red! And the iris of the eyes - red?!............
These are great shots. I think the eyes become red during egg laying season in this species. Anyone have ideas?

Upvote 0