New information about the upcoming Canon EOS R5C [CR3]

Dec 25, 2017
R5s High Resolution Shooters might have to wait another Seven Years for their Camera

Perhaps it's Time to check out the
Fuji GFX System

Canon appears to be not interested in serving the High Resolution Photography Market anymore

Or Perhaps Sony will take up the cause
With their New 102 Megapixel Full Frame Sensor

Though I must say, I tried the GFX 100s and it was realy quite slow. I think its only suited for studio work.
If canon offers a 70mp something fullframe camera, I would certainly prefer this over the GFX 100s, even for shooting in a controlled setting. Though its a tempting camera with this impressive resolution.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
So essentially the R5C will, for many people, solve the main issue with the R5 for video usage? I fail to see how an R5 with no recording limit or overheating wouldn't be exactly what many people want.
Given that I can now record 5k60p or 8k30p on the Atomos Ninja V+ in Prores RAW, I am no longer so much interested in an R5C.
The overhat in the R5 is bad, but if I realy need longer recordings, I may turn off HQ mode or just record only in my Atomos. So most problems are solved for my work.

In my opinion the R5 is a great hybrid between photo and video. (Though photo is certainly where this camera is at home. But the video quality and AF is a pleasure as well =))

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
So essentially the R5C will, for many people, solve the main issue with the R5 for video usage? An R5 with no recording limit or overheating sounds like exactly what many people want.

I've used the R6 on a shoot, and after a bit of usage I was convinced to get one, until it overheated a few minutes later. Barring that, I'd have an R6 by now, and I'd assume many people feel the same about the R5.
Sticking a fan in an R5 will not make it a great cine camera, just one that could potentially shoot for as long as the tiny battery will allow or for the few minutes before it fills the Single memory card slot capable of shooting ProRes RAW.

I’ve never had the R5 overheat shooting video and as far as I know won’t overheat when shooting standard 4K which to my eyes looks amazing in CLog3 when exposed correctly. 4k cropped mode looks amazing too and often use this mode on my R5.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Hopefully it will have the same price as the R5.
Why should a differently spec'd item have the same retail? My hunch would be more, quite a bit considering the active cooling for starters, being hardware since I would get jumped all over for mentioning any software differences since the geniuses here always say software is free, lol. I get you using the word 'hopefully'.

i.e. Hopefully all the idiots who refuse to get vacinated will change their minds this Thurday and the pandemic will be over by the weekend.

• Haha
Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
R5s High Resolution Shooters might have to wait another Seven Years for their Camera

Fuji GFX System

Canon appears to be not interested in serving the High Resolution Photography Market anymore

I’m almost assuredly getting on the gfx wagon. Love my R5 but I’m very attracted to higher mp as well as a larger sensor.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I think the R3 sensor is just better for video now than the R5 sensor: full sensor 60p recording, even better low light and rolling shutter performance, higher quality 4k120p, possibly slightly better dynamic range, and the bitrate of 6K RAW as opposed to 8K RAW is considerably lower. Although having micro-HDMI on a bigger body is even more stupid.

So without 8k60p I don't see this camera being differentiated enough from other models, but of course the price hasn't been disclosed yet.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I think the R3 sensor is just better for video now than the R5 sensor: full sensor 60p recording, even better low light and rolling shutter performance, higher quality 4k120p, possibly slightly better dynamic range, and the bitrate of 6K RAW as opposed to 8K RAW is considerably lower. Although having micro-HDMI on a bigger body is even more stupid.

So without 8k60p I don't see this camera being differentiated enough from other models, but of course the price hasn't been disclosed yet.
Does the R3 have higher quality 4k 120p? That is nice to know. Btw where did you learn this? I would like to read that. Thanks much!

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia

Fuji GFX System

45MP is high MP. Wouldnt 102 mp run into noise, storage, and speed issues. You must mean Canon isnt trying to making high end niche cameras.

Upvote 0
Outside of potentially loosing some of its weather sealing, will this camera function the same on the photography side of things?
My guess is it'll be similar to the Sony FX3. Much lower megapixels but can still take photos perfect for web. You wouldn't want to use it as a main photography camera if that's the case though, especially if they don't include an EVF...

Interesting to see what they decide!

Upvote 0
My guess is it'll be similar to the Sony FX3. Much lower megapixels but can still take photos perfect for web. You wouldn't want to use it as a main photography camera if that's the case though, especially if they don't include an EVF...

Interesting to see what they decide!
You cannot do a 8K video without 45mp sensor.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014

Perhaps it's Time to check out the Fuji GFX System

I find this a little amusing.

For starters, the R5 has a 44.8MP sensor. That's a pretty high resolution.

Sure, there's a market for 100MP+ cameras, or else manufacturers like Fuji and Hassleblad wouldn't serve it. Canon can make such a sensor, e.g. the APS-H 250MP sensor. Question is whether its large enough for every manufacturer to make a profit on it, and whether Canon can profit on it now. Canon is busy filling up the RF lenses line, and the covid-19 crisis causes supply problems.

[One could argue it would take little effort to make a high res FF sensor with that technology and drop it into an R5S studio camera. Not being able to estimate how much the effort would cost, and how much profit Canon would make on such a camera, I can't say whether it makes sense or not. I do know surveillance cameras are on the rise, in contrast to ILC cameras, so I'm not surprised Canon prefers to use the technology there.]

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018

I'm sure a more modern sensor is better but you're really splitting hairs here as the R5 already has a stunning video image and putting the R3 sensor in the R5C would make no sense as it then wouldn't shoot 8K.

The only way the R5C becomes remotely interesting is if they put the 8K full frame DGO sensor from the rumoured upcoming C500S, lets it shoot in CLog 2, external power port and give it a top handle connected to the muti port hot shoe that gives XLR (TA-3) and SDI.

That would be a pretty sweet camera.

Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
Knowing Canon, something will be missing. I can see it not having flash functionality. The FX3 is like that.
The obvious marketing decision would be to cripple some of the fancier stills photography functions of the R5, so buyers either have to choose an R5 for stills or the R5c for video. It would be very un-Canon-like to give buyers all the functionality of the R5 and then some in the R5c, with the only minus being weather sealing. Either the Canon cripple hammer will strike hard, or the Canon overpricing mallet will make its mark instead and they'll charge way more than the R5c... :(

Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
The original post states "Information about the EOS R5c has been lacking for the last little while, but things are starting to heat up."

Maybe that last phrase wasn't the best choice of words in the context of R5 video! :ROFLMAO:

The words "elephant in the room" come to mind right now... What's most amusing is how all the fanboys, all over the internet, not too long ago, were in complete denial about the R5 video overheating issues. The very concept of the R5c is Canon's own admission of that very problem, as this is the solution. I can only hope that they enjoy eating their own words, and the cognitive dissonance of holding two conflicting opinions simultaneously doesn't cause too much psychological distress. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0