Canon USA teases the Canon EOS R5c announcement

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
On January 19, 2022, at 7AM EST, Canon will announce the Canon EOS R5c. This video-focused version of the Canon EOS R5 has been rumored for quite some time.
I’m not sure at this time if we’ll see any other Cinema EOS announcements.
Canon EOS R5C Specifications (Rumored)

45mp full-frame sensor (Same as the EOS R5)
DIGIC X
IBIS
Canon Log 3
Canon Log 2 is still being discussed
No Internal NDs
Unlimited 8K30P recording in Cinema RAW Light. XF-AVC and MP4
Timecode in/out
The same multipurpose hot shoe as the EOS R3. Which will work with accessories such as the Tascam XLR module.
Active cooling
3/8″ or 1/4″ mounting point on the EVF for a top handle that won’t interfere with the hot shoe.
Full-size HDMI Port
The LCD has been moved further back to accommodate the cooling fan. So this likely means that it won’t recess...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
The comparisons between this camera and the C70 should prove interesting.
So far 8k bs 4k, eye detect autofocus vs face detect AF, no internal ND filters vs 10 stops on the c70, full frame vs Super 35, no internal xlr ports or timecode on the R5c. DGO sensor on the c70.
Pretty different beasts, but each are very versatile it looks like in their own ways. Shall be exciting to take a look.

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
Interesting that this is branded as Cinema EOS. I don't think that bodes well for price.
I’m curious if it comes in over or under the c70’s price. I imagine it will come in just a bit under. But inevitably people are going to compare the two a lot, even though they are differentiated quite well. I was hoping for a c90 to appear, but I might pick up an R5c to pair with my c70 perhaps.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
So far 8k bs 4k, eye detect autofocus vs face detect AF, no internal ND filters vs 10 stops on the c70, full frame vs Super 35, no internal xlr ports or timecode on the R5c. DGO sensor on the c70.
Pretty different beasts, but each are very versatile it looks like in their own ways. Shall be exciting to take a look.
And let's not forget the viewfinder vs no viewfinder and the 0.71X mount adapter.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
It won’t be cheap. I wonder who buys them. With cameras for photographs you see an enthusiast group who produce great work but video standards are relatively poor. Generally it could be shot on anything given the content. I’m surprised there hasn’t been more niche TV production with good actors / scripts using this type of gear on a low budget but making it big time. Image quality is great, content tends to be the issue.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
It’s a hot mess. Want NDs? Get a C70… want full frame and raw? Get a R5C… want CLog 2… C300MkIII… maybe just buy a Red and get consistent codecs and color science? I’m really not liking this omission of features. NDs belong on the Cinema line. It’s a bit ridiculous to leave it out. This is purely done in the interest of segmentation.

Seems all you gain is a fan and timecode over the R5.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Looking forward to seeing this. What are the price predictions for this? I have seen everything from $4600.00 all the way up to $9000,00. Which I think is way too much. I am hoping for $4600,00 as then it will be in budget and I can pull the trigger and order. Anything more and I might need to go with the R5. Curious what the experts think?

Upvote 0
Let a Sony FX3 shooter use my C100 II the other day. He had no idea what it was, and by the end of the day said, "Dude, this is perfect for video." Why Canon abandoned a winning formula (viewfinder, ND's, and built-in LCD all in one body) is beyond me. I'm sure the R5c will be great at what it does, but my prediction is that Canon is going to attempt to straddle the fence too much, yet again.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Looking forward to seeing this. What are the price predictions for this? I have seen everything from $4600.00 all the way up to $9000,00. Which I think is way too much. I am hoping for $4600,00 as then it will be in budget and I can pull the trigger and order. Anything more and I might need to go with the R5. Curious what the experts think?
Perhaps I'm naïve, but I can't imagine why it would be selling for a lot more than the R5 which is currently selling for $3,900, since the rumored specs don't add much beyond the fan, different ports and the timecodes. $4600-$5000 sounds much more likely than $9000.

Deutsch Photography: NYC Wedding Photographer | Actor and Executive Headshots NYC | Family and Baby Portraits

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
My question is, as a hybrid shooter who is 95% photo, but that 5% of video is very demanding (long format, highest resolution/DR/color accuracy preferred), will this be a better option for me as a 2nd body, than a 2nd R5 or other stills body + Ninja V+ on my existing R5. Or maybe I keep the Ninja and rent this when I would ideally shoot long format video on a tripod and stills in my hands but stick with owning 1 body.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
My question is, as a hybrid shooter who is 95% photo, but that 5% of video is very demanding (long format, highest resolution/DR/color accuracy preferred), will this be a better option for me as a 2nd body, than a 2nd R5 or other stills body + Ninja V+ on my existing R5. Or maybe I keep the Ninja and rent this when I would ideally shoot long format video on a tripod and stills in my hands but stick with owning 1 body.
You'll know in a week if it fits your need.

Upvote 0