Canon USA teases the Canon EOS R5c announcement

chrisrmueller

CR Pro
Oct 23, 2018
My question is, as a hybrid shooter who is 95% photo, but that 5% of video is very demanding (long format, highest resolution/DR/color accuracy preferred), will this be a better option for me as a 2nd body, than a 2nd R5 or other stills body + Ninja V+ on my existing R5. Or maybe I keep the Ninja and rent this when I would ideally shoot long format video on a tripod and stills in my hands but stick with owning 1 body.
Same dilemma. I was all set to pull the trigger on the R3 to have alongside a R5 + Ninja V, and then this pops up. Was also considering another R5 but after the second Ninja and grip, we are approaching R3 price territory.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I'm guessing "yes."
I can’t find any Canon Cinema camera reviews on DPR. Can you link to a few? One? The closest I got was their review of the Canon XC10 camcorder. Could be their search engine is biased…

If DPR hasn’t reviewed a single Canon Cinema EOS camera, do you still think they’d get a preview unit of this one? I’m guessing “no” but I suppose we’ll see if there’s a hands on review on launch day. Or maybe we won’t have to wait longer than the announcement that was teased to see if DPR’s ‘not an R5c but something bigger’ is true or is instead as reliable as many of their Canon camera reviews.

Upvote 0
I’m surprised there hasn’t been more niche TV production with good actors / scripts using this type of gear on a low budget but making it big time. Image quality is great, content tends to be the issue.

You want more? Last I heard every actor or writer wannabe was already booked up into 2030. Every streaming service around the world is looking for content. ANY content to fill the space.

Upvote 0
This is exactly the camp I'm in.

I'm in need of a second RF body, and if this proves to be an R5, but with some added upgrades as mentioned, it makes perfect sense for me.

That said, I definitely don't need 8k. So if this ends up being an insane amount more $$$, I'll probably just order an R5.
Seems to be an R5 with unlimited recording. Not very compelling for a Canon C badged camera, imho.

However, don’t forget unlimited 8K->4K downsampled footage is very good. So yes, you will like 8K.

I think price will be a huge factor on whether this camera is meh or intriguing.
Personally, C70 is way more attractive for the price.

Canon has yet to reveal if the R5C will have false colors and other pro level tools. It will suffer in the DR department.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Someone on another forum told me it’s all about future proofing. I guess when smartphones have 6K displays and built-in 8K projectors, all those foolish influencers shooting in 4K will lose the huge audience that likes to view dated YouTube videos. Or something. Probably means I should delete the SD footage of my teenager’s first steps – that format sure wasn’t future proof. :rolleyes:
I never can understand this kind of thinking. I feel a blogger should blog with the best equipment and technique they can!!! "Content over form", yes. But why compromise on on form....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Something that I hope they might add to the R5C that no one is talking about (or maybe I'm just the small minority that cares?) which I think would be very doable would be to add the WideDR profile to it. I own a C70 as my A-camera which I love and have a R6 as my B-camera. I shoot a lot for clients that don't want to deal with LOG footage and I find myself shooting the majority of the time in WideDR which I feel is a fantastic profile that gives you great looking footage straight out of the camera with little to no post work needed. My R6 and none of Canon's mirrorless cameras have WideDR and would love to have it to match my C70 footage perfectly. I shoot a lot of interviews with these two cameras together and can't get them to match exactly which is frustrating. All of the R6's non-LOG profiles have way too much contrast and crush the blacks and the closest I've been able to get it to WideDR is the neutral profile with the contrast brought all the way down and it still doesn't quite get to that dynamic range of WideDR. I'm leaning towards upgrading my R6 to the R5C and this one little addition would make it the perfect B-camera for me. Since WideDR is only available in Canon's cinema line and if they are indeed considering the R5C a cinema camera I'm hoping it will in fact have WideDR. Fingers crossed.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Something that I hope they might add to the R5C that no one is talking about (or maybe I'm just the small minority that cares?) which I think would be very doable would be to add the WideDR profile to it. I own a C70 as my A-camera which I love and have a R6 as my B-camera. I shoot a lot for clients that don't want to deal with LOG footage and I find myself shooting the majority of the time in WideDR which I feel is a fantastic profile that gives you great looking footage straight out of the camera with little to no post work needed. My R6 and none of Canon's mirrorless cameras have WideDR and would love to have it to match my C70 footage perfectly. I shoot a lot of interviews with these two cameras together and can't get them to match exactly which is frustrating. All of the R6's non-LOG profiles have way too much contrast and crush the blacks and the closest I've been able to get it to WideDR is the neutral profile with the contrast brought all the way down and it still doesn't quite get to that dynamic range of WideDR. I'm leaning towards upgrading my R6 to the R5C and this one little addition would make it the perfect B-camera for me. Since WideDR is only available in Canon's cinema line and if they are indeed considering the R5C a cinema camera I'm hoping it will in fact have WideDR. Fingers crossed.
Do you ever wish your C70 had a viewfinder? One complaint that I've heard about the C70 is that in bright sunlight the screen on the back just washes out. I almost wish for a C70 with a C100-2 form factor.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I never can understand this kind of thinking. I feel a blogger should blog with the best equipment and technique they can!!! "Content over form", yes. But why compromise on on form....
Hmmm… I don’t see a Blackmagic 12K camera on your list for your upcoming photo/video trip. Here you are, saying everyone should use the best equipment they can, and you’re compromising on form by only shooting a measly 8K or maybe even 6K. I don’t understand that.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Canon EOS R5C has been long-rumored around these parts, and it will finally be officially announced on January 19, 2022.
Yesterday, Canon began teasing next week’s announcement. Canon News reports that the internet did what the internet does and discovered that Canon UK confirmed the Canon EOS R5C announcement when the promo image they used was named “EOS_R5C_Teaser-01-ProNews“, it has since been changed.
Canon EOS R5C Specifications (Rumored)

45mp full-frame sensor (Same as the EOS R5)
DIGIC X
IBIS
Canon Log 3
Canon Log 2 is still being discussed
No Internal NDs
Unlimited 8K30P recording in Cinema RAW Light. XF-AVC and MP4
Timecode in/out
The same multipurpose hot shoe as the EOS R3. Which will work with accessories such as the Tascam XLR module.
Active cooling
3/8″...

Continue reading...

Upvote 0